It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's (Declassified) Off-Road Bumpers and Rock Slide
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

SuperRliBerty wrote:
4KING AWESOME!!!! love the bumpers. How much for a pair of those side step?
You should remove the exhaust resonator. sounds a bit better with it off.
great pics post more
As I mentioned in my first post, I won't know pricing until I get competitive quotes to fabricate batches of the products (rock sliders or bumpers) and my cost per unit to have fabricated in batches will determine the sell price I need to cover all costs to make it worth the hassles. The greater the quantity I have fabricated in a batch, the lower the cost, and thus sell price, will be per unit. I'm going to determine quantity to fabricate in a batch based upon on-line interest.

I don't want to remove the exhaust resonator (at least in the beginning :wink: ) until I get to the point of installing an aftermarket cat-back exhaust system.

Thanks for the compliments. I'll post more photos once there is something substantially different to see progress-wise.

MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs

Coming: :twisted: :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

hollombj wrote:
Impressive looking work.Sounds like your getting all your "ducks" in a row to go into business. I have a 2010 and am very interested in your stuff,particularly the rails. Keep us posted.
Thanks. Keep checking back every once in a while for updates.

MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:15 am 
LOST Newbie

The front bumper is looking great. Its nice to see some new products.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

i would be interested in getting thos front and rear bumpers on my kk

Post subject: Re: Adapting MtnLuvr's Designs for the KJ Liberty
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

stumpjumper_09 wrote:
Ok sometimes I can be a little dense......... You are planning on adapting this design to the kj?
Stump,
First I need to finish what I'm doing for my KK and then have some batches made to see if KK owners are really interested. IF I wind up steadily selling off-road bumpers and rock sliders for the KK, then besides the other KK stuff I'm planning to develop (at least for me), then it would be logical to adapt my designs for the KJ since there are probably 5x as many out there as KKs (see my thread on Jeep Liberty Sales).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

cody-james wrote:
The front bumper is looking great. Its nice to see some new products.

rico101a wrote:
i would be interested in getting thos front and rear bumpers on my kk

Thanks. It certainly has been a long time coming, not only for me, but for all of us KK owners.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

eyehatetofu wrote:
Nice! That front bumper is uber sexy. And after seeing the thrashing your rear bumper took in Moab earlier this year, it is good to see you'll have a stout replacement :D Can't wait to see pics of all this stuff all finished and buttoned up!
No doubt. Yeah, when I went to Moab, I was originally planning to get back and just design a front winch bumper, but since my KK's tail, and my RRO light-weight sliders, took some "thrashing" as you say, that is how I wound up also getting into some heavy duty rock rail sliders and a "quickie" rear bumper design. :shock:

As you saw, the KK's tail sticks out so much further than other Jeeps, that, especially without having any higher of lift than I did, my KK's tail took a beating. With the way the KK's long back end is constructed to accomodate the under-tail spare tire, it certainly has some design challenges if you're trying to maximize departure clearance.

Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's Off-Road Bumper Clearance?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ok, here's a couple questions:

1. How many aftermarket off-road bumpers, for any vehicle, quantify and show how much they'll improve clearance over the stock OEM bumper?
    2. Anyone interested in seeing this info for my bumper(s)?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I think the front is SiC ... If I was keeping my KK I'd defiantly sign up to buy one if they went into production.
The sliders look awesome and I'm sure they will perform just as good. The rear is a good start and I'm sure it will only get better with time. NICE WORK!!! Keep it up!!!
ImageImageImageImage

Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's Off-Road Bumper Clearance?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:29 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

MtnLuvr wrote:
Ok, here's a couple questions:

1. How many aftermarket off-road bumpers, for any vehicle, quantify and show how much they'll improve clearance over the stock OEM bumper?
    2. Anyone interested in seeing this info for my bumper(s)?

Stock degree and inch rates should be readily available, be interested to see how much yours changed

I don't how how the KJ and KK compare * and " rate wise but I'm sure we could get something together to do some comparisons with atleast KJ ARB and TR

btw, fabs look good, quality work feller!

