It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Should I put a bunch of money into upgrading my 2011 Liberty KK or buy an older wrangler?
Upgrade 2011 Jeep Liberty KK 83%  83%  [ 19 ]
Buy an Older Jeep Wrangler and then upgrade 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 23
 Post subject: Where should I spend my money upgrading?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:54 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I really want to upgrade my 2011 Liberty KK (Already own) but I am also thinking of purchasing an older Jeep Wrangler and then upgrade that but I only have enough money for one or the other so I have made a poll so if you could do it that would be great.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I plan on using either one in the snow a lot and as trails go nothing super super crazy but maybe.

P.S. Im keeping my KK either way
:juggle: :juggle: :juggle: :juggle: :juggle: :juggle: :juggle: :juggle: :juggle: :juggle: :juggle: :juggle: :juggle: :juggle:

Thanks,

JeepMonkey :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:36 am 
LOST Newbie

You won't hear this from many people but:

We are going to enter an economic depression sooner than later. So if I were in your position, I'd save up at least 90 days worth of bills funds, purchase at least 90 days worth of long-term storage food, an AR15 carbine with 1000rds and quality peripherals, and the rest of my money would go toward gardening tools and seeds, hand tools, good boots and backpacks and perhaps a good bicycle. Gasoline might get prohibitively expensive or unavailable all together.

Remember those great depression stories your parents/grandparents told you? By all measures this will be worse. Take heed, or squander money on hobbies and luxuries and entertainment. It matters not to me.

Be safe

Post subject: Re: Where should I spend my money upgrading?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:41 am 
LOST Newbie

Smetna wrote:

We are going to enter an economic depression sooner than later. So if I were in your position, I'd save up at least 90 days worth of bills funds, purchase at least 90 days worth of long-term storage food, an AR15 carbine with 1000rds and quality peripherals, and the rest of my money would go toward gardening tools and seeds, hand tools, good boots and backpacks and perhaps a good bicycle. Gasoline might get prohibitively expensive or unavailable all together.

Remember those great depression stories your parents/grandparents told you? By all measures this will be worse. Take heed, or squander money on hobbies and luxuries and entertainment. It matters not to me.

Be safe

Ooooookkkkkk.... Really?!?

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.” – George Orwell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:55 am 
LOST Addict

Hi JeepMonkey, I think the answer to your original question depends on what you want to use it for. If you envision doing some hard core wheeling, you may not want to subject your daily driver to that. But if you want a capable and good looking KK that can get you out into the wilderness for primitive camping as easily as to the office, then modding the KK would be the way to go. Personally, that's what I'd do (and am doing... slowly!). Cheers, --LFH

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:50 pm 
LOST Member

Hey JeepMonkey,

Like lfhoward said, it depends on what you want to do really. If you're not looking to do crazy trails, I would stick with just modding the KK. It is a good vehicle for going camping and getting to more remote places than a crv or other "cute" utes would take you.

Another thing to think of would be what kind of trails you will encounter.....where I live even the easier trails have a lot of tree's and branches that will scratch the heck out of your paint.
If you live in a similar environment and that sort of thing bugs you, you might want to get a ride specifically for the trails (older wrangler).

If you are planning of doing some hardcore trails then for sure get an older wrangler as there are more mods available out there for them.

For me the scratches don't bother me so I have decided to stick with modding my KK.

Tires : LT 245/75/R16 Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac's
Speakers: Alpine SC600's component front, Coax rear

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Smetna wrote:

Be safe

You left out the zombie apocalypse :-)r

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:16 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Smetna wrote:

Be safe

The reason you wont hear people say what you said is because its crazy dumb, and I agree with Mike08Liberty, that you forgot the zombie apocalypse :mrgreen: :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:37 am 
LOST Addict

Mike08Liberty wrote:
Smetna wrote:

Be safe

You left out the zombie apocalypse :-)r

x2

But Smetna, idk if you were serious or not, but that gave me a good chuckle.

Oh and I would say, it all depends on what you want to do. If you want a capable dd, mod the KK. If you want to go hardcore offroad and don't want to damage/worry about the KK then look into getting an older Wrangler.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks everyone so far for responding and voting on the poll, I greatly appreciate most of your guys' replies :-)r cant wait to hear more of your thoughts.

Thanks,

JeepMonkey :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:41 pm 
LOST Addict

No problem. If it helps you aren't the only 1 in that predicament. I don't want to have to worry about the KK (body or mechanical wise) so I'm saving and looking for a full size Bronco. Nothing special about them, but I want a v8 and I always liked them lol.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:03 pm 
LOST Member

Wranglers are awesome but everyone has one and they have modified it. Not many can say that about a KK. I say go SFA and dont look back LOL.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:40 am 
LOST Newbie

I was not joking. We are about to enter an economic crap storm within a couple years at most. Now is not the time to blow thousands of dollars on our toys. Well, at least not until after the necessities are accounted for.

We are Men, not children. So our families health, well-being, and safety are OUR responsibility. Toys need to take a back seat. Only after we make a plan to survive severe job loss, crime waves, and disruption of utilities and fuel should we think about toys.

Ridicule me all you want. The OP asked for opinions on how he should spend his money and I gave him mine. I chimed in because I care about my fellow jeepers. I've been called far worse than stupid or crazy by other lemmings before. Doesn't bother me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:00 am 
LOST Addict

Smetna wrote:
The OP asked for opinions on how he should spend his money and I gave him mine.

You missed the "upgrading his Jeep" part.

Just saying...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:38 pm 
LOST Junkie

I'm doing both for now I'm slowly upgrading my KK and plan on taking it down some rough trails, but when I finally graduate and have my career, with more money, I'm either going to turn my KK into a semi hardcore krawler or by an old wrangler or cherokee and just beat it to pieces. I'm still debating. I love my KK but I believe all jeeps should be abused offroad at least slightly. I'm leaning towards using my KK to tow the other vehicle to extreme locations. Either way, in the mean time all my spare money goes towards the KK.
I am,however, a bit paranoid and am smart enough to not blow all my money, I have a fairly large savings account, and have contingency plans for such a disaster be it economical or the upcoming zombie apocalypse.

BTW Marlon, how do you like your JCR rocksliders? I just ordered a set of them. I too have a renegade. What color did you paint them to match your grey fenders? I got hammered metallic black. But haven't painted them yet.

Texans, come join us at Lone Star LOST!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/253493118163702?ref=bookmark&_rdr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:00 am 
LOST Addict

JeepNCrowd wrote:
BTW Marlon, how do you like your JCR rocksliders? I just ordered a set of them. I too have a renegade. What color did you paint them to match your grey fenders? I got hammered metallic black. But haven't painted them yet.

I love them. They work. ;)

They painted them black, I had the first set. That paint has uh, since gone down the road somewhere. So right now, they are rust brown.

I'm gonna have them bedlined, hopefully silver, if possible, to match my sister's '05 Renegade.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:39 pm 
LOST Junkie

I had considered bed lining, but all my research advised against it. Apparently it looks good on display, but doesn't last long on functional sliders. Im just trying to find a paint that matches. I noticed that my rocker panels are a slightly darker gray or black than my grey fenders.
Srry for highjacking this thread.

Texans, come join us at Lone Star LOST!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/253493118163702?ref=bookmark&_rdr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:13 pm 
LOST Member

Yea prolly best to stick with a spray can rustoleum that can be easily reapplied after offroad trips if they are going to be functional

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:35 am 
LOST Addict

I'll just bedline the "appearance" sides, the bottom, "functional" side can stay painted.

I don't wheel THAT hard, I just like to play around and run the trails. :)