It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fiberglass SkySlider Wind Deflector
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

SO I made my proto-type deflector and it works great. and I'm thinking about having a mold made and reproducing these. What would you be willing to pay for one. keep in mind a deflector for the regular ( smaller) sunroof is $77.00 and its not made of fiberglass

I would like to hear form as many people as possible cause if the initial cost to do this can't be met i don't even want to start the project cause making a mold is a costly thing.

the deflectors could be shipped out not prepped for paint, unpainted but prepped for paint, painted black, or painted to match your truck ( these options will all have effect on the price also)

if you know anyone else on the site that might want one also let me know

Thanks

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

Post subject: Re: Fiberglass SkySlider Wind Deflector
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:19 pm 
LOST Addict

Good work. I don't have a Skyslider but I wanna see some pics.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

the fiberglass copyies arent made yet... the prototype is... if i can get enough people it will be an exact copy but in fiberglass

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:44 pm 
LOST Member

I am VERY interested . . . not sure about price. Maybe $125ish? How does it install?

Factory Tow Package
Alpine x001 Head Unit
Sirius Sat Radio
Garmin 265WT GPS
Interior LED Mod
225/75/16 General Grabber AT2's

Coming Soon . . .
1.5-2.5" lift and someone needs to find me some black wheels . . .

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:38 am 
LOST Newbie

I would have been interested but I just had the latest (a month or two old) TSB done on the skyslider and it is now completely quite and I've had it up to 90. However, there's no telling it will stay that way as time moves on. If I were in the market now for one of these I'm quite the DIYer, so I'd prolly make my own unless I could buy it for idk like $75.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:25 am 
LOST Newbie

I'm curious about it, but that's about it for now. I do have a few questions. My only complaint on my 09 skyslider is wind noise and buffetting on the highway, fully open. My skyslider does have a fabric air darn that deploys when open. I don't know if this is an 09 and above thing or they all came that way. What does the new tsb do? I assume it is designed to quiet the roof but when open or closed? Is it a bigger air darn or just some adjustment? How about some pics of your prototype? How big is it and how does it attach? Considered using carbon fiber? Higher initial cost but no painting. If I knew that this would allow me to use the roof at highway speeds and looked good I'd go $150, maybe a little more.
Thanks for the efforts!
Dan

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:35 am 
LOST Member

Rulez wrote:
I'm curious about it, but that's about it for now. I do have a few questions. My only complaint on my 09 skyslider is wind noise and buffetting on the highway, fully open. My skyslider does have a fabric air darn that deploys when open. I don't know if this is an 09 and above thing or they all came that way. What does the new tsb do? I assume it is designed to quiet the roof but when open or closed? Is it a bigger air darn or just some adjustment? How about some pics of your prototype? How big is it and how does it attach? Considered using carbon fiber? Higher initial cost but no painting. If I knew that this would allow me to use the roof at highway speeds and looked good I'd go $150, maybe a little more.
Thanks for the efforts!
Dan

My '08 has the pop-up deflector when open too, so I don't think it's a "new" thing... You don't expect your roof to be quiet when driving down the highway OPEN do you? That'll simply never happen.

Closed - yeah, it needs to be better, but with the design of the skyslider (sitting on TOP of the roof), I doubt it'll ever happen without a deflector.

Jeepin', I might pay ~ $100ish... however not too sure. Keep in mind I live in Canada - so I'd need to pay even more for shipping. Pretty sure I know how you did this :twisted: might just have to try it myself :lol:

Can we get some shots of your proto? How did you mount it?

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:58 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

rabbit: do you have the TSB #
Rulez: i considered carbon fiber, but with the mold price and the cost to reproduce forget it... the copies would cost up to 250 bucks

to all: mounting is with 3M double sided tape

so i got a quote of 400-500 to make the mold, after the mold is made copies can be reproduced at 75 dollars, and to be prepped and painted with just a basic black would be another 75( color of vehicle would be more)
This is my first quote so i'm gunna get a few more...
As far as price right now ( with this quote) its going to be about 175 per deflector + S&H....

