It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: '08 Liberty Limited "Stuuters & Shudders" When Starting
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:17 am 
LOST Newbie

I am having a strange issue with my '08 Liberty Limited Edition. The issue has been ongoing for almost a year now & two different Jeep dealerships have found no issue to repair...

Since last spiring, only once in a while (perhaps 8-12 times until yesterday), when I go to start my Jeep ONLY when it is already warmed-up (ie. I had already been driving earlier) it "shuddders & stutters" when I turn the ignition on then dies... It sputters about 8-12 seconds, then just peters out. Until yesterday, when this has happened I simply re-start & all is normal- the Jeep just starts as it should. On two occasions I have talen the Jeep to a delaership & had them check it out- they find nothing wrong & charge me $70, for the testing.

Yesterday afternoon, after driving home from work (100KM's), I went back out & had the stutter/sputter issue happen again. This time though, it would not start as usual when I attempted to restart. Instead it kept doing it six or seven times until it finally started.

What is happening???? Why can Chrysler mechanics not find an issue when there clearly is one??? I am very, very worried about this. Scared I will be stranded somewhere far from home, as I travel quite a bit for business purposes.

Post subject: Re: '08 Liberty Limited "Stuuters & Shudders" When Starting
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:22 pm 
LOST Addict

These symptoms sound just like the heat soak issue that I had with my 2000 XJ before it got totaled. If this is what's going on (and I haven't heard of this happening in a KK before), the under hood temperature rises right after you shut off the engine because the cooling system is not working after the engine stops turning. The temporary increase in temperature under the hood causes the fuel in the injectors & fuel rail to change from a liquid to a gas. This results in sputters and misfires if you start the engine when it's still really hot. See if opening the hood for a few minutes to let the heat out solves your problem. On my XJ I also wrapped the injectors in heat resistant material, which solved about 90% of the problem. Some other XJ owners installed hood vents to keep the under hood temperature under control. Even so, I don't think this is normal for a KK. Are you in a very hot climate or at a high altitude? Does your engine normally run hotter than about 210 degrees (indicating a possible thermostat/cooling issue)?

P.S. There is a lot of info about the "heat soak" issue in http://www.cherokeeforum.com, including one of my own threads.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:14 pm 
LOST Addict

Still thinking about your issue and am curious if opening the hood to cool it off solves the misfiring. You could also try running some fuel injector cleaner through on your next tank. Seafoam or Lucas Injector Cleaner both worked well for me on the old XJ. Other than that, the only other think I can think to do is to replace your spark plugs if they have more than 30,000 miles (48,000 km) on them. Plain copper core Champions work best in KK's. Some folks have had misfiring issues with platinum plugs.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for your suggestions Ifhoward.

I'm in the northeast- we've had a very mild winter, and last summer was not overly hot compared to other years. So high alitude & nor ambient temperatures shouldn't be a cause or contributing factor.

The temerature guage in the Jeep has never gone overly high. I can't tell you what the normal temp. is, but I can tell you the guagae has never gone high enough to cause me concern.

I'll try opening the hood the next time it happens...

I'll also try changing the spark plugs, as I do not believe they have been changed. On my old Liberty (an '04 Limited) my friend & I changed my plugs & I was amazed at the noticeable difference in performance.

I will also add injector cleaner (Lucas) on my next fill tomorrow.

I'll post the next time I get the issue again.

Again, thanks for your suggestions.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:48 pm 
LOST Addict

Keep track of you're temp gauge. It's good to know your average in case something is happening to the engine. I know my needle is just below the half mark, I think that's about average for the KK, but I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well, I just drove home- 100KM's, about 1:15 of driving. Stopped to buy cream @ the store. When I went back to the Jeep, it happened again. This time, unlike yesterday, it started just fine on the second try...

This is driving me CRAZY!

As to the temp guage, while I don't "monitor" it, I do look at it as I drive, just as I periodically scan the tach & speedometer. It;s part of how I drive- look forward, check dash, rear view mirror & side mirrors. Temp guage is always just below the half mark- always.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

laI should add most of my driving, 80% or more, is highway.

My drive to & from work is 90% highway.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:02 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Have you put the new plugs in yet? I had a very similar problem with my 08 dodge, not wanting to start and stalling under idle until the engine warmed up, that was solved by changing the spark plugs.

Post subject: '08 Liberty Limited "Stuuters & Shudders" When Starting
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:05 pm 
LOST Member

I'm getting this issue with my 2008 within the past few days. I just changed my plugs 10k miles ago but I might check them out this weekend.

2008 Liberty Sport Jeep Green Metallic | OME Lift | TreadWright Warden ATs | Black Rock Type 8 Series 997 (16x7) | Yakima roof rack | Flowmaster Super 44 OR | Firestik II 3' Antenna with door jamb mount | Cobra 75WXST Remote CB & Weather Radio | OEM Trailer hitch/wiring and front tow hooks | Philips X-treme Power headlights

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

Did you ever find the cause? My 08 is doing great the exact same thing now.