It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's (Declassified) Off-Road Bumpers and Rock Slide
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:32 pm 
LOST Junkie

it was on the front bumper itself

Cookie Monster - 04 Silver TJ Rubicon, 5.5" Rock Krawler, 1.25" Body Lift, 35" Goodyear MTR's

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey MtnLuvr,

Glad to see someone's taking this on with the right design mindset (clearances). Love the look of the Front bumper and the sliders. Count me in for consideration, I'll be saving my money. :)

Looks like I'll have to start de-chroming my Limited.

Jeep Green 08 KK Limited/Sky-Slider - Select-Trac II - OEM Skids/OEM Tow Package - K&N 77 Series Intake - Jet Stage 2 Chip - JBA 2.5" lift w/ JBA a-arms - 16" Wrangler Moab Wheels -245/75/R16Goodyear MTR's - 50 Series Flowmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

justhangin wrote:
Hey MtnLuvr,

Glad to see someone's taking this on with the right design mindset (clearances). Love the look of the Front bumper and the sliders. Count me in for consideration, I'll be saving my money. :)

Looks like I'll have to start de-chroming my Limited.
Thanks. I've put a lot of thought, time and money into developing my KK off-road armoring.

Why'd ya' wait so long to start de-chroming? :wink: I had my dealer partially de-chrome my custom-ordered Limited before I took possession. If you're gonna equip your KK for off-road and hitting the trails, I think you'll like the de-chromed appearance ... especially with some heavy duty rock rail sliders and stylish, high approach clearance front winch bumper :twisted: .

MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs

Coming: :twisted: :JEEPIN:

Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's (Declassified) Off-Road Bumpers-12/27 update
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sorry for the delay in providing an update but some personal matters took precedence.....

Monday 12/27 after Christmas I did go to my sheet metal shop and QC the last order of CNC cut and formed pre-made parts. Everything looked good so I extended my lunch hour and drove the parts straight to my street rod fabricator shop so they could go to town :BANANA: .

This past Monday 01/03, I checked on the street rod shop fabricating my initial prototypes and they had 2.5 front bumpers completely tacked up from 100% pre-made parts. They were short a couple parts to finish the 3rd front bumper fit-up. I'll be going by tomorrow (Wednesday 01/05) for final review of one of the fully tacked up front bumpers and if all goes well, hopefully I can release them to full-weld out the front bumper. There have been a few things we've been working through trying to fine-tune fit-up. They also should be starting on changing out a few parts on the rear bumper and starting to make a couple more of them too.

Today I also located my source for mandrel bending round tubing for my front bumper grille guard options. Tomorrow I'll be ordering the mandrel bent formed round tubing for my first, of several, grille guard options that bolts to my front winch bumper design. Once I have a photo of the first grille guard mock-up, I'll be sure to post photos.

I'm getting excited to, after more than 6 months without my KK, be heading into proverbial home base and moving toward completing development of my KK off-road armoring. I'm very ready to be done, to be able to install the final bumpers on my KK (along with the winch I've had since last spring) and to be able to drive, and wheel, my KK again.

I've had some PMs about how to get on the list for the first batch of bumpers and/or sliders I have produced. I recommend posting your interest in this thread, or, if you'd rather, you can send me a private message (a.k.a. PM). I'm just keeping an informal awareness at this time as I don't yet want to keep a formal list. I need to prioritize getting done first. If you go back and read my very first post in this thread, you'll note that in my business model (of having products produced in batches which means I'm financing them being made), you basically won't be paying until we know we've got product to ship so please don't think you need to be putting any money up to be on a list. I don't operate that way. Just keep saving your money for later this year if you're interested in my well-thought-out KK off-road armoring.

Stay tuned throughout January as there should be various updates from time to time as I move toward completing development of my KK off-road bumpers.

MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs

Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's (Declassified) Off-Road Bumpers-12/27 update
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:51 am 
LOST Member

MtnLuvr wrote:
If you go back and read my very first post in this thread, you'll note that in my business model (of having products produced in batches which means I'm financing them being made), you basically won't be paying until we know we've got product to ship so please don't think you need to be putting any money up to be on a list.

WOW a business plan and an idea... :BINGO:
Best of luck to you sir, makes me wish I had a KK. Nevermind I am a broke booty, and would just be bummed about another cool piece I cannot buy. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:26 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Awesome to ar the progress....like i said on the PM i have the money ready to buy abfront bumper.... ierested in how the rear has turned out... cant wait for more updates

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

can we get some updated pics :)

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:28 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Jeepin_it_real wrote:

Ditto

black horse grill guard
2 hella 500s

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:17 pm 
LOST Junkie

Coliniksi wrote:
Jeepin_it_real wrote:

Ditto

Ditto

Cookie Monster - 04 Silver TJ Rubicon, 5.5" Rock Krawler, 1.25" Body Lift, 35" Goodyear MTR's

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey, I just sent you a PM. I've chatted with you over on jeepkj/forums before. Anyway, I'm extremely interested in bumpers and rock sliders.

2" Daystar Lift
TJ Moabs w/ 245/75R16 Duratrac's

Post subject: Re: Welcome to LOST
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

RenegadeKC wrote:
Hey, I just sent you a PM. I've chatted with you over on jeepkj/forums before. Anyway, I'm extremely interested in bumpers and rock sliders.
Welcome to LOST (and my master Off-Road Bumpers and Rock Sliders thread). I'll PM you back later this evening.

Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's 01/09/2011 Front Bumper update with photos
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

DoubleK wrote:
Coliniksi wrote:
Jeepin_it_real wrote:
Ditto
Ditto

This January will definitely see some progress on my KK Off-Road bumpers. Thank you all for the interest. :D 5 weeks since I first "declassified" my KK Off-Road Bumpers and Rock Sliders and this thread has been viewed over 2,100 times. :shock:

Below is a photo from last week showing my street rod fabrication shop (which is fabricating my prototypes for me) had 2.5 full front bumpers (the third one was on my KK for fit-up and we were missing a couple pre-made parts), 3 light pod covers and 2 radiator and power steering cooler skid plate assemblies all tacked up awaiting my approval to commence full weld-out of all the seams.

It has been a pain getting the mounting for the KK's forward facing turn signal properly positioned as we had to redo it multiple times before I was satisfied. Below is a photo showing how it wound up looking. I think it looks well positioned and the plateau it sits on maintains a consistent gap to the edge of the KK's grille side that is at an angle.
The front winch-bumper in the above photo has been fit and tacked together from 100% pre-made parts (cut out on computer controlled equipment off my CAD drawings, then bent to shape when applicable).

In the above photo, you can also see one of the grille guard mounting brackets sitting above its mounting holes. For those that want to customize their KK equipped with my off-road front winch bumper even further, as I stated in my original front bumper posting, there will be multiple options for bolt-on grille guard hoops. This bracket gets sandwinched between the 1/4" formed winch mounting plate and the bolt-on 10,000 lb capacity recovery hooks.

I have 2 different raw formed "hoops" (from round tubing) on order and should be able to pick them up this week. I'm planning to bring my KK home next weekend (of 01/15-16) so I can fine-tune what I want for the basic rectangular grille guard hoop which will lead right into the wider brush guard style option. I need to spend some time looking at best options for tabs on the grille guard hoops for light mounting, etc. I'm also wanting to incorporate means to facilitate securing wiring looms going up the grille guard hoops to additional lights since I know a lot of people seem to like to mount lights up in front of the grille. That weekend I'll also then be determining the formed tubing for the forward leaning stinger option. All 3 of these options will bolt in these same 3 mounting holes on each side of the winch (thus 6 bolts total).

That's my update. Now, for some of my questions.............. :wink:

Last edited by MtnLuvr on Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks for the the update

black horse grill guard
2 hella 500s

Post subject: Re: Front Bumper Stinger Q&A
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

.......while designing my off-road front winch bumper for the KK, I designed it so it could be easily customized based upon different bolt-on "hoop" options (e.g. grille guard, brush guard or stinger or none at all), use of OEM radiator / PS cooler skid plate or one of several different appearing skid plate options that bolt onto my bumper, different integrated off-road lights, choice of black or chrome bolt-on recovery hooks, etc. as I outlined in my first front bumper post on page 1 of this thread. I've had a clear direction for the grille guard hoop and brush guard styles as those are the styles that I personally tend to like on off-road rigs.

I would like some input regarding the "stinger" style (forward leaning) hoop. To help me with my stinger layout next weekend, I would like people to post their opinions or answers to the questions listed after the below reference photo of my KK front bumper:

1. What is the reason, or reasons, you want a stinger on your front bumper (versus a grille guard or brush guard)?
    2. How far out do you think the stinger should extend?
    3. At what angle from the horizontal do you think the stinger should be?
    4. Would you want any minimum amount of "flat" (meaning non-radiused) tubing at the very end of the stinger for light mounting?
    5. Are there any stinger hoops on other off-road vehicles you really like and could post a photo of and tell me what you like about it?

Please post your info by noon this Friday 01/14/2011 if at all possible so I can review before I work that weekend to, amongst other things, set the geometry for my stinger hoop option. As I've been looking into stinger hoops, there seems to be a wide range of styles and since I'm not partial to any certain style or feature, I thought it might be neat to open this up for discussion and input from the KK, and other Jeep, enthusiast community.

Thanks. :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

RenegadeKC wrote:
Responded back to your JKJ PM. We should get some great Kansas City BBQ sometime.... :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:03 am 
LOST Addict

imo i would think a forward tilting grill guard would be best looking. something similar to boblemoche's. a big rounded stinger wouldnt flow with the lines of the KK very well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

1. What is the reason, or reasons, you want a stinger on your front bumper (versus a grille guard or brush guard)?
the stinger helps incase of a roll forward, but IMO it just looks meaner

2. How far out do you think the stinger should extend?
The stringer should extend about a foot out from the bumper

3. At what angle from the horizontal do you think the stinger should be?
From the horizon you looking to be about 55degrees, my reasoning is it will still provide adequate protection and you not stick too far out

4. Would you want any minimum amount of "flat" (meaning non-radiused) tubing at the very end of the stinger for light mounting?
Yes, just like dirty said it should be a bit more square it should come out on a forward tilt but then square off on top for about 1.5-2ft. This would allow for enough space between lights.... also i think it would be best to have the lights mount inside the tube radther then ontop. this would protect the lights and keep them from being ridiculously in the way of your driving view

5. Are there any stinger hoops on other off-road vehicles you really like and could post a photo of and tell me what you like about it?
as said boblemoches, but bigger

if you'd like i can possibly photochop something up and work with you on it

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

something like this... maybe a tad bit bigger so it's even with the hood... and light tabs underneath... give me a front shot a little further way and i can photochop somethin up too... i tryed to give the bumper a little color as i would be painting mine black... just curious as to what its gunna look like when done... this was just a 5 minute chop... let me know what you think is best and i can photoshop it for ya

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I think it would also be best in 2" pipe

Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Bumper Stinger Q&A?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks Dirty and Jeepin' for the input.

Anyone else have any comments on stingers?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 25  Next