It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Bumper's Grille Guard Options
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Since I had to develop a KK front winch bumper since no one in the aftermarket had stepped up, I didn't want us all to have the front of our KKs look the same, so that's part of why, as noted in my original front bumper posting on page 1 of this thread, I've designed it to accomodate 3 different bolt-on front end Grille Guard Hoop options plus other means to customize its appearance and function to suit each owner's preferences. This week I was finally able to bring everything together after getting formed tubing pieces from my tubing bender and working with my street rod shop doing my prototype fabrication to get all 3 options tacked up. Thus, for the weekend I brought my KK back to my house to confirm full fit-up and clearances of all 3 options and take plenty of photos to share with all interested. The 3 different front end Grille Guard Hoop options are:

1. Basic Grille Guard
    2. Brush Guard Style
    3. Stinger Style

So, below are update posts showing each of these front Grille Guard Hoop options. Hope you enjoy. :D

MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs

Coming: :twisted: :JEEPIN:

Post subject: MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Bumper's Basic Grille Guard Option
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Basic Grille Guard Hoop Option:
Below are a couple photos without any off-road lights:

Staying with my design-intent of providing the ability to be customized by the KK owner, my Basic Grille Guard Hoop option has integral light mounting tabs so auxiliary off-road lights can be readily mounted in a couple different positions. Below are photos with 6" off-road lights mounted "toward the corners":
Mounting lights "toward the corners" hardly blocks any of the KK's true grille air opening, since the outermost slots of the Jeep's 7-slot grille are blocked off and don't flow air to the radiator anyway.

versus below are photos with the 6" off-road lights mounted mid-way across the horiztonal.
When the off-road lights are mounted in this position, the mounts for the "toward the corner" position can be used to help secure light wiring (unless you're going to just come out the top of the KK's grille openings). Of course, being a symmetry kind of guy, I put these light mounting tabs directly in front of 2 of the KK's grille's areas between grille slots. I try to be pretty deliberate in my decisions.

Off-road lights can be mounted at other positions on the tubing, like say if you wanted 3 or 4 lights across the horizontal member, using a clamp-on light mount for 1.5" OD tubing that most major off-road light manufacturer's sell.

Besides offering some heavy duty protection for the grille of your KK and offering multiple off-road light position mounting tabs, I've designed my Basic Grille Guard Hoop so it doesn't obstruct any of the driver's view:

That's my Basic Grille Guard Hoop option for my KK heavy duty off-road front winch bumper.

MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs

Post subject: MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Bumper's Stinger Style Hoop Option
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Stinger Style Hoop Option:
Fortunately, my tubing bender shop was able to make my preferred stinger hoop bent tubing shape, and in a fashion that would be repeatible. This version is much simplier to integrate with my bumper and not give up any clearances or features versus my backup stinger hoop design.

Below are some photos of the Stinger Style Hoop before any light mounting:
(don't mind "Kilroy was here" behind the cardboard -- that's my #1 helper, my dad :lol: )

And, of course, my Stinger Style Hoop option also has integral mounting tabs for auxiliary off-road lights and has them so off-road lights could be mounted in a couple positions :wink: . Below are photos with 6" off-road lights mounted in the lower position:
If it weren't for the fact that off-road lights mount using kind of a trunnion style yoke mount that permits the light to pivot backward, this light mounting position would make the lights "vulnerable".
My Stinger Style Hoop design, in the above configuration, is laid out so it still doesn't obstruct any of the driver's view.

versus below are photos with 6" off-road lights mounted in the upper position:
with the lights mounted in this upper position, they are visible, and thus do slightly block the driver's view as shown below:

Mounting lights out at the stinger end gives kind of pre-runner style appearance. The Stinger Style Hoop option includes a couple places along the forward leaning tubing to facilitate connection and securing of wiring loom.

That's my Stinger Style Hoop option for my KK heavy duy off-road front winch bumper.

Post subject: MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Bumper's Brush Guard Style Option
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Brush Guard Style Option:
Last, but certainly not least, is my Brush Guard Style Grille Guard option. The Brush Guard Style Grille Guard starts with, and builds upon, my Basic Grille Guard Hoop option. The Brush Guard Style provides additional protection to the sides for the KK's headlight (and integral fog light) assembly. Below are some photos of the Brush Guard Style Grille Guard before any auxiliary off-road light mounting:
(the above photo shows how I've tapered the headlight protection bars backward from the main tubing hoop)

Since my Brush Guard Style Grille Guard option is based off the Basic Grille Guard option, it too has integral mounting tabs for auxiliary off-road lights at a couple different locations. Below are photos with 6" off-road lights mounted mid-way across the main grille protection hoop:

versus below are photos with 6" off-road lights mounted "toward the corners" of the main grille guard protection hoop:
Just like the Basic Grille Guard option, the Brush Guard Style Grille Guard above is designed so it too doesn't obstruct any of the driver's view as shown below:

