It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Skyslider Fixed
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:48 pm 
LOST Member

Hey everyone. I have searched and read every topic I could find about the skyslider wind noise and tried just about everything with no luck and was really regretting buying it. I knew there would be some wind noise since it is basically a convertible top but it sounded like someone was sitting next to me blowing a rape whistle when I went over 50mph. I tried a custom wind deflector, tsb, etc..

Anyway, I found on another board, I think it was jeepforum.com, an easy fix that is really cheap. Simply put, buy some 7/16 by 3/4" weather stripping (paid $3.45 at Lowes for 10' of it) and put on the rubber seal at the front and back of the skyslider. Inbetween where the front and rear bows meet the rubber seal when closed. Clean it well with rubbing alcohol first and run the weather stripping around the corners of the front and rear seal. There is a line in the seal where they starighten out for the sides of the roof which makes a good measuring point. I PM'd the guy who suggested it and he told me NOT TO DO THE SIDES OF THE ROOF. Only the front and rear. There will be a little of the seal sticking out when the roof is closed but it is only noticeable if you are within 5' of the vehicle and looking for it.

This has stopped the whistling noise completely even at 80+ on a windy day. Also stops leaks. I don't know about a car wash but I don't go through those just to be safe. You will still get a wind noise but it is the wind noise one would expect with a canvas top. Don't know how long the weatherstipping will last but I'm willing to pay the $3.45 to do it again. Sorry I don't have picks. I need to sign up for one of those websites.

I tried to explain this as best I could. It is really very easy but I'm a long winded jackass. :goink: If anyone has any other questions I am more than willing to try to answer them. Just PM me. Hope this helps all of you with skysliders. It was night and day for mine and has lasted for 3 months now. What winter will bring is another question. Good luck.

Dez

Mods:
Skyslider fix, K&N Drop in Filter, 7" Soundstream DVD/CD/MP3 Sirius radio with Navigation, Super 44 OR,
Jet Chip Stage II, Mickey Thompson Classic II's with 245/75/16 Duratracs, 3.5" RK lift, JBA A-Arms, OEM Grill Guard,
KC Daylighters, OEM Skids, Hitch, & Tow Hooks

1973 MGB

Post subject: Re: Skyslider Fixed
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:11 pm 
LOST Member

Way to go!

Blacked out headlights/turn signals and smoked tails

"I don't believe in a lot of things, but I do believe in duct tape"- Miles Straume

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:31 pm 
LOST Member

PM being sent right now....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:51 pm 
LOST Member

I am going to be taking some pics tomorrow so BrendonK can post them. I didn't quite understand at first either but once you see the pics it will totally make sense. It's one of those, "Oh yeah...stupid" moments.

I'm having more and more of those lately. :ROTFL:

Mods:
Skyslider fix, K&N Drop in Filter, 7" Soundstream DVD/CD/MP3 Sirius radio with Navigation, Super 44 OR,
Jet Chip Stage II, Mickey Thompson Classic II's with 245/75/16 Duratracs, 3.5" RK lift, JBA A-Arms, OEM Grill Guard,

1973 MGB

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:46 am 
LOST Member

All credit for these photos goes to FDez of course - but here they are:

View from outside, directly at the front:

Top down:

Front Drivers side:

Front Passenger side:

Rear Drivers side:

Rear Passenger side:

I hope to get these done in the next couple days for my own

GREAT job FDez (and whoever it was on Jeepforum if you're here too)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:24 am 
LOST Member

Thanks for posting those Brendon. It is much easier to understand with pics. I had trouble myself before it was explained in detail to me. Around the corners there are lines in the existing weatherstripping (I guess where they glued the curved and straight pieces together). That is the reference point I used to stop. Seemed easier. The guy who explained it to me said not to do the straight parts. I guess maybe because it could interfere with the rails.

If you buy a 10' roll you will have plenty to do the top plus about 3' left over. The kind I used was Frost King from Lowe's but any kind will work. Looking at it in the store I thought it looked too thick and almost went with a thinner size but the 7/16" works great. A smaller thickness may work and possibly be less visible when the roof is closed but I'm not sure about that. That stuff is so cheap it wouldn't be too expensive for someone to give it a shot though. Just make sure you clean the existing rubber strip well. I used rubbing alcohol and was amazed at how much dirt I took off of it.

Good luck to everyone with the Skyslider. That noise was the only thing I hated about it and I was going to be looking at ways to trade it in before I did this it was so annoying. Now the only thing I hate about having the Skyslider is I won't be able to open it for 6 months living in the hell that is New England winter. :furious:

Glad I could contribute something other than wise-ass comments.

Dez

:JEEPIN:

Mods:

1973 MGB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:07 am 
LOST Newbie

FDez wrote:
Thanks for posting those Brendon. It is much easier to understand with pics. I had trouble myself before it was explained in detail to me. Around the corners there are lines in the existing weatherstripping (I guess where they glued the curved and straight pieces together). That is the reference point I used to stop. Seemed easier. The guy who explained it to me said not to do the straight parts. I guess maybe because it could interfere with the rails.

If you buy a 10' roll you will have plenty to do the top plus about 3' left over. The kind I used was Frost King from Lowe's but any kind will work. Looking at it in the store I thought it looked too thick and almost went with a thinner size but the 7/16" works great. A smaller thickness may work and possibly be less visible when the roof is closed but I'm not sure about that. That stuff is so cheap it wouldn't be too expensive for someone to give it a shot though. Just make sure you clean the existing rubber strip well. I used rubbing alcohol and was amazed at how much dirt I took off of it.

Good luck to everyone with the Skyslider. That noise was the only thing I hated about it and I was going to be looking at ways to trade it in before I did this it was so annoying. Now the only thing I hate about having the Skyslider is I won't be able to open it for 6 months living in the hell that is New England winter. :furious:

Glad I could contribute something other than wise-ass comments.

Dez

I'm just around the corner from you in Worcester. As long as the roof isn't iced or snowed over I open it anyway...turn the heat all the way up. I refuse to wait until Spring to open it back up.
I'll have to remember to check this thread from home, pictures are blocked at work from this site :furious: I love my roof and have taken it in for the noise but of course the dealer finds nothing wrong with it. I'll have to try this fix. Thanks!

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 for plowing and towing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:37 pm 
LOST Member

Well folks

I just did this mod on Friday afternoon, then took the jeep on a 4 hour roadtrip to Fernie BC (mmmmmmm... powpow)...

NO wind noise.

Well, once - but i was driving about 120km/h, and a semi passed me in the oncoming lane.

Thanks go out to FDez and whoever it was over on JeepForum for coming up with this!!! :SOMBRERO: :BANANA: :pepper: :BANANA: :SOMBRERO:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

I love Fernie!!

I gotta give this a try too. Had the dealer service it via the TSB on the issue, but didn't solve the problem. Driving anywhere at highway speeds of 100km/hr + is still way too loud.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:42 pm 
LOST Junkie

I have a few questions for thos who did this.

Does any water get in?

also could the weather stripping applied be trimmed so that is not seen and still work?

I want to do this, but the Wife might not like the new look. Personaly if it fixxes the sound she should be happy. But she is not happy unless it looks factory... I will not go into it more, as I might say not so nice things.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

can we get some pics with how it looks from the front a bit further away ( to see how noticeable it is)

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:38 pm 
LOST Member

I'll see if I can get another pic tomorrow. I hate short days. :evil:

I don't get any water in my roof, but I never did. The original poster on Jeepforum did say it will stop leaks.

You could trim the weather stripping down but it would probably be a pain in rear. You honestly can't see it when you are 5+ feet away. I never tried trimming it because I honestly don't even notice it anymore. Nobody else has ever said anything either. You could try using a thinner weather stripping but I don't know how well it would work. Being that cheap though you could try and if it doesn't work just get the thicker stuff. If your wife hates it, you can always peel it off in about 10 seconds and only be out a couple of bucks.

I'm glad this is working out for those that have tried it. For those that haven't, I just want to be clear. This will NOT make your skyslider seem like an ordinary sunroof when closed. When in a tunnel you will still hear other vehicles clearly...especially big rigs. :shock: Mainly because there's not much in terms of insulation up there. You will alao still have a light ruslting noise over the canvas like with a convertible (because it almost is one). However, this will get rid of the awful earsplitting whislte that occurs on the highway and you will be able to have a normal conversation with others in your car without screaming at them. You will also be able to hear the stereo clearly. It should stop leaks as well. That said, it is definitely worth it and easily reversible if the look is not desireable.

Dez

Mods:

1973 MGB

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:06 pm 
LOST Member

Ok got some pics after work today.

This is from about 10' away.
This is zoomed from about 10' away.
5' away
Zoomed 5' away.

As you can see it really isn't noticeable at all unless you are looking for it. I was also a little higher on the sidewalk so it is even less noticeable when on the same level as the Jeep. With a lift nobody would be able to see it anyway.

Hope this helps. Let me know if anyone needs any other pics.

Dez

Mods:

1973 MGB

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:50 pm 
LOST Junkie

ok cool..

I am doing this trick.. If My wife ever sees it it will be after a long trip with a quite top, so she will be happy right?? :pepper: :BANANA:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

it may be posted and i have over-read it but is there a specfic type or brand that was used?

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:47 pm 
LOST Member

The kind I used was called Frost King from Lowe's. 7/16" X 3/4". It is the same weatherstripping they sell for sealing up windows for the winter. Any type will work though. As has been stated before, you could try a slimmer weatherstripping and maybe not get as much sticking out but I have no idea if it will work as well. The 3/4" width fits perfectly on the existing rubber seal though.

It looks really thick when you buy it but it compresses easily under the bows.

Going on 5+ months now and no problems yet. May need to redo after some time but it is so cheap and took me about 5 minutes do so it's not a big deal.

Mods:

1973 MGB

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

I recently started noticing an increase in wind noise, probably since the windows are closed more now and am going to try this but have to ask, Why the rear too?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

This works great.

I'll test it better later this evening or in the morning with a long highway drive.

If you take your time putting it on I don't really think anyone would even notice it.

From a few feet away

Camera right over the mirror

Shot of the weatherstripping in the Channel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:15 pm 
LOST Junkie

very nice....

I need to sneek this in.... I was lazy and now migth have to do this at night when wife sleeping...

Hahahha :BANANA: :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:46 am 
LOST Member

hurl wrote:
I recently started noticing an increase in wind noise, probably since the windows are closed more now and am going to try this but have to ask, Why the rear too?

Thanks

I do not know why the back as well. The original poster told me that and said he has done multiple ones over the years so I figured he knew what he was doing. Maybe if people were having a water leaking problem in the back? Not sure.

I thought about putting it back further too to hide it a bit but wanted to make sure there was enough to stop any and all wind noise. That and I'm lazy. :ROTFL:

Glad this is working for everyone else as well. It really is night and day.

Mods:

1973 MGB