It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rocky Road Outfitters Budget 2.5/3 inch lift Good, Bad o
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

OG_Toucan wrote:
If you are under the assumption that you can do this lift with basic hand tools please evaluate your definition of basic hand tools. Basically what I am saying is if you carry every tool you own in a bag or they only fill up one shelf in your kitchen cabinet. Don't try this. I have a roll around tool box with a GOOD assortment of tools and I don't have all of the tools necessary.

Besides maybe one other here on this forum(Tom) I can most likley say I've installed probally the most lifts on Liberty's and can tell you it does not involve many tools at all.The most specialized tool would be a 35mm socket and besides the jack and jack stands I can fit all the required tools in a small toolbag.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:52 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
OG_Toucan wrote:
If you are under the assumption that you can do this lift with basic hand tools please evaluate your definition of basic hand tools. Basically what I am saying is if you carry every tool you own in a bag or they only fill up one shelf in your kitchen cabinet. Don't try this. I have a roll around tool box with a GOOD assortment of tools and I don't have all of the tools necessary.

Besides maybe one other here on this forum(Tom) I can most likley say I've installed probally the most lifts on Liberty's and can tell you it does not involve many tools at all.The most specialized tool would be a 35mm socket and besides the jack and jack stands I can fit all the required tools in a small toolbag.

But most think it takes a lot when in fact its one of the easiest lifts there is to install :wink:

Post subject: Rocky Road Outfitters Budget 2.5/3 inch lift Good, Bad or Ug
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:28 am 
LOST Member

Sorry for slamming Tom. I am of the opinion that if you point out a problem present a solution at the same time. I do apologize Tom for calling you out. I am just really tired of hearing guys on this forum try different things then get killed by other members because they don't have a JBA lift. Partially why I went this route. I wanted to document IF there are other options. If JBA is the only way to go I will admit it. If this lift works out then great, here is a new alternative for weekend warriors that doesn't mean mortgaging out your house to get. I feel forums are a place to gain knowledge and share experiences. All to often however they get corrupted with garbage in garbage out that everyone buys into just because someone on the forum said so. Like I said. If this lift sucks I will admit it. The install was no where near as easy as advertised. So for those looking at this kit. Take a moment of pause and think about the tools at your disposal. As Tom suggested read about other similar lifts in this forum (obviously more than I did) then make your choice. I'm just here to share my experiences. No more no less. I will report back with my experience about this lift as the mileage progresses. Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Post subject: Rocky Road Outfitters Budget 2.5/3 inch lift Good, Bad or Ug
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:47 am 
LOST Member

Everyone's experiences are different and everyone has different levels of experience. In our case this lift took some time and was more difficult than advertised. Perhaps if you have lifted a dozen or so liberty's you would have a few tricks of the trade and could do it in the advertised time. I have never lifted a Liberty. I have no carnal knowledge of the Liberty suspension. I think, i am like most on here, good knowledge of tools and mechanics but not a go at it fabricate your own bumper from scratch mechanic. Sure the tools required would all fit in a bag. But you would have an odd ball bag of tools if the tools required where your only tools. I guess what I should have said is if your idea of the advertised "can be done with basic hand tools" is a socket set, vice grips and a claw hammer then you need to re-evaluate your position. As I keep saying my point of this thread is to detail my experience with this lift. Good, bad or ugly. Your experience may not be this way. Who knows, maybe this lift can be done with just a claw hammer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:17 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I could've saved you some time and money, in fact, I think I may've said that I had this exact lift on my KK. It's already been tried and proven to be a bad idea. I now run an OME lift which if I'd known about this forum before I listened to the people at RRO, I never would've bought it. It was because of someone there telling me not to listen to the people on the forums, that they don't know what they're talking about and that Al Handy stole the upper control arm design from RRO that I even found this forum. That was what inspired me to look. By the way, their OTT spacer lift is ripped off from teraflex, JBA sells it also and I'd be willing to bet the directions are better. The problem with using a spacer lift on a KK isn't the lift, it's the crap springs that came with it. They start to sag prematurly and aren't strong enough to keep the control arms off of the bumpstops. The noise that is made when going fast over dips in the road is the sound of the front shocks bottoming out because of the change in their location. 2" of up travel has been removed by the 2" spacer over the spring. Now the rear rode like a board. The RRO shocks totally sucked, they're also in my basement next to the spacers. I just can't bring myself to post it for sale because of my experience with it. I removed it before there was any visible damage to the shocks but I was very careful when I realized what was happening. That was my experience, I hope yours is better. There isn't much aftermarket support for KK's, JBA, Detoures and Rocklizard are just about it.

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:19 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Too bad I am late to this thread.

I under stand why you chose to go the route you did, and I am not going to slam you for your choice.
Having an honest, well documented experience with this lift in one place will help another Jeep owner down the road.

I have a JBA 2.5" lift, and was the KA prototype for it. Which really does not matter in this situation.
My point of mentioning being the prototype for the JBA 2.5" lift is it revealed several flaws in the initial design. It took several tries to get things worked out. No lift is perfect from the get go, but Marlin kept working with me to make it right. In the end it is a very nice lift. Not many places will do that for you.
The other reason I mentioned my being the prototype is I did a complete install write up, with detailed Pics, torque Specs, and tools used, which is posted here for anyone to down-load and print out. The instructions are not perfect by any means, and I have noted things I would have done different, but over all I believe they are very detailed.
Anyway, for those out there, even if you are not going with a JBA lift, many of the instructions are similar and will assist you in doing your install.
They can be found here. HOW TO: 2.5 Inch JBA Lift

Looking forward to your further honest updates on this lift as time goes by.

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

Interested in an update - 3 years later.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

Bump for an update. Anyone else using this lift?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:48 pm 

s2themach wrote:
Bump for an update. Anyone else using this lift?

After reading everything above you're still asking?
Please read everything you can , RRO=junk period

Go OME springs and shocks or could use Bilstein shocks
1000s of KJ/KK owners have went OME and no regrets
well millions of 4x4 owners can attest to the same

RRO same as Skyjacker, Rustys etc