It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Throttle body cleaning for the KK?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KK4x4 wrote:
If its a drive by wire and the battery is disconnected, shouldn't the throttle not even open period? I'm probably wrong but just a thought.

You can force it but can mess it up.

Do what you want,you may not run into any issues but many have,about a $200 mistake.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:11 pm 
LOST Addict

Hi tjkj2002, I'm not all that keen to make a $200 mistake, but I do a lot of city driving at low RPMs, which can tend to create a lot of carbon buildup (at least that's my understanding of what happens). In your opinion, what is the best way to go about cleaning this gunk out when you have a drive by wire engine? If there is a better way to clean the throttle body I'd like to learn it. Or if this is not much of an issue in modern engines, then maybe I can ignore it. I'm coming from an XJ before the KK, and most everything on that rig was mechanical. Thanks, --LFH

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

lfhoward wrote:
Hi tjkj2002, I'm not all that keen to make a $200 mistake, but I do a lot of city driving at low RPMs, which can tend to create a lot of carbon buildup (at least that's my understanding of what happens). In your opinion, what is the best way to go about cleaning this gunk out when you have a drive by wire engine? If there is a better way to clean the throttle body I'd like to learn it. Or if this is not much of an issue in modern engines, then maybe I can ignore it. I'm coming from an XJ before the KK, and most everything on that rig was mechanical. Thanks, --LFH

The best way is to go and buy a TB gasket,a few bucks at any auto parts store.Then remove the TB from the intake itself,cold engine,but do not unplug any wiring(take off any vacuum hose if there on the TB).Using a warm water with some dawn dishsoap(not alot of soap needed),gently scrub both sides of the TB with a soft bristle tooth brush.Dry with a lint free cloth and re-install.

By not disconnecting the wires(or the battery) no relearn will be needed,just be careful on how you handle the TB.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

KK4x4 wrote:
If its a drive by wire and the battery is disconnected, shouldn't the throttle not even open period? I'm probably wrong but just a thought.

What he said...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:47 am 
LOST Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
The best way is to go and buy a TB gasket,a few bucks at any auto parts store.Then remove the TB from the intake itself,cold engine,but do not unplug any wiring(take off any vacuum hose if there on the TB).Using a warm water with some dawn dishsoap(not alot of soap needed),gently scrub both sides of the TB with a soft bristle tooth brush.Dry with a lint free cloth and re-install.

By not disconnecting the wires(or the battery) no relearn will be needed,just be careful on how you handle the TB.

IMO, that would be the best/safest way to do it.

KK4x4 wrote:

Lol, you are correct. On a drive by wire TB, you can key the car ON, and push the gas pedal all the way down and it will actuate the TB plate. Hook a scan guage up and you can verify that by reading the TPS sensor. It still works with the car off. Lol, now take away its power and none of that works.