It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What is a good way to start modifying my 2010 Jeep Liber
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:47 am 
LOST Newbie

jjohnson1892 wrote:
Welcome to the club! The best thing to do (in my opinion) is to get off road a few times and see how your KK does versus your desires and expectations. I only ask my KK to do lighter trails and more backcountry-type travel than anything, so I fitted my KK accordingly (mild lift, AT tires in my optimum size).

As for the Jet, I have one as well! Some things to remember are a) you have 20 inch rims aka limited tire size selection, and b) you don’t have skid plates, which are beyond important if you’ll be hitting trails often.

As everyone has said, read, read, and read some more. It’s best to surf the threads, then ask if you have questions that aren’t answered, and then apply the knowledge. There are a ton of awesome write-ups, and a good variety of modification levels in the forums. Go enjoy your KK before you dump cash into it, get off road and see how it does!

PS - I am in the Flemington area, not too many clubs that I am aware of but LOST guys are always looking to meet up. Check out our regional page down lower in the sections :wink:

Thank you very much. How intense of offroading do you guys do?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:51 am 
LOST Junkie

Rowanswmr8 wrote:
Grannysgoat wrote:
Sorry, must have misunderstood the part of wanting to get into off roading....

Well I would like to eventually when I have the money to invest in the big ticket items like lifts and tires and all, but for now I am justifying the light covers as a way of preventing damage to the headlights in the event of a tree limb or rock kicks up and hits them on the trail. :2cents:

I've never heard of anyone damaging their headlights while Wheeling. If are going to be wheeling hard enough for that to be a problem then you really need to invest in some skids and sliders first. Even if you don't wheel that hard, if you plan on taking it off road at all then full skids, sliders, and recovery points should be your first investment. Save you money and get these before tires, a lift etc. They may not be visible or look cool, but they will save you more money in the long run. Trust me, armor is your friend.

Texans, come join us at Lone Star LOST!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/253493118163702?ref=bookmark&_rdr

Last edited by JeepNCrowd on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:56 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jjohnson1892 wrote:
Welcome to the club! The best thing to do (in my opinion) is to get off road a few times and see how your KK does versus your desires and expectations. I only ask my KK to do lighter trails and more backcountry-type travel than anything, so I fitted my KK accordingly (mild lift, AT tires in my optimum size).

As for the Jet, I have one as well! Some things to remember are a) you have 20 inch rims aka limited tire size selection, and b) you don’t have skid plates, which are beyond important if you’ll be hitting trails often.

As everyone has said, read, read, and read some more. It’s best to surf the threads, then ask if you have questions that aren’t answered, and then apply the knowledge. There are a ton of awesome write-ups, and a good variety of modification levels in the forums. Go enjoy your KK before you dump cash into it, get off road and see how it does!

PS - I am in the Flemington area, not too many clubs that I am aware of but LOST guys are always looking to meet up. Check out our regional page down lower in the sections :wink:

All very good advise!
Much better than lift it and bigger tires.
I do have a lift, but it was to make mine different than a zillion others. I first had front shims raising the nose. Then the rear springs were soft and starting to sag- I tow. So I wanted new springs. I couldn't stop myself I then lifted it. I actually liked it better unlifted, with the shims. Oh and I stick to stock tire size too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

Cherrie 274 wrote:
jjohnson1892 wrote:

All very good advise!
I do have a lift, but it was to make mine different than a zillion others. I first had front shims raising the nose. Then the rear springs were soft and starting to sag- I tow. So I wanted new springs. I couldn't stop myself I then lifted it. I actually liked it better unlifted, with the shims. Oh and I stick to stock tire size too.

Ok now I feel dumb, I have to ask what are shims? I know what they are in the construction world but where do they go in the car?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Skids, recovery points and better tires would be a good start but don't forget a full size spare :wink: . If you're not careful you'll get the mod bug. Bigger tires, smaller rims, regear to match the bigger tires then lockers while their in their. More armor, engine mods and the list goes on. :frankie: Have fun with it, don't buy anything crappy-buy once cry once. The KK is one of the most underrated vehicles out there, have fun with it.

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ted15 wrote:
Skids, recovery points and better tires would be a good start but don't forget a full size spare :wink: . If you're not careful you'll get the mod bug. Bigger tires, smaller rims, regear to match the bigger tires then lockers while their in their. More armor, engine mods and the list goes on. :frankie: Have fun with it, don't buy anything crappy-buy once cry once. The KK is one of the most underrated vehicles out there, have fun with it.

oh man I am so glad you chimed in Ted15. My car is the same as yours when you started. I love what you did to your car and I use it for my own reference all the time.

How long have you been modifying your jeep? Just trying to create a time line of events for my jeep.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JEEP, Just Empty Every Pocket.

PS, it's not a car, it's a Jeep...

