It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Locking differential
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello,

I am brand new here with a classical unmodified jeep liberty 2010 northern edition with skyslider roof.

Friday evening at 9 PM in -- almost -- pitch black, I get stuck in the snow. Ok I admit that 30 inches snow is maybe a little bit for an unmodified car.
Saturday morning, after the car spend all night outrside by -25C, I tried to get it out but what happens is that the front left wheel was spinning as well as the rear right wheel. I had to dig all around the front of the car, remove all the snow packed under the motor to be able to get out of there.

Everything is computer controlled in the car and my question is: is there a manual differential lock that could be engaged ? that way all the wheels will be locked and run at same speed.

Thank you for the answer.
Thierry

Post subject: Re: Locking differential
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

OX Locker. Not cheap but one of the strongest on the market, if not the strongest. Manual, electronic and air lock options. Personally, I'd stick with the manual.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:39 pm 
LOST Member

Lunchbox lockers are an option. The are kid of like a Detroit locker in that under power both axles lock together in the differential. On corners they release so they can turn without binding. They do make clicking and sometimes banging noises in tight turns but wont hurt anything. They arent as strong as an OX or ARB but are a decent cost effective locker. I had one in the rear of a 76 FJ40, thing would go places in 2wd than the non locked truck could go in 4wd. That was the Powertrax LockRite. I just got Spartan lockers for both ends of my liberty, they are pretty good for even less money than Lockrites but easier to install/remove. What was nice in the FJ40 was that the transfer case was nanual and by cutting out a notch in the shifter guide plate I could get 2 high, 2 low, 4 high, and 4 low.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:47 am 
LOST Addict

MarkZ28 wrote:
Lunchbox lockers are an option. The are kid of like a Detroit locker in that under power both axles lock together in the differential. On corners they release so they can turn without binding. They do make clicking and sometimes banging noises in tight turns but wont hurt anything. They arent as strong as an OX or ARB but are a decent cost effective locker. I had one in the rear of a 76 FJ40, thing would go places in 2wd than the non locked truck could go in 4wd. That was the Powertrax LockRite. I just got Spartan lockers for both ends of my liberty, they are pretty good for even less money than Lockrites but easier to install/remove. What was nice in the FJ40 was that the transfer case was nanual and by cutting out a notch in the shifter guide plate I could get 2 high, 2 low, 4 high, and 4 low.

They're also not very friendly to street driven rugs unless driven properly. They only unlock if you don't send torque through the axle. So even if you hold steady gas through a turn they'll stay locked. You have to coast most if not all of it or you'll drag a tire and cause excessive wear.

OP, no factory lockers just the traction control which does a decent job. Honestly best bet for a DD is to go selectable lockers like arb, ox, or Eaton. But those are usually pretty pricey. Or you can go with a good limited slip like a Detroit truetrac for a little less money. You can run lunchbox lockers, but they tend to add more wear and tear and aren't the best on the street. You also need to keep in mind that if someone else drives the Jeep will they know how to handle that?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:11 am 
LOST Newbie

Hello

Thank you for the answers. What a ... job to eventually install such devices on the car. I though that maybe Jeep would have provided an easier way to install a differential locker.

I may stick with the old manual system: shovel, winch puller and jeep auto-control.

thanl you guys.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:36 pm 
LOST Member

The lunchbox versions are an easy diy job. The others will have to be done by a professional or someone that has the right measuring instruments and shims to set pinion depth and clearance.
The electronic controls on the liberty do work pretty well though. I havent got stuck so far. Its noisey and vibrates the Jeep but does work well. Only bad thing is that if a wheel speed sensor goes out you lose all that and I may be wrong, it wont go into 4wd. The lockers will be there no matter what the electronic stuff does.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:03 am 
LOST Junkie

I wouldn't say the lunch box lockers are an easy DIY job for everybody. Probably sound have some experience with differentials and the 8.25 before jumping into it.
I droveb with a LOKKA auto locker in the rear for over a year. It clicks around turns, but once you get used to the driving style it really doesn't cause any issues and they're cheap. $150 shipped cheap.
Selectable is nice though. Then you don't have any bad road manners to bother with. But much more expensive.
The Rubicon wranglers and the KL trailhawk are the only modern Jeeps to come with true factory lockers.

Texans, come join us at Lone Star LOST!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/253493118163702?ref=bookmark&_rdr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

If you put in 4 wheel low, when hitting gas peddle to get out lightly press the break and it works like a "locker" dispursing equal amounts to all tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-tZtHVzJEI

This will tell you all you need to know! YEWWWWW!