It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Volant Cold Air Intake
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:31 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

To start Volant does NOT make a cold air intake that is made to fit the Liberty's BUT they just came out with an intake that fits the 3.7 Dodge Nitro!

I wanted to do something different so I bought it and installed it. It fits 95% perfect. The only major change I had to make was to extend the intake sensor wires because the location is different and the factory wires are short. Other then that it's pretty straight forward. I've already contact Volant about my install and sent them picture and info on some minor changes that would need to be made to make it 100% perfect fit. Maybe if we can show some interest here they would go forward and make the changes and produce the intake designed for us.

Here are my pictures.

Post subject: Re: Volant Cold Air Intake
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

Looks good, what did you do to extend the wires? did you cut them or make a connector that will plug into it? This just got added to my to do list.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

no intrest here, it wont outflow the factory intake! altough it looks great

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

i think this is the way to go; http://www.kennebell.net/accessories/Ra ... ustang.htm just have to come up with a location for the scoup.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

VegasDragger45 wrote:
Looks good, what did you do to extend the wires? did you cut them or make a connector that will plug into it? This just got added to my to do list.

I just cut the wires and adde about 5 inches to them. I'm waiting to hear back from Volant to see if there is any interest from them in making one for the Liberty.

bily O wrote:
no intrest here, it wont outflow the factory intake! altough it looks great

And why won't it outflow the factory intake? Just the fact that this uses a smooth intake tube instead of a ribbed tube like the factory box is improvement enough. Not to mention the PowerCore intake filter has a better flow rate then the factory filter ... So again, why won't it outflow the factory box?

bily O wrote:
i think this is the way to go; http://www.kennebell.net/accessories/Ra ... ustang.htm just have to come up with a location for the scoup.

Good luck with that ...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

its only going to suck so much air after that you have to force it, thats why ram air is better.

has nothing to do with luck

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

bily O wrote:
its only going to suck so much air after that you have to force it, thats why ram air is better.

has nothing to do with luck

It's about better flow and COLD air ... Any intake system is useless if it sucking hot air. Ram air sucks in hot air. Do what ever you feel is best, I'm happy with the intake system and notice a better throttle response and a little more get up and go. Your never going to move the earth with this truck but the intake does give you a little more.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:41 am 
LOST Newbie

Mike08Liberty wrote:
It's about better flow and COLD air ... Any intake system is useless if it sucking hot air. Ram air sucks in hot air.

OK, agreed underhood air is very bad. so how dose Ram air pull in hot air when its bassed on running a tube into oncoming outside air? unless its hot outside

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

bily O wrote:
Mike08Liberty wrote:
It's about better flow and COLD air ... Any intake system is useless if it sucking hot air. Ram air sucks in hot air.

OK, agreed underhood air is very bad. so how dose Ram air pull in hot air when its bassed on running a tube into oncoming outside air? unless its hot outside

What you are describing is a COLD air intake. Ram air intakes are very short and leave the filter under the engine bay. They are called "Ram" air intakes because of the short run and the "Ramming" of the air quickly into the throttle body. Once you extend that to receive cold outside the engine bay air its considered cold air intake.

If you read the "Features" of that Kenne Bell intake "Picks up only rammed cold air from bumper." They are trying to make 2 different style intakes into one.

Personally I think the design of the Kenne Bell intake isn't very good because the filter element is right next to the engine and will heat up as the engine heats up. Yes you will be pulling in cold air ONCE YOU START MOVING but when you are sitting at the line and during take off you are sucking in HOT air. Also the tubing that is "ramming the cold air" into the engine is corrugated, corrugated tubing has a lot of resistance verses a smooth wall plastic tube. Also the corrugated tubing is very thin and will heat up faster then an 1/8" thick plastic tube.
The design of the Volant intake moves the filter away from the engine, lowering the intake temperature and then has a tube running from the intake box to the outside of the engine bay which is where it sucks the air from.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

the Kenny Bell kit dosent include the tube from the throttle body to the filter box. the drawbacks are they will suck up leaves, water and small animals that will choke out the engine, better to keep the intake up higher in a jeep i guess.

Volant makes a very nice kit, you should see if they will make one with a snorkel.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

bily O wrote:
Volant makes a very nice kit, you should see if they will make one with a snorkel.

First step is to see if they will make the changes to the Nitro 3.7 intake to fit the Liberty. Once I hear back from them I will let everyone know whats going on.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:17 pm 
LOST Member

Mike08Liberty wrote:
bily O wrote:
What you are describing is a COLD air intake. Ram air intakes are very short and leave the filter under the engine bay. They are called "Ram" air intakes because of the short run and the "Ramming" of the air quickly into the throttle body. Once you extend that to receive cold outside the engine bay air its considered cold air intake.

Since this thread is now being shared as info about the Volant intake, I would like to point out that this quote is completely incorrect. Just want to nip this in the bud before it becomes an "internet truth"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:31 am 
LOST Junkie

Mike08Liberty wrote:
To start Volant does NOT make a cold air intake that is made to fit the Liberty's BUT they just came out with an intake that fits the 3.7 Dodge Nitro!

I wanted to do something different so I bought it and installed it. It fits 95% perfect. The only major change I had to make was to extend the intake sensor wires because the location is different and the factory wires are short. Other then that it's pretty straight forward. I've already contact Volant about my install and sent them picture and info on some minor changes that would need to be made to make it 100% perfect fit. Maybe if we can show some interest here they would go forward and make the changes and produce the intake designed for us.

Here are my pictures.

Can you post the link

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:31 pm 
LOST Addict

silverkk wrote:
Mike08Liberty wrote:

Here are my pictures.

Can you post the link

This is from Scar0 in a different thread:
Scar0 wrote:
Bmxer524 wrote:
Does volant make a cai system for us? I couldn't find anything unless the nitro/KJ systems work for a KK(I'm assuming the nitro will, but didn't see 1 for the 3.7).

Google "volant 166376"
Or go here and search "volant 166376" http://www.volant-intakes.com, $269.87 and looks like free shipping. This is for the Nitro. I know the grill area is a little different then the KK, so it may not fit...
But wait, Look what I found.
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=65053

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:09 pm 
LOST Junkie

I can't believe I never thought of this

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:52 am 
LOST Newbie

Has anybody else tried this?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:42 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Looks different but still not going to beat the stock air box and a good quality paper filter
But if going for looks by all means spend the 250-275 bucks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tommudd wrote:
Looks different but still not going to beat the stock air box and a good quality paper filter

The difference is the Volant has 3 fresh air "in" ports (2 forward and one in the wheel well) VS the stock box which only has 1, which has two 90° bends in it.

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:21 pm 
LOST Member

What's the general consensus from those of you running this? Def willing to drop 300$ for any improvement in performance.

2011 KK Sport, Blacked out. JBA 4" Silver, Tire Carrier. 265/75/16 Duratracs. 16x7:4 AR172 Bajas. 4.56 Gears. RRO Super Sliders, Side Rails. Mopar Skids, Hooks. Curt Receiver. SC Brush Guards. RR Mats. Yakima/Bison Rack.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:02 am 

Scar0 wrote:
tommudd wrote:

The difference is the Volant has 3 fresh air "in" ports (2 forward and one in the wheel well) VS the stock box which only has 1, which has two 90° bends in it.

Doesn't matter if 3-5 or 19 holes
The stock air box is designed to give the 3.7 all the air it needs.
Now if you have different cams, headers, exhaust , computer internally reflashed then it maybe able to use more air.
Without those things being done, would not be any benefit really