It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deferred maintenance
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:36 pm 
LOST Addict

The end of the semester is a busy time for professors and students alike, so needless to say, some maintenance items have been on my radar for a while now but I haven't had time for them. Now that holiday travel will be upon us shortly, it is time to get to work! I have off from teaching tomorrow so I am going to make the most of it.

1) Spark Plugs
I picked up 6 copper core plugs today to swap in. I'll be sure to gap them properly to 0.43 in before I put them in. My new Jasper remanufactured engine just turned over 30K miles, so it's time. The new engine has been great. No complaints.

2) Tire Rotation
I have a 5-tire rotation going that includes the spare. Rears go straight up to front, front cross to back, with drivers front going to the spare and spare going to passengers rear. I have a new air tool to try out-- should be more fun that way!

3) Front Brakes
Today I picked up some front pads from Napa, as well as some brake kleen and some brake pad channel grease. My front pads are down to 2-3 mm, so it is high time to do them.

Question: Do rotors always need to be turned when the pads are replaced? I got new rotors the last time pads were done, so I don't think they need to be replaced just yet.

4) Parking Brakes
Last fall I did the rear brakes and the parking brakes were very loose afterwards. I tightened them up using the star wheels when I was at Gage's last spring, but now they've loosened up again and will not hold the Jeep on an incline. Time to take out the slack.

5) The Noise (cue scary music)
The jeep has developed a whirring, or humming noise that happens between 55 and 60 mph that is coming from the drivers side front. It's a different pitch than the tire noise of the Duratracs on the pavement. It has cropped up over the last 8,000 miles or so, quite gradually. It is not terribly bad yet, although it will probably get there. I don't want it to be on the Ohio Turnpike beween PA & MI when something decides to crap out.
3 Options to investigate:
a. Bad wheel bearing. Grip tire at 12:00 and 6:00 and try to move it. It it has play, then a bad wheel bearing? Also if the tire turns roughly?
b. Bad CV on the transfer case side of the front driveshaft. Look for a split CV boot, with grease shot out everywhere. I know I could also remove the front driveshaft to see if the noise disappears, but I don't know if I'm that ambitious.
c. Bad CV on drivers side axle. Again, look for damage in the rubber boot, and grease spatter.

Am I missing anything else I should check? Anything wrong with my troubleshooting logic?

6) Oil Change.
I have free oil changes and inspections for the life of the Jeep from the Chevy dealership where I bought it. I'll have them diagnose the noise too if it is not obvious to me where it's coming from. I have an appointment there on Monday.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

Post subject: Re: Deferred maintenance
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:05 pm 
LOST Addict

Glad to hear you're taking care of some things during the beautiful weather we're having this week. I washed mine today. :D
I don't know the answer to the question about the brakes, or the newish noise you're having. See if you notice any change after you do the tire rotation.
When my wheel bearing were on there way out, the noise was noticeable at a much slower speed than what you are stating. I may still even have a video of the noise.
If I feel ambitious tomorrow, I'll tighten up those pesky star wheel adjusters tomorrow as well. Thanks for the reminder.

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Gibson stainless steel exhaust
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
BFG All Terrrain 225/75/16
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:10 pm 
LOST Addict

lfhoward,

I'm also getting awful vibrations that I believe are coming from the CV half shafts. I pulled the driver's yesterday and that didn't help. I'm thinking the vibe is actually from the splines where the intermediate and half shafts connect.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:58 am 
LOST Addict

NAMoulton1 wrote:
lfhoward,

I'm also getting awful vibrations that I believe are coming from the CV half shafts. I pulled the driver's yesterday and that didn't help. I'm thinking the vibe is actually from the splines where the intermediate and half shafts connect.

