It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fiberglass SkySlider Wind Deflector
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:38 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

way ahead of you bud, that mod is already done :wink:

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:34 am 
LOST Member

Jeepin_it_real wrote:
way ahead of you bud, that mod is already done :wink:

I assumed so. Other than the wind noise, what purpose would the deflector serve? Just curious. :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

just wind noise when shut... besides that there was no other purpose

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

This mod did not work for my skyslider!!!

It cause the front of the skyslider to pop off the track and broke the cable!!!!!!!

Does anyone know of someone who can make a custom wind deflecor????

I am willing to pay big bucks!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:45 am 
LOST Newbie

Just a few questions:
Would the fiberglass be able to be painted? If not, what color?

Would it attached with 3M tape or clip some how without modification to the vehicle?

So you have a picture of yours to view?

With that being said and it really works as you mentioned, I would pay $75-$100.

Seeing how Jeep can not or has no plans to resolve the issue.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

I would be interested, pending photos. Prototype or not, photos of it would give us a solid idea of what you're offering. I can't imagine any changes from the prototype stage being so dramatic that the design changes more than 15-20%. So let's see some photos! :D

Black 2008 KK Sport
Rocky Road roof rails
Smoked turn signals

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

found a solution which was cheaper than the deflector( so obviously it wasnt worth making the deflector anymore)... weather stripping... use the search function and type weather strip and skyslider and you'll find the thread

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:54 am 
LOST Member

I may have found a solution to both the weatherstripping problem and the deflector problem. I know this thread is old but I thought I could shed some more light on the subject. I've been trying to fix the noise problem with the Sky Slider since I bought my KK. I was considering ordering one of these bad boys

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CEUQgggwAA

They're about $50 and are 40.5" wide. Hopefully it covers both ends of the roof. I gotta measure the full width of the Sky Slider though. I know the opening is approx. 30" Ill post my results. Wish me luck :D

ATH Steel Roof Rack Bars / RL Super Skink Rock Sliders
Hypertech Max Energy Engine Tuner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

haha nope... i used those when i created mine. it's not wide enough

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:03 pm 
LOST Member

How did you "Create" yours? Did u just cut 2 in half and glue em together? Cause I was thinking of doing that. I'm getting really annoyed at the wind noise. :banghead:

ATH Steel Roof Rack Bars / RL Super Skink Rock Sliders
Hypertech Max Energy Engine Tuner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:59 am 
LOST Newbie

Hello,

Just wondering if the wind deflector solution has taken shape yet? I've tried the weather seal trick on my 2008 but it didn't last. I contacted Mopar and they still only offer a standard sunroof deflector for about $85 bucks.

Chris

"Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl"
~unknown

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

do the weather seal again. cheap trick. I am the creator or was the creator of this wind deflector. The the prototype I still have but don't have on my jeep( this will not be sold). What it came down to was not enough people wanted to pay for it. So as a college student I was not paying to have a fiberglass mold made then reproduce copies and have no one buy them. keep complaining to jeep. bring in the TSBs and make them perform them. and use the weather stripping. this thread is now dead. can a mod lock it?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:55 pm 
LOST Member

so when can i buy this wind deflector?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Brian darn you! :evil:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:12 pm 
LOST Member

:-)r

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

mawlkrawler wrote:
I may have found a solution to both the weatherstripping problem and the deflector problem. I know this thread is old but I thought I could shed some more light on the subject. I've been trying to fix the noise problem with the Sky Slider since I bought my KK. I was considering ordering one of these bad boys

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CEUQgggwAA

They're about $50 and are 40.5" wide. Hopefully it covers both ends of the roof. I gotta measure the full width of the Sky Slider though. I know the opening is approx. 30" Ill post my results. Wish me luck :D

lundinternational.com makes those wind windflectors

they come in different sizes and some are the newer ones are more low profile
http://www.lundinternational.com/produc ... ndflector/

weathertech makes them also
http://www.weathertech.com/product-educ ... deflector/

not sure of the measurement needed for the KK's, but i can find out and if they don't offer them, i'm going to a show in March and they both will have a booth there. I can suggest one for the Liberty skyslider to them. I'm a diamond dealer with weathertech and a few of the rep's come in from time to time here so maybe i can show them this thread and the demand for it.

:wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm going to kill this thread as of right now, i contacted all of the big name companies... some of which you listed. none are willing to make one big enough. the syslider one needs to be 44+ inches. 44 would be the absolute minimum and to be honest i dont think that it'd be effective it should be a little larger. i tried and tried to get the companies to do it and they wont. SOOOOOOOO
my advice is get the TSB and use the weather strip

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Have you ever posted picture of your "prototype"? Are you using it now? Have you tried contacting some of these companies and telling them you have a working prototype that they would be able to build off and possibly make it easier for them to come out with one?

Just curious ...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i guess it's not dead yet, but to answer your question mike yes I did... and I have pictures of it... looks like any other wind deflector but not clear it's solid black. the issue is that to replicate in fiberglass was to expensive and the other companies didnt see enough of a market to produce it even with a working prototype. So that's it. they won't fund it, and neither will I because the cost required in the initial creation and the long run wouldnt pay off and people wouldnt pay the money for them. a plastic one at 40 inches is like 40+ bucks. the fiberglass copies will prob be like 150 ish. not enough people wanted them or wanted to pay. again your best bet is to keep asking for the TSB... take the techs for a ride and show em the noise, and use the weather stripping.

moral to this whole story, i wasted my time/ money making a prototype case the weather strip which is 10 bucks did the job.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

well, i actually called my rep from weathertech about it after my posting. He seemed interested in it and said the company is always looking for new ideas, so that was a plus.

who knows what will happen, but the ball is in their court for it.

They do make nice products and everything is made in the states.

I will see them again at the show and bring up the interest in it and see if they have talked about it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next