I'd love to get the price down to about 125

the deflector does drastically cut down wind noise when it is closed, and does help when it is open

so as of right now i don't see me reproducing these as price would be pretty high... i'm gunna see if anyone can reproduce in Poly or maybe in some other type of material

the prototype is basically two deflectors ( of a specific design ) put together... sounds pretty simple... but you run into two problems... if you have a regular deflector it doesnt provide enough room between the roof of the vehicle and the top of the skyslider, to be effective. the second issue is that of the deflector... most deflectors are made of a very flexible plastic... worked great if your sunroof is 30inches, but when you span longer distances the deflector looses its strength and becomes more flexible... this flex could cause issues with wind noise only making the problem worse.

The idea has been done before ( with a different design) by another person, but i am correcting the flaws and tryign to reproduce a more eye appealing ( looks like stock) product

with the price of the quote ive been given in order to make back my money for the mold i would have to at least sell 16-20 about 25 dollars over the price to reproduce and paint.

again i will be getting more quote so this might change... but as of right now i don't see 20- people interested and at the price listed... no big deal... just need to find a better quote... will keep you updated

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm in for sure, and will pay whatever you consider reasonable and allow you make some money on it. I would prefer a basic black one.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:50 pm 
LOST Member

You think you will only sell 20 of these? I think you are really really underestimating the market. Throw these up on eBay and I think you will have a gold mine. Not all KK owners post on LOST.

Factory Tow Package
Alpine x001 Head Unit
Sirius Sat Radio
Garmin 265WT GPS
Interior LED Mod
225/75/16 General Grabber AT2's

Coming Soon . . .
1.5-2.5" lift and someone needs to find me some black wheels . . .

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

thats true... but the guys who really care about stuff are in these forums... if no one sparks that much interest here... it's not worth putting it up just yet

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:22 am 
LOST Newbie

I would definitely buy one. I think that it should be no problem to sell more than 20.
It would be great to get rid of this annoying wind noise.
I will keep my fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:56 am 
LOST Newbie

Brendon, I have no problem with the wind noise when my roof is closed, so yeah, I am looking for improvement when it is open. Highway speed generally has me close the roof. That wasn't true with the 2 tj's I have owned or my cobra convertible, so I believe some aerodynamics could help.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:57 am 
LOST Member

Jeepin_it_real wrote:
thats true... but the guys who really care about stuff are in these forums... if no one sparks that much interest here... it's not worth putting it up just yet

Another idea, depending on your relationship with your dealers in the area - they might be able to get you some figures on how many sky slider's they've sold - and how many people B&M about them. When somebody complains, the dealer might point them your way rather than doing the TSB...

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:02 am 
LOST Member

Rulez wrote:
Brendon, I have no problem with the wind noise when my roof is closed, so yeah, I am looking for improvement when it is open. Highway speed generally has me close the roof. That wasn't true with the 2 tj's I have owned or my cobra convertible, so I believe some aerodynamics could help.

Have you tried opening one or both of the back windows a few inches? I usually do it anyways, but the wind noise when open doesn't bother me - I simply expect it.

Our KK's are/can be described many ways. Aerodynamic is not one of them :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:04 am 
LOST Newbie

Been there, done that, no real improvement. I don't think anyone could consider a tj aerodynamic either.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:00 am 
LOST Member

Ah - but the TJ is letting OUT just as much air as it lets in (I'm assuming you're going topless...) So do traditional convertibles...

The Skyslider's roof is more like blowing over the top of a bottle - some air gets in, some air goes over the top - the air going in, has to fight to find a way out.

I've noticed something on mine - with the roof open, pull down on the pop up deflector, it get's quieter, but windier. If your passengers in the back don't mind the extra wind, perhaps that's your solution (find some way to hold the deflector down)

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

whats the word over at jeep forum/ kjcountry.. people having problems with the skyslider?

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:09 am 
LOST Addict

Don't know myself. I haven't logged in to JKJ in 2 or 3 weeks... To tired

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:14 pm 
LOST Junkie

I am interested in 2 of these at $125 each that price is ok.
I would want it prepped to be painted if it not done in Smoked Polly...Or what ever the right name is for the plastic stuff.
But I need to talk with the wife, she was dead set against it.
She want to see Pictures of it mounted first.

Also if you do end up making this, try getting into Jeep parts department...
Maybe that would help out on cost in the long run..