It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's JBA 4" Adjust-A-Strut Lift update report
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

During my 1,400 mile weekend trip, the JBA 4" AaS lift did good (although sitting up higher, I certainly noticed the strong cross winds heading across Kansas -- although they had "high wind" advisories posted that day for truckers).

Some, but not all, of the "clunking" type noises I've been hearing as I go over bumps has been due to stuff in the KK's rear floor storage area. I removed all that stuff (2x6 scrap, lug nut cross bar wrench, tow strap, hitch pin, etc.) after getting back and the noises are noticeable less, but there still is a small "clunk" sound when the rear goes over a bump or something.

The front is pretty quiet, other than upon stopping there is still a small banjo string type sound when the front end relieves and comes up a little after complete stop. I'm thinking this is the spring of the coil-over relieving on either the top, bottom or middle plate (since my coil-overs consist of 2 springs each -- I think because Marlin was having spring supplier issues).

All that said, I'm still happy with the JBA 4" AaS lift. I'll have a better report in a month after testing it out in Moab.

MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs

Coming: :twisted: :JEEPIN:

Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's Rock Sliders
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ok, few quick photos of my Heavy Duty Rock Rail Sliders while in Colorado:

(the longest rock rails possible for the KK's rocker guard panels)

(you can see the mid-brace and how far out the slider rail tubing extends in this photo)

MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs

Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's Heavy Duty Basic Off-Road Rear Bumper
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

And here's some photos of my Heavy Duty Basic Off-Road KK Rear Bumper:

(liking the dramatic improvement in departure clearances, which is really rough on the KK versus other Jeeps)

(still before getting the exhaust resonator raised on the passenger side and before relocating the EVAP canister on the driver's side to gain even more clearance underneath just inside the critical wheel path)

The reason I made this mad-dash to Colorado was to clear out a storage unit I had in Fort Collins that contained a lot of my camping and backpacking gear. I need some of the camping gear for Pastafari Moab trip coming up. I tell you, as I was loading my KK up while cleaning out the storage unit, I sure was glad I designed my rear bumper with the recovery shackle tabs outboard as I did because not once did I hit my legs on them :D . The heavy duty round rod that taperes down and out from the tow hitch receiver serves multiple purposes, it acts as a skid plate for the receiver that hangs out, it is a connection point for safety chains when towing and by flaring outward and being rounded, they also keep you from knocking your legs into the receiver hitch when shifting sideways leaning into the KK. The scuff plate on top of the bumper worked out well too. I'm very pleased with the functionality of the rear bumper.

Tomorrow night I'll go back to the front and start posting photos of the various Grille Guard Protective Hoop options.... :CAMPING:

Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's (Declassified) Off-Road Bumpers and Rock Slide
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:22 am 
LOST Junkie

My lift was cranked up to high, was sitting about 5" the kk is not made for this so bumpers to lower it slightly would work

Lifted by JEEPIN BY AL - Get yours by following my link

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've been on this site for quite awhile, finally decided to register haha.

No Liberty yet, hopefully soon..

Anyway...

I know you haven't had the lift on for too long, but would there be a solid axle swap in the future? I set of 35's would look suhweet on your KK. Either way, the bumpers are fantastic!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

E2 wrote:
My lift was cranked up to high, was sitting about 5" the kk is not made for this so bumpers to lower it slightly would work
Gotcha.

Shoey wrote:
I've been on this site for quite awhile, finally decided to register haha.

No Liberty yet, hopefully soon..

Anyway...

I know you haven't had the lift on for too long, but would there be a solid axle swap in the future? I set of 35's would look suhweet on your KK. Either way, the bumpers are fantastic!
Thanks regarding the bumpers. Nope, not interested in SFA swap. Let us know when you rock a Liberty :rockon:

Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's Front Bumper Basic Grille Guard Hoop
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ok, a few photos of the completed Basic Grille Guard Hoop:

So, in the 3 preceding photos, the 6" KC off-road lights are mounted to the included "inner" mounting tabs which are centered on dividers between grille slots.