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:48 am 
LOST Addict

JeepinJarhead03 wrote:
Stock degree and inch rates should be readily available, be interested to see how much yours changed

I don't how how the KJ and KK compare * and " rate wise but I'm sure we could get something together to do some comparisons with atleast KJ ARB and TR

I know stock the KK has better Approach(w/out airdman) and Breakover angles, however the KJ had higher ground clearance and a better Breakover angle. Here are the stock numbers for the KK but we would need the lifted numbers before and after bumpers to see how much was gained. Also the way the bumpers are designed the angles will differ between in front of the wheels and towards the center of the bumpers.

Approach Angle, degrees (without/with air dam) 39.1/29.0
Breakover Angle, degrees (with skid plate) 20.4
Departure Angle, degrees 32
Ground clearance 8" Sport and 7.7" Limited. Not real sure where it was taken from that would make the difference in models. :juggle:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:11 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

some of that is also going to be altered some by tire size differences

but, hey, it'll give ya an idea, might end up being a new bragging topic :P

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's Off-Road Bumper Clearances
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks ya'll. I've got some of those same types of info and measurements I've taken before on my KK, although actual approach angle is affected by multiple items including bumper clearances, lift height (and it's counterpart, suspension sag), tire OD (and to a lesser degree tire inflation).

Let me work on putting together a little side by side photo comparison to quantitatively show how much my front winch bumper improves approach clearances at the critical wheel path. I would hope I can get this put together and posted in the next couple days.

Last edited by MtnLuvr on Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's Heavy Duty KK Off-Road Rock Rail Sliders
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:59 pm 
LOST Junkie

tjkj2002 wrote:
HHHMMMMMM..............................

I can think of a hundred things to say to you, but none of which would matter (to you) at all.

To MtnLuvr: darn good job. Would love to hear prices on the front bumper when you're ready.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/
http://www.jeepcommander.com

Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's Off-Road Bumpers - 12/10/10 Update
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ok, quick little update ....

My new street rod shop is doing well for me. They're making steady progress and are always waiting on me to come and approve fit-up tasks. We've now assembled a front bumper half and a rear bumper half from purely pre-made parts (those I've had cut on computer controlled equipment and then formed to shape in order to minimize number of parts and amount of welding labor). This has helped me identify some tweaking to the part details I've had the pre-made parts made from by a local sheet metal shop.

I've now ordered the rest of the parts to finish my rear bumpers (2). This weekend I'll be tweaking part detail drawings for my front winch bumper and will order the balance of pre-made parts for my front bumpers (3). I should hear next week how long it will take to get in these remaining pre-made parts. It wouldn't be uncommon for it to take 2-3 weeks. Once these parts come in and get fit-up, then I should be able to release my street rod shop now doing my prototype assembly work to full weld out the bumpers so I can move toward them being finalized. This will probably be sometime in the first half of January. During this time, I also plan to have my first test fit of grille guard options done. Once we've got them tacked up, I'll be sure to post some photos.

Once I've comfortable with all of the designs and part details, then I'll put together a package and send out to get competitive pricing for fabrication and assmbly of a batch of bumpers for sale. This will then allow me to know my costs per unit so I can accurately know the sale pricing. I'm as anxious as ya'll to get to this point.

I'm sooo ready to have my KK back and to have my finished bumpers installed.

Anyway, just updating status for those interested. Happy Friday! :BANANA:

Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper Clearances
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

As promised, I made up a little side by side photo comparison to show and quantify how much my front winch bumper design increases (approach) clearances over the OEM KK bumper. I am able to do this because before I took off my OEM front bumper, I made a cardboard silhouette cut-out of the KK's OEM bumper profile at approximately the inside of the wheel path (and at a spot I could realign with on the grille after I had my new front bumper designed).

