It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's Front Bumper Brush Guard Protection Bars
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ok, regarding orientation of the headlight protection bars for the full-width Brush Guard grille guard, here's more info....

Last Sunday, before I took my KK back to my street rod shop Monday morning, I did more experimenting with the headlight protection bar configurations:

Here's a photo of the light pattern coming from the side with the horizontal headlight protection bars:
In this photo, the horizontal "darkness" between light patterns is NOT from any of the horizontal protection bars. It is the separation between the KK's headlight and it's integral fog/driving light. When I turned off the fog light, the entire bottom light pattern disappeared.

Here's a photo of the light pattern coming from the side with the vertical headlight protection bars:
In this photo, in addition to the horizontal "darkness" separating the headlight and fog light patterns like the other side, you can also see a lot of vertical striping and dark areas. I was surprised how much the side with the vertical protection bars had its light pattern affected. After doing more research, contemporary head lamps, including the KK's, have segmented or other specially designed rear reflectors optimized to disperse the light primarily horizontally. Thus, the multiple vertical striping that is visible is from all the horizontal light segments hitting the same few vertical headlight protection bars. :dizzy:

So, here's a side by side comparison:
In the above photo, I turned off the KK's fog lights. Pretty noticeable between the horizontal protection bars on the left and the vertical protection bars on the right, don't you think?

Thus, I'm having my street rod fabricator (of my prototype bumpers) weld in steel rod protection bars in the horizontal orientation.

MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs

Coming: :twisted: :JEEPIN:

Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's (Declassified) Off-Road Bumpers and Rock Slide
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:40 pm 
LOST Addict

I still lurk around :mrgreen:

With the KK section being as large as it is, the forum runs itself now :P

Thanks for the headlight diffusion pictures!!

P.S. NY Theory: Stinger style bars help to deflect mislead pedestrians out and away from the main vehicle body while still scoring maximum points for the collision :jester:

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
P.S. NY Theory: Stinger style bars help to deflect mislead pedestrians out and away from the main vehicle body while still scoring maximum points for the collision :jester:

:ROTFL: :ROTFL:

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:11 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Diggerfreek wrote:

couldnt have worded it any better myself...

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's Off-Road Rear Bumper-03/09/11 update
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ok, quick little update until I can post more sometime this weekend:

Here's the type of company my KK has been keeping while in the street rod and customization shop:
Needless to say, my KK (or any off-road vehicle) stands uniquely out amongst all the street rods and classic cars that roll through their shop. :wink: My tanKK stands out!

In the below photo from last week, you can see one tacked up rear bumper on the shop floor and one nearly done being fit-up on the KK:
Note in this photo behind the rear bumper on the shop floor is a pile consisting of three front bumpers, radiator skid plates and grille guards. The street rod shop is getting pressed for space (due to too much business) and is getting anxious to get my KK projects cleared out whenever I'm satisfied we're complete. They've been great to work with. :)

Tomorrow (Thursday 03/10), I'll be reviewing rear bumper fit-up after completion of full welding and dress-out. Man, I was surprised by the difference in appearance of the rear bumper once it got full welded and dressed out. That should be the last thing I need to proof then the parts need to get finished. I'm going to have the off-road bumpers and one each of the grille guards for my KK powder coated matte black. We're currently waiting for the metal blaster shop to clear out a backlog created by the rain and high humidity this week before they can get to blasting my KK's off-road armor. Currently, unless more rain or high humidity rolls through town, they should be able to media blast my KK armor hopefully late next week. Then promptly after blasting to bare white metal, the parts will go to my powder coater for prompt powder coating. All the other parts (e.g. not for my personal KK) are just going to be primered by the street rod shop. Yet to be seen if they'll have paint booth time later this week or not. If not, then should be next week. I'm having all the other armor pieces, including the front bumper for my beta tester and my jig-master pieces for getting quotes on batch production, primered for basic protection from oxidation.

Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to post another update, including some shots of the fully welded and dressed rear bumper on my KK as well as any other updates. So far, the fabrication is coming together as intended (other than how long it all took) and I'm quite pleased with the end results. :D I can't wait to get my KK armor powder coated and installed. Now that will be one heck of an update in the next month or so. In the interim, I'm working on very detailed (like my "how-to's" and most posts) installation instructions that will get tested during installation on my KK then on the beta tester. Then it's on to upgrade my KK to the JBA 4" Adjust-A-Strut lift I've got on order. :twisted:

Also, forgot to start this thread with a :shock: .......... 4,200 + views of this thread and counting.........thank you all for your interest, support and encouragement. I'm looking forward to bringing some heavy duty off-road armor products to the KK community. :JEEPIN:

MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:26 am 
LOST Addict

Boy, your KK hangs out with some shady customers :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

Thank again for a progress update! I can't wait to see your KK dressed out. :JEEPIN:

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:05 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

as always I'm impressed and can't wait for more info!

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:06 am 
LOST Newbie

I'm looking at getting a Liberty...if these bumpers and sliders go live...I just might have to bite the bullet and say the hell with 5 bucks a gallon and get myself a KK.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:55 am 
LOST Junkie

im still interested :]

Cookie Monster - 04 Silver TJ Rubicon, 5.5" Rock Krawler, 1.25" Body Lift, 35" Goodyear MTR's

Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's Off-Road Bumper - 03/12/2011 Update
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

As mentioned in my previous post, I went this past Thursday to check the weld-out and dress-out of my Heavy Duty KK Off-Road Rear Bumper at the street rod shop that has been fabricating my prototypes (including the bumpers for me and my beta tester plus an extra that I'll be using to take to local steel fab shops to get quotes on having batches reproduced). Everything looked pretty good. Had few small items for them to address, but it was great to see the rear bumper pretty much fully dressed out. The weather finally broke in Kansas City in the second half of the week as we had sunshine and 60F+, so they had my KK sitting outside their shop for my review. It hasn't been very often that my KK has seen daylight during the developmental phase of my KK armor.

So, here's some photos:

Note, you can see how much I still need to trim the rear fender flares up based upon all the clearance being gained. Also will have to have the exhaust resonator raised on this passenger side and finish my EVAP canister relocation on the driver's side to fully capitalize on all the clearance gained in the rear in the critical wheel path.

In the above mark-up, I've circled the exhaust resonator on the right/passenger side that I'll have to have raised and then the fuel tank's EVAP canistor I'm going to relocate/reposition and better protect on the left/driver's side. I hope that further clarifies my comment about repositioning these items on each side in order to capitalize on the notably increased clearances my Basic Heavy Duty Rear Bumper provides in the wheel path. This will definitely help get clear of, and the departure from, obstacles at the rear when wheelin. :JEEPIN:

Here's a close-up of a large, 3/4" pin diameter, 9,500 lb capacity, D-ring mounted to the nearly 1.25" wide recovery shackle tab. As some have commented, my shackle tabs are further out to the side than other rear bumpers on other off-road vehicles. I designed my Heavy Duty Rear Bumper with the shackle tabs out to the sides, beyond the sides of the opening of the KK's rear tailgate, so they wouldn't be 2 more knee-knockers when you're putting cargo in and out of the back of the KK. Took some additional design and fabrication work to do so, but I know in the long run I'll be glad I did so.

Here you can see the large, heavy duty, round bar that tapers up from the bottom of the rear's main structural tubing (and bottom protective skid surface) up to the back of the tow hitch receiver. If you recall from page 1 of this thread, my OEM tow hitch receiver had taken some serious beatings, so much that the bottom half of the steel reinforcing ring around the receiver got first bent, then broken clear off! :shock: I'm using tow receivers that include the reinforcing ring, but have added the heavy round bar tapering up to it to act as a skid for it and to help protect it. The tapered round bars are also where safety chains to any towed load would attach and since they also taper out sideways, they help keep your legs from running into the side of the tow receiver when loading gear into or out of the KK's cargo area.

Full on side view where you can clearly see how much clearance is being gained in the wheel path, and back corner, by how much of the rear fender flare I'm going to have to trim off as well as how much the exhaust resonator will have to be raised. You can also see from this perspective that not only does my KK Rear Bumper increase clearances vertically (as seen in earlier photos above), but also horizontally tucks in tighter and closer (as close as physically possible) to the KK's body on the outer portions, which are in-line with the wheel path, which is critical when navigating your KK onto and off-of trail obstacles.