Alternately, I designed the Basic Grille Guard Hoop to also accomodate 6" off-road lights (at included mounting tabs) at the inner top of the vertical sides which puts the lights toward the "corners" of the 1.50" diameter formed hoop as you can see below:

(having the 6" lights up toward the inside "corners" of the hoop maximizes radiator exposure as you can see)

(ready for action :JEEPIN: )

This Basic Grille Guard Hoop will be the most economical of the three options I've designed for my KK front winch bumper since it is the simpliest to make and has the fewest parts and welds. (no I don't yet know any prices, just sayin it undoubtedly will be the most economical)

Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's Front Bumper Full-Width Brush Guard Hoop
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

As you can see from most of the photos of my KK since getting my KK off-road bumpers painted and installed, I've been running the Full-Width Brush Guard Hoop as I personally like the looks it gives my KK. Since the Full-Width Brush Guard Hoop builds upon the Basic Grille Guard Hoop, it too has light mounting tabs so the lights can be mounted in either of two positions (centered over outer grille slot dividers or up toward the "corners").

(my KK missed the snow this winter in Kansas City since it was trapped in my street rodder shop while the prototype bumpers were being built)

(awesome yet fully armored approach clearances)

(my TanKK, equipped with Full-Width Brush Guard Hoop mounted to my KK Winch Bumper, is ready for some wheelin' :JEEPIN: )

Tomorrow night I'll post the last of these photo updates with the pedestrian plow hoop requested by multiple New York KKers....

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:53 pm 
LOST Addict

i didnt like the way the bumpers looked when they were in mock up. now i like the front if it has the full brush guard. the rear is pretty badarse but needs a bolt-on tire carrier. i might be willing to purchase a set, depends on what this deployment brings me. :JEEPIN:

Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's Front Winch Bumper with Stinger Style Hoop
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

DoubleK wrote:
stinger style hoop all the way :-)r :D :lol:

Jeepin_it_real wrote:
I'm all about the stinger... looks great... when can i get one? lol

Jeepin_it_real wrote:
Diggerfreek wrote:
....P.S. NY Theory: Stinger style bars help to deflect mislead pedestrians out and away from the main vehicle body while still scoring maximum points for the collision :jester:
couldnt have worded it any better myself...

Last, but not least, by demand of New York KK enthusiasts, here's a few photos of my Stinger-Style Hoop (first with off-road lights mounted in the upper positions):
(As with my other 2 front hoops, they come with mounting tabs for putting lights in 2 different positions)

(6" off-road lights mounted to upper tabs on Stinger Style Hoop)

For those that prefer the lights mounted below the Stinger:

(Personally, I like this perspective and with the lights mounted below the Stinger)

(Stinger equipped Front Winch Bumpered KK ready for action :JEEPIN: )

Hope this series of photos has provided good shots of the various configurations that some had expressed an interest in.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:01 am 
LOST Junkie

still loving the stinger, us NY's love them stingers :D :D :D :D

Cookie Monster - 04 Silver TJ Rubicon, 5.5" Rock Krawler, 1.25" Body Lift, 35" Goodyear MTR's

Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's Off-Road Rear Bumper-EVAP Canister Relocate
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

For my Heavy Duty Basic Rear Bumper, installed my EVAP Canister relocation mod today.

Now you see it:

...now you don't:

Way back a year ago, when I still had my OEM rear bumper which hung down much lower, I still wacked my OEM EVAP Canister mounting bracket multiple times while wheelin' off-road -- so much so that the plastic bracket had broken and lost pieces somewhere. Thus, with my new high wheel path clearance Basic Rear Bumper, I knew it was unacceptable to leave the EVAP Canister hanging down in the OEM position which would now be even more exposed and suspectible to damage (or even being ripped off the KK by a rock :shock: ).

