It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CustomJeepKK.com
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Created really neat website with a collection of images of modified KKs with links to the write-ups on how to do a few items. It is still a new site but has a lot of potential. Figured it was easier to see different setups then crawl the forum.

Check it out: http://www.customjeepkk.com

2011 Jeep Liberty Sport ~ Tow Hooks ~ Skid Plates ~ Hitch ~ Side Steps ~ Built In Air Compressor ~ Plastidip Matte Black Rims ~ Custom DIY Roof Rails ~ Curt Safari Rack ~ JK Front Mounted Lightbar ~ Hella 500s w/ Zombie Switch and 100w Upgrade ~ Front and Rear Window Tint ~ Side Marker Tint ~ EMT Emergency Green Whelen Dash and Grill Lights

Post subject: Re: CustomJeepKK.com
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:55 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Interesting, take images/information from everywhere else and use them as your own

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:56 pm 
LOST Member

Not bad. I saw where he says they are pics from other websites

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:04 pm 

Yes have seen it tried before
If you want a website then start one and see if anyone uses it
not take from others to make yours look good

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:53 pm 
LOST Member

tommudd wrote:
Interesting, take images/information from everywhere else and use them as your own

Yep. And then take people's how to guides and put them on your website without sourcing them..

Never Stop Exploring

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:08 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

I can't speak for everyone but it really doesn't bother me.
One of those write ups was written by me and it is credited.
It looks like a site just for reference and not selling anything, the same things can be seen on google images..

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:33 pm 
LOST Addict

Not everything is credited. For example, the author of the JK Lightbar Install is not listed. The photo of my Jeep is uncredited. The problem here is taking something that isn't yours and using it without permission. I think the authors, dates, and links to the original threads of these writeups and photos needs to be given at the top, at a bare minimum. Although the layout of the site is nice, and the how-to parts of the threads are distilled out to make the information easy to access, it seems as if this information was copied rather than linked. The problem with this site model is that copies don't evolve. For example, if I made a how-to writeup, but later discovered a problem, I could go back to LOST and edit my post to fix it. Or someone else could discover a problem with my writeup and post that, and we could have a conversation to fix it, and improve upon it. This would not be possible if my first post was copied and the out of date version lived on another site that I could not edit. Although LOST and JeepForum aren't as visually appealing, their content is alive because the authors can create and edit it themselves. One other thought: there are Google ads on the site, so while the site isn't selling anything per se, the person who owns it gets income when people click on those adds. My :2cents:

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

Last edited by lfhoward on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:01 pm 

^^^^^^^^
agree completely
plus the OP is on every site now "advertising " his site
and yes he will be making money on it from what other have done

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:32 pm 

lfhoward wrote:
Not everything is credited. For example, the author of the JK Lightbar Install is not listed. The photo of my Jeep is uncredited. The problem here is taking something that isn't yours and using it without permission. I think the authors, dates, and links to the original threads of these writeups and photos needs to be given at the top, at a bare minimum. Although the layout of the site is nice, and the how-to parts of the threads are distilled out to make the information easy to access, it seems as if this information was copied rather than linked. The problem with this site model is that copies don't evolve. For example, if I made a how-to writeup, but later discovered a problem, I could go back to LOST and edit my post to fix it. Or someone else could discover a problem with my writeup and post that, and we could have a conversation to fix it, and improve upon it. This would not be possible if my first post was copied and the out of date version lived on another site that I could not edit. Although LOST and JeepForum aren't as visually appealing, their content is alive because the authors can create and edit it themselves. One other thought: there are Google ads on the site, so while the site isn't selling anything per se, the person who owns it gets income when people click on those adds. My :2cents:

Good points I didn't think about. If he is making money from those ads then I changed my mind. Yes I do have a problem with that.

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:50 am 
LOST Member

I'm actually a little bummed out... I didn't see one single pic of my Jeep :cry: darn

'08, OME HD/MD coils, Ironman shocks, Al's A-arms, Top plates, ATH front recovery, V-Tec Offroad wheels 17x8.5, Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac's 265/65R17, Jasper Offroad 12" Dual LED lightbar, Mopar hitch and harness, RRO roof rails and cross bars, Viper throttle body, K&N FIPK, Hypertech Max Energy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:04 am 
LOST Newbie

Thank you for all the input. This was mainly for myself personally as I would always remember seeing a walk through or write-up on here or jeepforum on how to do something, or see a picture of a jeep I would like and would never be able to find it. I gave credit to every single walk through I pulled but I will make it easier to identify. The ads are not there by choice. I am using a free version of a template and ads are included. I am working on removing them. Again it was mainly for personal use that I thought would be nice to open it up to everyone else. If it seems to be invaluable to all, it can be taken down.

2011 Jeep Liberty Sport ~ Tow Hooks ~ Skid Plates ~ Hitch ~ Side Steps ~ Built In Air Compressor ~ Plastidip Matte Black Rims ~ Custom DIY Roof Rails ~ Curt Safari Rack ~ JK Front Mounted Lightbar ~ Hella 500s w/ Zombie Switch and 100w Upgrade ~ Front and Rear Window Tint ~ Side Marker Tint ~ EMT Emergency Green Whelen Dash and Grill Lights

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:01 am 
LOST Newbie

huntb wrote:
I'm actually a little bummed out... I didn't see one single pic of my Jeep :cry: darn

Send me one and I will put it up!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:25 am 
LOST Member

does not bother me

have a lot of my pics and eve my write up on the jk light bar install ( where he say thank you to CARLOSBURITICA for posting in lost jeeps)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:50 pm 
LOST Member

Just cite things properly, including pictures. Just a link of a "---Name---'s photo" or whatever. I get ticked off because, a year or two ago, I had people stealing my photography images off my website and managing to remove my tag in the corner.

Sorry for overreacting, just cite cite cite so people like me don't get pissed.

Never Stop Exploring

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:34 pm 
LOST Addict

He is moving the site in the right direction. Writeups are getting citations and links to the original threads and the adds are gone. Thank you for being receptive to constructive criticism, staubitzk. I think these changes make your site a lot better and improve its credibility.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

It is hard to find whatever you are looking for on the forums, you have to remember some words, user's names, deal with the captchas and slows search engines. :furious: This web is simple, friendly, and pretty, and I like it. :jester:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:05 pm 

But its still watering down the "good forums" we already have in place
Not jumping on the fan bus yet, seen too many of these come and go over the years

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:42 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have a BIG issue with this site!
I spent many hours creating the two (2) How-to for the JBA 2.5" lift.
There is no mention of me, my post or any kind of credit being given to me for my efforts.
The 2 PDF documents he down loaded from my file host, and then posted links to, are a direct copy of my secured PDF files.
These files are copyrighted, and are only intended for a "single use" by lostjeeps.com members, and Nitrofoumz.com members, to assist them with a JBA lift kit install, at no charge.
These files were not produced and made available for mass distribution. Except with written permission from myself.

This is an unauthorized use of my copyrighted material.
My lawyer is being notified...

It's a shame that folks forget to read the disclaimers on Web sites. Just because it is there for the public to "see", does not make it fair game to steal it!
Most, if not all, content on the web is copyrighted.

BTW folks, did you notice the copyright notice at the bottom of his web site?
He is claiming Copyright to everything there. Despite the so called "Disclaimer".

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:00 am 

Scar0 wrote:
I have a BIG issue with this site!
I spent many hours creating the two (2) How-to for the JBA 2.5" lift.
There is no mention of me, my post or any kind of credit being given to me for my efforts.
The 2 PDF documents he down loaded from my file host, and then posted links to, are a direct copy of my secured PDF files.
These files are copyrighted, and are only intended for a "single use" by lostjeeps.com members, and Nitrofoumz.com members, to assist them with a JBA lift kit install, at no charge.
These files were not produced and made available for mass distribution. Except with written permission from myself.

It's a shame that folks forget to read the disclaimers on Web sites. Just because it is there for the public to "see", does not make it fair game to steal it!
Most, if not all, content on the web is copyrighted.

BTW folks, did you notice the copyright notice at the bottom of his web site?
He is claiming Copyright to everything there. Despite the so called "Disclaimer".

There this backs up what I have been saying all along

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:52 am 
LOST Junkie

Scar0 wrote:

Let me know how that works out for you. I hate when people say this and never follow through. Most of the time it's used as an empty threat.

I think your best course of action should be asking him to remove it first.