Below is the photo collage I made showing the cardboard bumper profile I made of the OEM KK bumper and then in the lower photos how the OEM KK bumper profile looks versus my off-road front winch bumper design (and in-process prototype).
Just all the air gap alone in the side view showing my off-road winch bumper makes it pretty obvious that my design will gain notable clearance up front, in critical line with the wheel path, to help with approach angle to get up to and/or on top of obstacles.

Here's a close-up of the side view of my front winch bumper versus the profile of the OEM KK bumper which quantifies clearance gains:
Increased clearances of:
    A = 8 1/2" (note: this does not include the little black air dam which I had removed a long time ago)
    B = 5"
    C = 3 3/4"
    D = > 3 /2"
    E = nearly 2"

FYI, F = 8" (hang-down below bottom of the forward facing turn signal)

I worked my design a lot, which added some additional surfaces and complexity to it, in order to maximize these clearance improvements over OEM. As you can see from the Front View in the first photo, the clearances would only increase the closer to the outside of the bumper you go (but conversely, the clearances decrease as you go toward the center of the front bumper in order to have enough room to mount a winch, which is why I mounted my winch up high).

:rockon:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:15 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

That’s good data and takes out a lot of the guess work……….. Good Job! Image

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:01 am 
LOST Addict

would you happen to have a pic of the front bumper with the skid removed?

Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper A Long Time Coming
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:43 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Wow, while responding to another thread, I came upon one of my earlier posts in this thread, where in response to the below photo:

I posted the following response in November 2009:
MtnLuvr wrote:
Wow...talk about a small world.....

Once I realized it was sponsored by Garmin and looked closer, I knew it looked familiar (although it has a lot more stuff on it than the photos I'd seen). A fellow street-rodder near my dad runs a custom fabrication shop and back probably in 2008 (before I got my KK), I was at this shop and saw the picture hanging on his project-wall. I was interested in the KK and asked about it. He told me Garmin, who is also based in the Kansas City area, came to him and wanted a winch mounted and the front made to look more rugged. He told me he didn't want to mount the winch as there wasn't anything substantial enough to mount it to without replacing the front bumper entirely. Garmin insisted he just mount it "for looks" and that it wouldn't be used.

I had forgotten about this KK, but not about this fabricator. He's worked on one of my dad's street rods and is a very skilled craftsman with a fully loaded shop. In fact, he's been my long-term back-up plan if someone doesn't come out with a winch-capable bumper for the KK, that I'd reserve a slot in his schedule sometime and have him fabricate me a custom front bumper that I'd design and that I'd mount a winch to. Small world..............

I found it funny that back in November 2009 I gave an indication of where I was probably going to go to get an off-road winch bumper for my KK since we haven't had any options. Unfortunately, as mentioned in my very first post of this thread, I had to repossess my KK from this 1-man street rod fabrication shop after only getting 3.5 weeks of work on my KK out of him after being without my KK for 22 weeks, but he did help me get some work completed, just at a torturously slow rate. :banghead:

Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper-Radiator Skid Plat
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

DirtyKK wrote:
would you happen to have a pic of the front bumper with the skid removed?
And I thought you weren't into my front bumper design much :wink:

Here's a couple photos of my front winch bumper with the OEM radiator skid plate:

Nearly all of my friends and family that saw how exposed the lower portion of the radiator and the power steering cooler was with my high-clearance front winch bumper design asked me what I was going to do to better protect these exposed, vulnerable-looking components. I didn't yet have my radiator skid plate design worked out, but it is now as you can see in my original front bumper posting and in the below:

My radiator skid plate design provides the same amount of access to the oil filter as the OEM radiator skid plate back mounts do (as Boblemoche asked :) ), yet provides better, and tapered skid-style, protection for the lower portion of the radiator and the PS cooler. Like I mentioned in my original front bumper feature posting, now that I've got the geometry of my radiator skid plate worked out, it is easy for me to offer several difference styles with different computer-cut patterns at the front (and I've got lots of ideas :twisted: ).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 25  Next