NAM, I've heard of intermediate shaft splines causing bad vibes before, and it actually happened to me as well. I got a new CV plus an intermediate shaft from a wrecked KK that only had 20K on it, and it took care of the problem. That was on the passengers side though. The drivers side CV connects right to the diff, and it is the original one with 118K on it. It certainly could be a candidate for the noise I'm hearing. No vibes yet.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:05 am 
LOST Addict

Reminds me of some maintenance I need to take care of. She really needs a bath, oil change, tires rotated, and maybe brakes (I know they're coming up soon)... Best of luck to your noise problem. Never knew you were a teacher too lol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:05 am 
LOST Addict

Gageraid wrote:
Glad to hear you're taking care of some things during the beautiful weather we're having this week. I washed mine today. :D
I don't know the answer to the question about the brakes, or the newish noise you're having. See if you notice any change after you do the tire rotation.
When my wheel bearing were on there way out, the noise was noticeable at a much slower speed than what you are stating. I may still even have a video of the noise.
If I feel ambitious tomorrow, I'll tighten up those pesky star wheel adjusters tomorrow as well. Thanks for the reminder.

My KK desperately needs a wash and an interior detail. My in-laws might get me that for Christmas (heard a rumor from one of Santa's elves).
Good idea to see if the tire rotation eliminates the noise. I know they get louder when they go too long without rotation. Something tells me there is more to it however.
Good luck with the star wheel adjusters. I am hoping I don't have to take the rotors off again to adjust them. Wish me luck!

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:07 pm 
LOST Addict

LFH

There's a bigger probability that it's the intermediate because the driver's side plugs right into the side gear...if the splines one the driver's CV are bad then you have much bigger issues.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:15 pm 
LOST Addict

First things first with the front noise though... Fluid levels. Check the driveshaft boots and such. The noise may seem like its comming from the drivers side but if its driveshaft, the noise is right under your rear end.

Tires dont need to be turned to put the pads in. Theres more then enough room to fit a torque wrench in there.

Id run Lucas fuel stabilizer in the tank to clean up a few things. Ive been using lucas since i bought the jeep. One day ill take a bore scope to it.

Also, the noise may be the brake pads or shoes dragging. :2cents:

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:02 pm 
LOST Addict

Maintenance Update:

Tire rotation and brakes are not happening today. The lug nuts are so incredibly torqued on, I could only loosen about 1 per tire. I can rock the Jeep with the lug wrench, and even stand on a breaker bar, and nothin doin. My 300 foot-pound impact wrench doesn't touch it. :banghead: I'm going to take it back to the place that cranked those lug nuts on and try to get a free rotation from them, since it is impossible to loosen them myself.

Spark plugs are done! Simple $2 copper cores and it purrs like a kitten.

I have the rear axle on jack stands and am attempting to turn the star wheels without taking the brakes apart. (which I can't do without being able to remove the wheels anyway.) Will report back on that in a bit. Need to do some research and find some pictures of it so I can work blind. Can't see into the adjustment hole at all so have to feel in there with a screwdriver.
Edit: here's a good e-brake adjustment thread by Diggerfreek:
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=51247

The Noise! Good news. The boot on the rear CV of my front driveshaft is clearly trashed. This is only about a $60-80 part, and it will be a lot easier to change out than a wheel bearing. My front axle CV boots are in great shape, too. Here's the how-to thread for changing the head of the front driveshaft, in case anyone is interested.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=56917

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:50 pm 
LOST Addict

lfhoward wrote:
Maintenance Update:

Tire rotation and brakes are not happening today. The lug nuts are so incredibly torqued on, I could only loosen about 1 per tire. I can rock the Jeep with the lug wrench, and even stand on a breaker bar, and nothin doin. My 300 foot-pound impact wrench doesn't touch it. :banghead: I'm going to take it back to the place that cranked those lug nuts on and try to get a free rotation from them, since it is impossible to loosen them myself.

Spark plugs are done! Simple $2 copper cores and it purrs like a kitten.