.....now, the Brush Guard Style Grille Guard shown isn't yet done. There's still another design element not shown in the preceding photos. I want the headlight assembly protection hoops to have some smaller steel rods across them for further protection of the headlight assemblies. So, I mocked up each of the three configurations I'd been evaluating...... :POPCORN:

Diagonal Bar Headlight Protection:
I had thought this might be interesting since the KK is pretty unique among Jeeps (save for perhaps the Commander) with the shape of its headlight assembly, so I thought the diagonal bar style might be pretty unique and interesting. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to look as good as I wanted (especially in comparison to some of the other, and below, configurations).

Vertical Bar Headlight Protection:
I like how this vertical bar style integrates well with the Jeep KK's vertical slotted grille and the similar vertical slots of my optional radiator and power steering cooler skid plate below and behind the front bumper. In terms of field effectiveness against tree and shrubbery branches overhanging the sides of the trail, this vertical bar design would have to be most effective at protecting the headlights.

Horizontal Bar Headlight Protection:
Looking at just the headlight area, I like the horizontal bar design, but think the vertical bar design has superior visual continuity. The front of the KK, and thus my highly integrated off-road winch bumper, already has a lot of visual lines, and the horizontal bars seem a little too much.

Thus, I'm leaning toward using the vertical bar design to protect the KK's headlights in the Brush Guard Style Grille Guard option. I've insured there is sufficient clearance behind the Brush Guard Style Grille Guard so the KK's grille and headlights can be washed with a mitt.

That's my Brush Guard Style Grille Guard option for my KK heavy duty off-road front winch bumper.....

Afterthought: Of course, there's always the below option, in honor of my niece who likes to make "googely eyes" and make her eyes go totally different, and skew, directions for laughs :lol:
(no, I wont' be providing the above "googely eye" option" :) )

Ok, that's my update for the weekend on my KK Heavy Duty Off-Road Front Winch Bumper optional Grille Guard options. Hope ya'll like.

Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's (Declassified) Off-Road Bumpers and Rock Slide
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The brush guard style is my favorite, hands down. 8)

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:02 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Nice work! I think I like the brush guard look the best also. Can't wait to see the finished products in person. :JEEPIN:

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

Post subject: RE: MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Bumper's Brush Guard Style Opti
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:10 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

dieselenthusiast wrote:
The brush guard style is my favorite, hands down. 8)
Thanks Rhett. Which of the diagonal, vertical or horizontal headlight protection bar configurations do you like?

kskj wrote:
Nice work! I think I like the brush guard look the best also. Can't wait to see the finished products in person. :JEEPIN:
Thanks Gary. You know, originally I thought I'd just want the Basic Grille Guard option myself, but as soon as I saw the Brush Guard Style tacked up, it didn't take me long to realize it became my personal favorite. I can't wait to be done with all my development work, get my bumpers painted and installed on my KK, my winch wired up and then head down to show you (and deliver some good scrap steel :wink: ). What are your thoughts regarding the diagonal, vertical or horizontal headlight protecdtion bars?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:20 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I like the ones you did for you niece. :lol: I am kinda leaning toward the diagonal. Not sure why,maybe because it lines up with the diagonal brush guard bar.

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:29 am 
LOST Member

I like the brush guard style and the stinger style. As far as the headlight protectors go, have you thought about combining the vertical and angled pieces to go with the contour of the headlight and bumper (have them come straight down and angle in to follow the bodyline)? I think the vertical alone would give too many of the same lines going in the same direction. The angled ones alone seem a little out of place. For some reason I can't decide if I like the horizontal ones or not. :? :2cents:

On the stinger, have you thought about putting two more bars angled out towards the edges of the bumper to give it more of a prerunner look?

Just trying to give you more work to do. :ROTFL:

Great job by the way.

Dez :JEEPIN:

Edit: The more I look at the the pics, the more I like the horizontal option the best of the 3. It seems to break up all the vertical lines already on the front and give it a nice balanced look.

Mods:
Skyslider fix, K&N Drop in Filter, 7" Soundstream DVD/CD/MP3 Sirius radio with Navigation, Super 44 OR,
Jet Chip Stage II, Mickey Thompson Classic II's with 245/75/16 Duratracs, 3.5" RK lift, JBA A-Arms, OEM Grill Guard,
KC Daylighters, OEM Skids, Hitch, & Tow Hooks

1973 MGB

Post subject: Re: RE: MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Bumper's Brush Guard Style
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:45 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

MtnLuvr wrote:
Thanks Rhett. Which of the diagonal, vertical or horizontal headlight protection bar configurations do you like?

