It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fiberglass SkySlider Wind Deflector
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:15 am 
LOST Newbie

I have some noise on my 09 but I haven't been annoyed enough to actually do anything yet. I'm thinking weather sealer will do the trick for the amount of noise I have going on. Sometime in the last several months the spring in my cloth deflector gave out so I need to fix that too. But this thread has kept me curious for other fixes too so I was looking around for something wider and came across the roof rack deflectors. They come in 44" width which is what someone else had said would me the minimum, has anyone gave that a shot?
http://www.bikesomewhere.com/yakima-fai ... 1107697698

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 for plowing and towing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:40 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Saw those, but the issue with those is that is that we first of all dont have roof racks unless you add side rails ( I did ). even if you have roof rails, the rails dont extend far enough forward to be effective in blocking air from the sky slider, in fact it would go across the skyslider so you wouldn't be able to open it. so why not just 3m tape it down like the other wind deflectors? There is no mounting surface on the bottom of the deflector so if you apply 3M tape there is a limited surface area ( the edge) for it to stick to) and that's just not safe

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:44 am 
LOST Member

:ROTFL:

Poor Jeepin...

This thread just won't freakin die!

I had to replace my weatherstripping a few weeks ago, it had stopped working very well. Replaced it with the same stuff (off the same roll even), and poof, it's working like a charm again.

Although, I actually considered using black duct-tape around the edges of the skyslider... that might work... just wonder if we'd be able to get it off in the spring so we can open it again? :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

yes I am having similar problems!!! 2008 Jeep Liberty Skyliner on highway. Had the dealer "fix" it with the TSB twice and now it is worse! opened a case with Chrysler and have been hit back and forth like a ping pong ball between the dealer and Chrysler. losing my patience and pulling my hair out!! can't have a conversation on the highway in person or on cell phone.

Now it seems like they are trying to 'close' this on me basically saying it is normal! This is not Normal! Thought of retaining a lawyer and go to court. my warranty just ran out but started the work with the dealer before, also had Chrysler tell me they would keep it under warranty for this issue. If I have to I might have someone make a mold for me but saw you had but decided it was not worth it? Maybe a bunch of us can get together and pay for the initial mold. then get them at cost or whatever? form a partnership? sell them on ebay and split any profit??

I am really having an issue with this - it's been months of back and forth. I have been on countless websites seeing the same problem all across the country. I have actually read some have it corrected, but it was some dealer in Texas that probably went above and beyond what was recommended for their customer... and was in 2009 before their latest TSB which failed!

Apparently they do not have dealers like this in MA!

The dealer won't have me back, they say they have done all they can do. Chrysler says it is ultimately up the the 'Area Manager', she said she is going to go with the foreman's decision who says there is nothing more they can do. So the only thing Chrysler offered me was that I could go to another dealer outside the 'Area Managers' "Area" - oh great - just what I want to do - travel who knows how many miles, how many times, waste how many months and be back where I started with a noisy skyliner, further out of my warranty - and a cr@p load of wasted time.

concerning the weather stripping, is this just like going to home depot or something and applying it myself?? I will do it - and think we need to figure out something - and perhaps a wind deflector - - - >

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

I found this thread - didn't see it directly referenced but looks fantastic and will definitely be trying it out this weekend if not tomorrow!:

viewtopic.php?f=88&t=56847

found it by searching for skyslider and methodically checking each thread. the search which was suggested earlier in this one does not work "weather strip skyslider" - only re-showed this thread.

the search for "skyslider fixed" works, or just click the link I pasted :)

I will report back when I have some results to post - thanks everyone! been being a battle - - - >

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

After working with Jeep service numerous times to correct the windnoise issue, I used the weather stripping solution to reduce my 2008 Jeep Liberty Skyslider windnoise and found it to be effective. I tried to open the Skyslider recently and it started opening unevenly from side to side. I closed it, tried again two or three times and eventually left it closed. Within a few blocks, the front header completely broke loose and the front section of the top flew open.

I took it to the dealer to get an estimate for repair and found it will cost $2500 to fix. I contacted Jeep customer service to find out how they will help with this repair and was told I invalidated the warranty because I "modified" the Skyslider by adding the weather stripping. I explained that the weather stripping could not possibly have caused this issue and would not have been required if they had fixed the Skyslider in the first place. Unfortunately, it was all the excuse they needed to deny any responsibility.

Moral: If you have weather stripping on your Skyslider and have any issue with it all, remove all evidence prior to talking to a Jeep dealer.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:54 pm 
LOST Member

that happened to me before i put weather stripping on mine. i came out of my house one day and the slider was open from both ends. I took it to the dealer and it was covered but it took them a month and a half to fix the darn thing since no one in the shop dealt with something like that. The one guy had to go to training for it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi Any further development on the this prototype?

BF AT KO2 -245/75/16
OEM 2.5"
JBA UCA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

Was wondering if you've made any new advances on the prototype?
We're interested in one!

Post subject: Fiberglass SkySlider Wind Deflector
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

I did this and it helps a lot!

ImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

Dude,

Did you just screw that in to the roof of your jeep? :shock:

Nerf Bars
+ More to come

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:14 pm 
LOST Addict

It might be in the sky slider material. Not quite sure, either.

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Gibson stainless steel exhaust
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
BFG All Terrrain 225/75/16
JBA upper control arms

Last edited by Gageraid on Tue May 07, 2013 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:11 am 
LOST Newbie

I did!
This wind deflector wasn't made for this jeep
It was a universal one I found on amazon, and it didn't bend to the shape of the jeep
And the 3m tape would start to lift up on the sides, so I had to but it was totally worth it! Image

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:04 pm 
LOST Member

That is just insane enough to work. I'm so shocked. Can you post the link to the deflector? totally going to try this out. How well did it work? Opened/Closed?

ATH Steel Roof Rack Bars / RL Super Skink Rock Sliders
Hypertech Max Energy Engine Tuner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

post up the link so want one

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:32 am 
LOST Newbie

Ok sorry it took so long to post the link up
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00335 ... ttom_links

Now it's kinda hard to install its a universal wind deflector
So I had to buy a heat gun to melt the plastic to the shape of the roof, then the 3m tape that came with it starts to lift in the middle it sucks not strong at all so I used some rubber adhesive from auto zone super strong and able to with stand heat and cold weather
I for get the name of it but I'm due for an oil change so tomorrow I'm going down there to buy some and ill snap a photo of the stuff i used and post it,
But so far so good it doesn't get rid of the nose 100% but I'm down to about
40% wind nose reduction,

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:01 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The 2010 ford Expedition uses a 42" wind deflector. Maybe it would work and only $28.95 with free shipping.
Ebay.

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!