It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rear Rattle - Not Suspension!
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:40 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi All-
New to the forum! I got my 2008 KK Sport about a year ago. She's been great to me (mostly stock), but just developed an annoying "paint can" rattle coming from the rear-driver's side when going over small bumps and rough roads. Figured it was a normal rattle coming from loose bolts somewhere in the suspension or a blown sway bar link. Took it to my buddy's to put it up on the lift and ended up tracing the rattle to a black boxed enclosure in the far rear corner of the undercarriage - not the suspension at all! The box rattles when I tap on it, so I'm assuming it's a loose bolt or metal taping away in there. We were short on time and the box/case has two lines (fuel?) coming out of it, so I was hesitant to pull it apart before knowing what it is. Can anyone fill me in on what this is? I've searched for an undercarriage diagram, but can't seem to find one. Can anyone have this issue?

Thanks all!
IJP

Post subject: Re: Rear Rattle - Not Suspension!
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:52 am 
LOST Addict

sounds like the evap canister for the fuel system. $75 part and 15 minutes of your time.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:56 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks Dirty-
Easy fix? Will I have to bleed the fuel lines or anything?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:41 am 
LOST Addict

REMOVAL

The EVAP canister (1) is located under the vehicle behind the plastic splash shield (4) used for the left/rear tire. The ESIM switch (2) is attached to the EVAP canister.

1. Raise and support vehicle.
2. Clean dirt or debris from canister vacuum lines.
3. Disconnect electrical connector (3) at ESIM switch (2).
4. Disconnect rubber hose (6) from ESIM switch (2).
5. Disconnect quick-connect fitting (5) at EVAP canister.
6. Remove nut/bolt (1) at front of canister mounting bracket (2).
7. To remove canister, pull straight forward until pins (1) have cleared bracket (2).

INSTALLATION

1. Position canister locating pins (1) into bracket (2).
2. Install nut/bolt (1) at front of canister mounting bracket (2).
3. Clean dirt or debris from canister vacuum lines.
4. Connect electrical connector (3) to ESIM switch (2).
5. Connect rubber hose (6) to ESIM switch (2).
6. Connect quick-connect fitting (5) to EVAP canister.
7. Lower vehicle.

Post subject: Rear Rattle - Not Suspension!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

My 2008 is doing the same thing but I found it to be the metal guards behind the rear routers vibrating. I looked and checked the brake system first because when I apply the brakes it goes away.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:26 pm 
LOST Addict

Nighttracker wrote:
My 2008 is doing the same thing but I found it to be the metal guards behind the rear routers vibrating. I looked and checked the brake system first because when I apply the brakes it goes away.

Hi Nighttracker, mine sounds like it is doing the same thing. I don't notice the rattle if the brakes are applied when I'm going over bumps, just when I coast over them. Can you explain in a bit more detail how you fixed it? Thanks!

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

:dead: Bringing this thread back to life! I'm interested in this topic ever since the other day. I also heard the strange noise in the rear when coasting over bumps. Although it only did it for a couple seconds and it was at 4:00am on the way in the gate at work and too early to really remember what I heard.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:26 am 
LOST Addict

My mechanic couldn't locate the issue for months! It wouldn't rattle on his test drives, and he couldn't find anything wrong with the suspension or brakes. I thought I must be nuts-- maybe a Jeepochondriac. :jester: Then, the last time I had it in the shop, my mechanic heard the noise on a test drive. After some further detective work, he found that there was some sort of anti-rattle clip on one of the rear brakes that was actually missing. It had rattled like that ever since I was rear ended last year, and the body shop replaced the rear axle. I guess they forgot to reinstall the clip! Replacing it fixed the issue.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:50 am 
LOST Newbie

Was it like a metal on metal sound like rotor type sound? Or like a spray paint can type rattle?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:08 am 
LOST Addict

It was a metal on metal type of sound, and it rattled/clattered? when coasting over rough road. It was deeper than a spray paint can sound, but not a clunking sound. And the frustrating thing was it wouldn't happen when I took it to the shop to diagnose it. For a while I thought it might be a bad bushing on my sway bar, then I thought maybe an exhaust hanger was broken and my exhaust pipe was rattling around, or maybe there was a loose heat shield. But it turned out to be this clip on the rear driver's side brake. I never saw the clip, though, so I can't describe what it looks like.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:46 am 
LOST Newbie

lfhoward wrote:
It was a metal on metal type of sound, and it rattled/clattered? when coasting over rough road. It was deeper than a spray paint can sound, but not a clunking sound. And the frustrating thing was it wouldn't happen when I took it to the shop to diagnose it. For a while I thought it might be a bad bushing on my sway bar, then I thought maybe an exhaust hanger was broken and my exhaust pipe was rattling around, or maybe there was a loose heat shield. But it turned out to be this clip on the rear driver's side brake. I never saw the clip, though, so I can't describe what it looks like.

That's what I heard too. It was after a pot hole at about 10mph making a turn, heard it for 5 seconds this was two weeks ago and never heard it again.

Isn't that the way it always happens? When the mechanic is trying to recreate the noise it makes a liar out of you? Ha!

This part was called an "anti-rattle clip"? Just wanting to make a mental note for whenever I have her in the shop to ask about where they are on the brakes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:33 pm 
LOST Addict

Not sure what it's called - I guess that's my own summary of what it is for. The word, "clip" was definitely in there, but I don't know what exactly my mechanic called this thing. I'll check my invoice tonight to see if there was a part number or description.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

lfhoward wrote:
Not sure what it's called - I guess that's my own summary of what it is for. The word, "clip" was definitely in there, but I don't know what exactly my mechanic called this thing. I'll check my invoice tonight to see if there was a part number or description.

That'll be cool! Always good to go to the dealer armed with knowledge!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:08 pm 
LOST Addict

lostboy wrote:
lfhoward wrote:

That'll be cool! Always good to go to the dealer armed with knowledge!

It really is called a rear anti rattle clip, and it is on the rear brakes. The part number on my invoice was 83504A, and it cost $23.94. This is coming from a good independent shop, not a dealer, and I don't know where they sourced the part (so no idea what company makes it - Napa maybe?). A quick :google: seems to point to it being something in a brake caliper hardware repair kit, but no direct hits on Google.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

Good info lfh! Thanks! :mrgreen: