It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fuel Tank burp issue SOLVED!!!!!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

So I have a (bought used) 2010 Liberty with roughly 50k ish miles on it... would it be a hassle for me to get this fixed? I constantly have the gas issue and my local dealer said there was nothing wrong last time I went up there, but then again the dealership over here is a complete joke and probably better run by monkeys or by trees for that matter...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:50 pm 
LOST Addict

snwbdr09173 wrote:
So I have a (bought used) 2010 Liberty with roughly 50k ish miles on it... would it be a hassle for me to get this fixed? I constantly have the gas issue and my local dealer said there was nothing wrong last time I went up there, but then again the dealership over here is a complete joke and probably better run by monkeys or by trees for that matter...

Monkeys have more brains than some dealers :banghead:

While your 2010 isn't cover by the X46 yet, I would start by printing the PDF I posted and take it to them.

If they still don't want to play, call 1 800 992 1997. That is the number for Chrysler Customer Care.

If you push hard enough, they should cave in.

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:31 pm 
LOST Member

Digger, you're da Frog! 8)

I took my 08 in to see about the fuel splash back issue. My service manager looked up the bulletin and my Jeep's info and said, "Yep, you're covered." I had your letter with me but it wasn't really needed. The new parts are ordered and will be in Weds. I was told they have done this fix for some wranglers and durangos, but that I'm the first Liberty. I can't get the vehicle in until Monday but at least that will give me a chance to run the fuel down.

Thanks again for being a dedicated advocate for the rest of us.

Happy :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks to this and OP I had mine done today-filled it up after and no issues :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:53 pm 
LOST Member

The KK went in today to have the fuel splash back issue resolved. Filled the tank tonight with zero problems. Woo Hoo!

Happy :JEEPIN: everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:05 am 
LOST Addict

Nice! 8)

My usual dealer made me mad last week Image

So I'm scheduled to go in Thursday. While I know it's not the poor services guys fault, I'm half tempted to go in with a full tank due to how the service writer has treated me ImageImage

(* I have a short fuse with service writers just because they treat every one like idiots that have no clue as to what they are talking about. Now I know they deal with a lot of people like that, but when some one who is probably more qualified then their tech tells the service writer what is wrong and how they diagnosed it only to have then service writer tell then that they don't what they are talking about... I blow up Image)

End of rant :goink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well, I carried mine in for the replacement this morning. Have not heard from them so I'll call in the morning and see what the problem is... maybe they had to order parts??

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:32 pm 
LOST Member

They had to order the parts for mine. Took like a day and half for them to come in. By the time I could get the jeep in, the parts were waiting for me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:58 pm 
LOST Member

Mine is at the stealership now being fixed! Hopefully! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

They finally called today... not fixed. Had to order parts and said I'd need to bring it back Monday for the repair.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:44 pm 
LOST Member

So, does this actually involve replacing the entire tank?

I scheduled this with my local dealership for next weekend (30th).

While I was there he printed out the service bulletin, same one attached to the first post. He was confused though because although the service bulletin calls for a replacement tank and everything in it, the kit that the SB has them order is JUST a new set of seals.

I fail to see how a new set of seals will prevent a problem that is related to the tank air pressure check valve and stem, and why, if the SB calls for an entirely new tank that the kit wouldn't have the tank as part of it.

:?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yes it is replacing the fuel tank and a seal kit.
"This bulletin involves replacing the fuel tank with a revised part."
If they are confused they need to call Chrysler.

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:34 pm 
LOST Member

Scar0 wrote:
Yes it is replacing the fuel tank and a seal kit.
"This bulletin involves replacing the fuel tank with a revised part."
If they are confused they need to call Chrysler.

Fair enough. I'm sure they will. I do wonder though why the kit the bulletin says to order doesn't include the tank? It's not like dealers have tons of spare tanks laying around. Even if they did they would be the old style ones that burp, right? Very odd.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:50 pm 
LOST Member

Woo hoo!! It worked! Filled it up to full and no old faithful! :-)r

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:13 pm 
LOST Addict

Why the part is titled like that, I don't know but there isn't a seal made on a KK that runs $109...

Got mine done on Thursday. While I didn't strange the service writer, I can very close to it :5SHOTS:

After 2 fills ups since then, No burp :BANANA: :pepper: :BANANA: :pepper: :BANANA: :pepper:

Post subject: Fuel Tank burp issue SOLVED!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just got this notice in the mail. Sorry poor pic.Image
The top part is the second page that you fill out for reimbursement if you've already paid for repairs.
Hope everyone gets one that paid for the fix.
Oh it's only for 07-08 Dodge Nitro/KK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:40 pm 
LOST Member

Got the same forms in the mail this week. Unfortunately I've been waiting for my $tealership to get the part in to do the gas tank swap now for 4 weeks. Spoke to them yesterday and expressed my concern about wearing gas on my clothes every time I fuel up, and they relayed that the part still hasn't shipped, so not likely it's going to get here any time soon. Kinda jealous of the folks who've been able to get their vehicles fixed in a matter of days. :|

Post subject: Fuel Tank burp issue SOLVED!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I guess I have good luck for once, mine has not had this issue.(yet).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

Got my tank fixed yesterday (got the letter today.) The work order says they removed the tank, changed the check valve, and replaced the tank.

After I picked it up from the dealer, I headed to the gas station to fill it up... what a pain. To start I could piss more that the gas the Liberty was taking. Finally pulled the nozzle out some and it was taking gas faster, but not fast enough to lock the nozzle handle with the little spring thingy.

Plan to give it another fillup and talk with the service department if things don't go better.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:12 pm 
LOST Member

Just got mine done today. They did indeed get a complete new gas tank. The service guy actually called back to the tech and checked, and the tech was like; "Yeah, this box is HUGE!" :ROTFL: It took from 9AM to 3PM (6 hours) to do the work.

Unfortunately, when I picked it up, as I started the engine it was running REALLY rough! I figured maybe there was some air in the line so I revved it and I could smell unburnt gasoline! So I went back in, told the service guy and he sent the tech out. The tech took one look at my engine shaking back and forth under the hood and he agreed something was very wrong. He limped it back into the bay and after about 15 minutes checking, they called me out:

Apparently when they refilled my tank from the "Gas Jenny" with the fuel they had pumped out of it, they didn't realize there had been some old some fuel leftover in the Jenny from a previous use, and it was fouled! Of course, this fouled the fuel they pumped out of my jeep, so I ended up with half a tank of bad, fouled gasoline in my nice shiny new gastank! :banghead:

They made it right though. They gave me a free loaner so I could go home, and then spent the next two hours draining the tank, flushing and pumping drygas through all the fuel lines and the engine, filling it with 5 gallons of fresh gas and then driving it down the the gas station and gassing me up to full (I had started with a 1/2 tank) just as an apology for me having to go through the trouble. So yeah, they made a mistake, but no damage done, and they did exactly the right thing in making it right.

As for myself, I took "Libby" out to the car wash and got her all cleaned up and polished nice and shiny to go with her new gastank, then took her out on a rarely patrolled section of local highway and "stretched her legs" to make sure she was running good. She was! (Zoom!)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next