It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rocky Road Safari Roof Rack install write up
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:07 am 
LOST Newbie

After a 5 month saga I finally got a roof rack for my KK. I tried ordering a Rock lizard rack but was jerked around after paying for 4 months and so I finally settled on a Rocky Road rack which I don’t like the as well but does the job.

Step 1: Removing the stock “rails”

My KK like many came with no rack, just the stock plastic rails which you literally just rip off to remove. They leave a huge mess of tape behind but conveniently there are stock bolts beneath. Not so conveniently they are painted over the threads leading to step 2.

Step 2: Cleaning off the stock bolts

I used a Dremal tool with a wire brush. This removes all the paint but didn’t harm the threads. At this point I was able to determine that ¼” nuts with a coarse thread fit nicely.

Step 3: Checking the rack rails for fitment, PROBLEM!

The rails arrived not able to fit into the channels based off of the location of my front passenger bolts. I don’t know if this was Rocky Road or Jeep’s precision quality control issue but it was back to the dermal tool to carve out the whole so it could slide over into the channel.
Shown below finished an in place

Step 4: Assembling the rack

Once I knew the rails fit I really wanted to roughly assemble the rack onto the rails on the ground as opposed to fighting with it on top of the car. I got it put together with all bolts left loose.
Step 5: Waterproofing

Step 6: Putting it on the car!
Once up in place I tightened everything down and viola!

Now I just have to paint the shiny parts black, clean off the remaining tape in the channels, and figure out how to install my off road lights. I don’t like the bar Rocky Road for lights uses because it won’t accommodate four 8” lights.

Hopefully this will help some folks looking at this set up. It is definitely very sturdy and I think it gives the KK a more rugged look.

Oh and then later I went to the zoo and saw this sweet Sloth Bear!

Post subject: Re: Rocky Road Safari Roof Rack install write up
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:13 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Nice write up! I'd love to have a rack like that, but I also love my Sky Slider and want to be able to use that. :juggle:

Also that sloth bear is pretty awesome. Never heard of them before. Wikipedia time :BANANA:

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:18 am 
LOST Newbie

cgass wrote:
Also that sloth bear is pretty awesome. Never heard of them before. Wikipedia time :BANANA:

Yeah apparently they are used in India as dancing bears. They looked like a long haired black bear but had 8" sloth-like claws!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

Great pictures!

I've been eyeing up the same two racks. Is there any type of lip around the front/back edges? The lack of kind of worries me for coolers & what not.

Also good to know about RL jerking you around, I won't be buying one of those ...

Also, is it just the pic or is this mount not centered on the plate?
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:03 am 
LOST Junkie

RRO and there crappy design :(

ill stick with my thules on this one and add my roof basket with lamps to that for sure

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:04 am 
LOST Newbie

musclezmarinara wrote:
RRO and there crappy design :(

ill stick with my thules on this one and add my roof basket with lamps to that for sure

To each there own. I've had the rack installed for about a month and have been very happy with how solid it is.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:15 am 
LOST Member

I do like the look of the whole rack setup, and especially like the spare tire mount setup already there. I just keep hearing and seeing fitment issues like that and it gives me pause.

if you wouldn't mind could you take some more details shots of the mounting points post-installation?

Thanks!

• OME 790/948/90009/N32
  • Western Suburbanite 7'4" plow
  • DetoursUSA Backbone
  • HF 12k# winch
[SIZE="1"]WTB: project liberty near N.NJ. stick shift, 4x4, working motor optional, CHEAP[/SIZE]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I ran across a problem that someone else had with a RRO rack. Not to say that you'll have the same problem but it's worth bringing to your attention. Here's the link where I found the post
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=49406
And here's the post I think you should be aware of

I ended up buying the RRO Adventure rack in 2010, now I wish i hadn't. What do others think who bought this rack.

Here is why I wish I went another way. This rack is defiantly for novices. The rack installed easy enough however I guess I didn't do something right because I now have water flowing in my roof. I took off the driver side roof rail and the roof is cracked. It seems that the RRO is pulling the roof apart. I took it to a body man and he says the factory bolts aren't proper for this heavy of a rack. so now the roof needs to be welded, the bots are going to be changed and they are going to make a bracket to support the rack. The second issue I have it the RRO rack is rusting which is getting in my paint.

I'm sure more experienced people wouldn't off had the issues I did with this rack, I just want to warn the novices that it isn't as easy as it looks.

:2cents:

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ted15 wrote:
I ran across a problem that someone else had with a RRO rack. Not to say that you'll have the same problem but it's worth bringing to your attention. Here's the link where I found the post
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=49406
And here's the post I think you should be aware of

I ended up buying the RRO Adventure rack in 2010, now I wish i hadn't. What do others think who bought this rack.

Here is why I wish I went another way. This rack is defiantly for novices. The rack installed easy enough however I guess I didn't do something right because I now have water flowing in my roof. I took off the driver side roof rail and the roof is cracked. It seems that the RRO is pulling the roof apart. I took it to a body man and he says the factory bolts aren't proper for this heavy of a rack. so now the roof needs to be welded, the bots are going to be changed and they are going to make a bracket to support the rack. The second issue I have it the RRO rack is rusting which is getting in my paint.

I'm sure more experienced people wouldn't off had the issues I did with this rack, I just want to warn the novices that it isn't as easy as it looks.

:2cents:

Thanks, by the way I'm originally from Akron as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:44 am 
LOST Member

Looks great! Can't wait to get mine, should be in the next few weeks. Hopefully the install problems don't transfer over to me, but we'll see.

Quick question and idea though: has anyone thought about Line-X-ing their roof racks/cargo baskets? I have had 0 experience doing anything like that and was curious what anyone has to say about the idea.

Never Stop Exploring

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

As an update the rack has held up well with no issues or signs of wear.

I haven't yet installed my lights or spare Tire holder as I am waiting to move out of the DC area and a few months and won't have to worry as much about the added height causing parking lot nightmares at that time.

Getting a quick detach for even my 3' Firestik was the best investment I could have made when it comes to that as well!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

Is it still holding up????

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

Digitydan wrote:
Is it still holding up????

For the most part yes, one spot the paint bubbled and I have some surface rust which I'll sand down and repaint once this mini Ice Age ends.

Tire hasn't come off either so that's good!