I have the rear axle on jack stands and am attempting to turn the star wheels without taking the brakes apart. (which I can't do without being able to remove the wheels anyway.) Will report back on that in a bit. Need to do some research and find some pictures of it so I can work blind. Can't see into the adjustment hole at all so have to feel in there with a screwdriver.
Edit: here's a good e-brake adjustment thread by Diggerfreek:
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=51247

The Noise! Good news. The boot on the rear CV of my front driveshaft is clearly trashed. This is only about a $60-80 part, and it will be a lot easier to change out than a wheel bearing. My front axle CV boots are in great shape, too. Here's the how-to thread for changing the head of the front driveshaft, in case anyone is interested.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=56917

how are the cv's ok though? not a whole lot a play in them.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:39 pm 
LOST Addict

Axle CV's appear good. At least the boots are intact and clean, so unlikely to be internal damage.
Front driveshaft CV, transfer case end, is trashed. Boot disintegrated, grease slung everywhere, joint probably full of sand and grit. 99% chance that's the source of the noise I've been hearing. I ordered a replacement from Driveshaft Parts USA for $55 shipped.

I spent 2 hours trying to adjust the parking brake star wheels. 2 hours of frustration. :banghead: I either don't have the correct tools, or it is just not designed to be adjusted without having the wheels, calipers and rotors off. Anyone got any tips?

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You should always turn(or replace)the rotors when ever you replace the pads,only turn if there is enough material left before reaching discard spec keeping in mind they will wear down more(as in get thinner as time goes on,don't want to get below discard spec before the pads are worn) with new pads so keep that in mind.

The reason is to give the new pads a clean and true surface to "bed into" for best performance.Just "pad slapping" (just replacing the pads) can lead to very poor brake performance and a lot of other problems.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:49 pm 
LOST Addict

Thanks for the advice on the rotors, TJKJ. I got the front brake pads installed today, and rotors resurfaced as well. It feels nice and solid.

Also:
Tires rotated (all 5)
PSI set to 35 in all tires
Threads on JBA adjust-a-struts cleaned up and lubed (no more surface rust)
Oil change
Lubed and inspected lift components

Still to go:
The front driveshaft head has shipped and is on its way.
Still need to adjust those parking brakes, but will need to unbolt the rear calipers to access the star wheels in the hub.

By the way (Gage will like this), there is a HUGE improvement in responsiveness and mileage with the new spark plugs. I'm cruising at 22 mpg on the highway and the engine seems to have more power at lower rpms so it isn't downshifting as often. I had a little over 30,000 miles on the old set of plugs. The gaps on the old plugs weren't terribly bad, but the electrodes were rounded off by wear. The new plugs are plain jane Autolite copper cores from Napa. Maybe I'll keep the plugs changed more often than 30K miles, if this is the result!

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:01 am 
LOST Addict

Driveshaft head and parking brake should be fixed today. Got an interior and exterior detailing for Christmas from my in-laws, so had that done yesterday. Looks like a brand new 2016 Jeep Liberty! :wink:

Edit: E-brake now working great. Didn't get the driveshaft head done. Will do that soon. It's not in as bad shape as some I've seen on the forum, and it only makes noise at 50+ mph in 2wd and vibrates a bit at 40+ mph in 4wd. No "chains jingling" sounds coming from it yet. So, it will be fine for another week or two before I can get around to fixing it.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:50 pm 
LOST Addict

Just to wrap this up, the new driveshaft head fixed the vibration. :BANANA: And Jeepy passed inspection and emissions with flying colors, and has a new oil change and 5-tire rotation to boot. :JEEPIN:

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:43 pm 
LOST Addict

Thanks for the update, Lauren. Did you do the oil change the old fashioned way, take the headlight housing out, or pay someone? :ROTFL:

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Gibson stainless steel exhaust
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
BFG All Terrrain 225/75/16
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:22 am 
LOST Addict

Lol! Neither! The dealership I bought the Jeep from does free oil changes and inspections for the life of the vehicle, so thankfully I didn't have to. :rockon:

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:37 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Sounds like everything is going great now!!