Horizontal :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

top pick is the brush guard style. wish i could of made it over this weekend to check them out but i had to head up north for work

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:52 pm 
LOST Junkie

stinger style hoop all the way :-)r :D :lol:

Cookie Monster - 04 Silver TJ Rubicon, 5.5" Rock Krawler, 1.25" Body Lift, 35" Goodyear MTR's

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:49 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm all about the stinger... looks great... when can i get one? lol

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:10 am 
LOST Addict

Horizontal bars for the win on the brush bar!!!!

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:26 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

for brush guard is you want my honest opion, horizontal looks great... but if you mesh diagonal and horizontal and get like a 10 degree pitch of the horizon i think it will look much more sleek... the angle i am specifically talking about is the one on the bottom of the bumper from the center to the side... a similar angle like that would keep the lines flowing the more i look at the brush guard.... hmmm i really love that stinger tho...

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:32 am 
LOST Addict

Unless you run HID's, the mesh would kill a stock bulbs output.

As far as the 10 degree offset, I don't think it would jive well with the upper body lines. Every thing from the bottom of the turn signal up is square. Photo shop any one?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:44 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

photo chop... kind of tough cause there was no straight on shot but...

left is angles with 10 pitch to match bottom of bumper angle, the right is horizontal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:57 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I’m sure that the fabricator can make them however the paying customer prefers (wants) them to be. :juggle:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:36 pm 
LOST Addict

dieselenthusiast wrote:
I’m sure that the fabricator can make them however the paying customer prefers (wants) them to be. :juggle:

:goink:

Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's (Declassified) Off-Road Front Bumper Brush Gua
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

FDez wrote:
I like the brush guard style and the stinger style. As far as the headlight protectors go, have you thought about combining the vertical and angled pieces to go with the contour of the headlight and bumper (have them come straight down and angle in to follow the bodyline)? I think the vertical alone would give too many of the same lines going in the same direction. The angled ones alone seem a little out of place. For some reason I can't decide if I like the horizontal ones or not. :? :2cents:
Just trying to give you more work to do. :ROTFL:

Great job by the way.

Dez :JEEPIN:

Edit: The more I look at the the pics, the more I like the horizontal option the best of the 3. It seems to break up all the vertical lines already on the front and give it a nice balanced look.
Thanks Dez. Combining the vertical and angle pieces with a countour of the headlight and bumper is creative. I had briefly thought about, but quickly dismissed, round circles akin to the lights themselves. At this point, I think I want to keep the Brush Guard headlight protection simple straight rods.

FDez wrote:
...On the stinger, have you thought about putting two more bars angled out towards the edges of the bumper to give it more of a prerunner look? ....
Yeah, I had thought about this, but that would require having an alteration to the front bumper. For what I'm trying to do, I think it best to leave the front bumper configured for bolt-on front-end guard (of any of the 3 styles) without requiring any alteration to the bolt-on guard or the bumper. When you buy a front winch bumper, you can build your own unique dual-tube pre-runner style stinger :wink:

shibby wrote:
top pick is the brush guard style. wish i could of made it over this weekend to check them out but i had to head up north for work
Thanks for the feedback. Don't sweat it, after I get my KK back together with painted bumpers installed, we'll find another opportunity for you to check them out in person. Gotta make paper!

DoubleK wrote:
stinger style hoop all the way :-)r :D :lol:

Jeepin_it_real wrote:
I'm all about the stinger... looks great... when can i get one? lol

Is Stinger appeal a New York thing? :lol: Thanks for your input. I knew designing my KK off-road front winch bumper to readily accomodate different bolt-on front end protection / grille guards was the right thing to do. :JEEPIN:

Diggerfreek wrote:
Horizontal bars for the win on the brush bar!!!!
Thanks for the feedback. Glad to see your still around the forum once in a while :wink:

Jeepin_it_real wrote:
for brush guard is you want my honest opion, horizontal looks great... but if you mesh diagonal and horizontal and get like a 10 degree pitch of the horizon i think it will look much more sleek... the angle i am specifically talking about is the one on the bottom of the bumper from the center to the side... a similar angle like that would keep the lines flowing the more i look at the brush guard.... hmmm i really love that stinger tho...
Creative idea. I've seen some brush guards like this but I don't want to introduce another angle of lines. You could solve your dilema and just plan to purchase both Stinger and Brush Guard and then swap them whenever you feel like it :wink:

dieselenthusiast wrote:
Yeah, except as you know, my business model (after I get past this developmental phase) is that I'll be having my KK off-road products made in batches by steel fab shops which, although it means I'm 100% financing the fabrication, it should allow better economies of scale and thus better pricing per unit than if just building one at a time after an order is placed. Plus that means once an order is taken, the parts will ship quick. Just explainin' my :2cents:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 25  Next