This view also shows that with the KK having the under-tail spare tire, and the OEM structure formed out and around it, without cutting into the OEM structure out and around the spare, any rear bumper is still going to have to stick out more than on other off-road vehicles that do not have an under-tail spare tire (e.g. KJ, XJ, JK, etc.). Since I know from experience the longer tail of the KK will take some hits when off-road, in my Heavy Duty Rear Bumper design, I have incorporated heavy duty structural tubing along the bottom edges all across the back horizontals. I know from experience with my OEM tow assembly that the structural tubing, when properly structurally connected to the KK, can take the hits. Plus, since I'm keeping my spare tire under the KK's tail (for now :wink: ), I wanted some serious protection hanging down so the spare tire wouldn't be made any more vulnerable.

So, after my prototype fabricator made a few changes to the welded and dressed out rear bumper, they took both my KK front and rear bumpers, and grille guards, radiator skid plates and various brackets, to the blaster shop. Yesterday afternoon, I went by the blaster's shop to coordinate his work and insure he understood the scope required. Then I went by my powder coater to coordinate with him. The blaster has a little bit of a backlog so it is looking like I'll have my powder coated off-road bumpers and accessories done and at home, ready for installation, within the next few weeks! :) Plan to be doing install on my beta tester before mid-April. After my bumpers are installed on my KK and I've confirmed proper fit-up on a second KK, then I'll be working to get packages together to get competitive bids on having batches produced. Once I get bids in and work through all issues, then I'll finally know what the sale prices will be. Hope everyone interested is saving any tax refunds :lol: .

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:15 pm 
LOST Junkie

nice! my only suggestion would be to maybe round off the angles near the fender a tiny bit more. other than that it great. nice to see you kks getting stuff :JEEPIN:

03 Sport - SEMI DIGGERIZED, Surco Rack with Daylighters, OME Lift, Runcool Hood Louvers, RL Front Bumper and Super Skink Sliders, 31" BFG AT/KO on Soft 8s, Skid Row/Mopar Skids, 8k Smittybilt Winch with Synthetic Line.
MY BUILD: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59628

Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's KK Moves Back Home....
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

A milestone event has occured in my development of KK Off-Road Armor, after my KK living in a couple street rod shops for the past 8.5 months, since it appears I'm done with all development work (including all the part fit-up, welding and grinding) and that my bumpers are off awaiting blasting and powder coating, I moved my KK permanently back home yesterday! :BANANA: :BANANA: :BANANA:

Since I've finally got my KK back home (although naked without any bumpers), I cleaned 8.5 months of street rod shop dust off the outside (even though it had been blown off with compressed air from time to time).

Due to full frontal and rear Jeep nudity, the below photos have been edited for PG audiences :lol:

Now, off to tackle cleaning up the inside.......

Happy Weekend Everyone :!:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Congratulations Craig on getting your KK products to the next phase. I know it has been a long and difficult process. And they turned out awesome. Fantastic work, see you soon.

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

Now that she's back and you got the rod shop dust off her, do you wanna go find some place to get her REAL dirty?? You probably dont want to go to crazy without any frontal or rearward protection, but I be we can find some mud! BTW do you know anyplace nearby to go just for a quick afternoon and not a day trip?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:07 am 
LOST Junkie

Diggerfreek wrote:

:ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL: thats hilarioussss!!!!!!! Just like john said, couldnt of said it any better myself :)

Cookie Monster - 04 Silver TJ Rubicon, 5.5" Rock Krawler, 1.25" Body Lift, 35" Goodyear MTR's

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:15 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

LifeLibertyHappiness wrote:
Now that she's back and you got the rod shop dust off her, do you wanna go find some place to get her REAL dirty?? You probably dont want to go to crazy without any frontal or rearward protection, but I be we can find some mud! BTW do you know anyplace nearby to go just for a quick afternoon and not a day trip?

email sent.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:57 am 
LOST Member

bumpers look beastly, love em, i am also very interested

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

where did you end up relocating the EVAP to?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

I am interested as well! when are they gonna be ready?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:08 pm 
LOST Addict

subscribing... haha i did it too!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 25  Next