Changing the EVAP Canister so it doesn't hang down low was critical so I could fully make use of the high clearance I've created in the critical wheel path on the driver's side. Now, Monday I've got a lunch appointment at a muffler shop near work to have them raise the exhaust resonator up so the passenger side will also have maximum departure clearances.

Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's Heavy Duty Basic Rear Bumper - Exhaust Raised
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Think I've worked out a little operational issue with relocating the KK's EVAP Canister. Time will tell...... :juggle:

Again for my Heavy Duty Basic Rear Bumper, increased real-world departure clearances on the passenger side by having the exhaust system end redone and raised (and had the exhaust resonator removed).

Before you could really see the OEM exhaust (and resonator) hanging down low...
ImageImage

...and now not so much:
ImageImage
(basically, this allowed me to gain the full 3" of vertical clearance to capitalize on my high wheel path clearance Rear Bumper design)

While on a test drive tonight through a local park, in between white tail deer beside the road, stopped and improved the aim of the 4" off-road lights integrated into my Off-Road Front Winch Bumper. I think I'm really going to like how they can really help illuminate the trail just in front of the KK. 8) (depending upon how they're aimed)

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:07 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

loving the updates, when you can get us some more info on the evap relocation

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The only KK I'd drive, B@d @ss.

OME 926/948 w/ OME Shocks, 3/8 Boiler, 1" LTT, a bit of Clevis lift
MOPAR Skids, Custom trans skid
Valley Roof Basket with Extension (when required), Homemade fence post crossbars with Thule system to compliment
Mastercraft A\T Something or another...

Post subject: Re: MtnLuvr's Front Bumper with Off-Road Lights
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Finally had a chance to get to wiring up the off-road lights on my Off-Road Front Winch Bumper. Totally rewired my 4" lights in my bumper while installing wiring for the 6" lights mounted to my Grille Guard.
Went for an evening cruise through a nearby park, and the lights make a noticeable difference and made it that much easier to see and avoid all the deer. I've got the 4" lights in the bumper aimed to illuminate the road/trail just in front of the KK and they do a much better job than the OEM headlights and fog lights. Then I've got the 6" (off-road use only) lights aimed to illuminate distance and width. Hopefully in a week or so I'll have a chance to try all this out on some trails :twisted: .

Jeepin' - regarding your question about EVAP info -- I'm not gonna share any info until I've got an acceptable amount of run-time on it in its new home. Lets just say that you can't just re-orient the EVAP and that until I've got 100% confidence in its operation, when I go on a roadtrip, I'm going to carry the OEM EVAP mounting bracket with me "just in case" (although at this point I am feeling it very unprobable I'll need to revert the EVAP canister to OEM mounting since I've made some additional tweaks after my first mod). Didn't want you think I was ignoring you :) .

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Chicken Corners at night is fun. :JEEPIN:

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:14 pm 
LOST Addict

Bout time you get some more light :twisted:

Makes me want to add 2 more to my set up :frankie:

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

Seriously, your KK should be the model of what all KK's could aspire to be! When I first got mine in '09 the first thing I looked into (other than obviously getting rid of the stock wronglers) was finding some sort of bullbar that didn't look ridiculous on it was we have a lot of suicidal deer and elk where im at. Your design accomplishes everything you could ever want/need! Good work and can't wait to hopefully slap that badboy on my rig! :JEEPIN:

Custom Crossrails,Thule Ski/Snowboard Rack,
Silverstar Ultra H-13, Cobra VII CB Radio W/ 2' Firestik
Relm 8125 Fire/EMS UHF/VHF Radio

1989 YJ Stock (for now)

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

Two and half years I was looking for a dream to my Cherokee. Unfortunately or luckily, ARB thinks too long or stopped to think any more. They even stopped to answer on my e-mails. Hope this would not effect significantly on a cost evaluation and a final price :roll: . ARB :dead:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 25  Next