Frankenlift II
245 75 16 Goodyear MTR's
Moabs
Al's UCA's
Boulderbars
Backbone with Warn XD9000i, Viking synthetic line
Rubicon Big Brother

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

Grannysgoat wrote:

Sorry, First slip....IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:03 pm 
LOST Junkie

BTW I have a rear tow hook for sale! :wink:

Texans, come join us at Lone Star LOST!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/253493118163702?ref=bookmark&_rdr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:37 pm 
LOST Addict

Rowanswmr8 wrote:
Grannysgoat wrote:

Sorry, First slip....IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN!!!!!

Lol you can call it a truck, too. :wink:

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Gibson stainless steel exhaust
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
BFG All Terrrain 225/75/16
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Rowanswmr8 wrote:
Cherrie 274 wrote:
jjohnson1892 wrote:

All very good advise!

Ok now I feel dumb, I have to ask what are shims? I know what they are in the construction world but where do they go in the car?

Shims or spacers go under the top of the front shock( strut) assembly. A former(?) member made them. JBA has them calls them strut spacer plates. JBA are 1/4 inch ? Mine were 3/8 or 1/2?.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:53 pm 
LOST Addict

Rowanswmr8 wrote:
Ted15 wrote:

oh man I am so glad you chimed in Ted15. My car is the same as yours when you started. I love what you did to your car and I use it for my own reference all the time.

How long have you been modifying your jeep? Just trying to create a time line of events for my jeep.

Don't rely on someone else's timeline. It's nice to see how they went about it, but don't rely on it. Everyone has a different opinion of things so they go about modifying their vehicles differently. You might want to build your jeep differently or your financial situation is different. Hell your needs might determine that you need something else first.

With that said always start with skids and recovery. Then you should go for tires, or a lift and tires(depends on wants and needs). And go from there. Play in rocks? A set of rock sliders get bumped up on the list. Do a lot of night wheeling? Then lights get bumped up. See where I'm going? Lol

Last thing to remember is that it's YOUR Jeep. Don't listen to other peoples comments on putting it down. Sure take advice, but overall it comes down to you. You foot the bill you build it how you want to.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:27 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Cherrie 274 wrote:
Rowanswmr8 wrote:
Cherrie 274 wrote:

Shims or spacers go under the top of the front shock( strut) assembly. A former(?) member made them. JBA has them calls them strut spacer plates. JBA are 1/4 inch ? Mine were 3/8 or 1/2?.

Boiler made both 1/4 inch and 3/8 inch for clarification, taken from my original design

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:50 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Rowanswmr8 wrote:
Ted15 wrote:

It's been a progression mostly of need with a couple wants thrown in for good measure lol. The first thing I did was install one of those RRO spacer lifts and 245/75-16 tires and a full set if skids. That was at about 15000 miles. Then I got stuck, bad. By the time I stopped trying to get it out I was on the chassis and needed help, about 1:00 AM we got it out after pulling one of my tow hooks through the bumper. That's when I decided to install a winch. The lift left a lot to be desired so I replaced it with the OME suspension that's on it now. I'd been wanting rock rails for awhile so in preparation for an off-road trip I ordered a set then was offered a deal on a safari rack. There were other things done like a CB, a couple lights, full size spare. Detours made a knuckle bone hitch mounted tire carrier. I have a small camper and with the bigger tires it was real hard on my jeep so I had to either regear or remove the tires, I regeared and had Eaton Trutracs installed. It's been an expensive process and parts are a challenge but it's been worth it for the most part. There isn't anything I've tried that it couldn't do since the limited slips and gears were done. No mud yet though, not until I get better tires.

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:53 am 
LOST Newbie

Ted15 wrote:
Rowanswmr8 wrote:
Ted15 wrote:

It's been a progression mostly of need with a couple wants thrown in for good measure lol. The first thing I did was install one of those RRO spacer lifts and 245/75-16 tires and a full set if skids. That was at about 15000 miles. Then I got stuck, bad. By the time I stopped trying to get it out I was on the chassis and needed help, about 1:00 AM we got it out after pulling one of my tow hooks through the bumper. That's when I decided to install a winch. The lift left a lot to be desired so I replaced it with the OME suspension that's on it now. I'd been wanting rock rails for awhile so in preparation for an off-road trip I ordered a set then was offered a deal on a safari rack. There were other things done like a CB, a couple lights, full size spare. Detours made a knuckle bone hitch mounted tire carrier. I have a small camper and with the bigger tires it was real hard on my jeep so I had to either regear or remove the tires, I regeared and had Eaton Trutracs installed. It's been an expensive process and parts are a challenge but it's been worth it for the most part. There isn't anything I've tried that it couldn't do since the limited slips and gears were done. No mud yet though, not until I get better tires.

So it seems to me that evryone is in agreement with the need for skid plates so now heres the BIG question....who makes the best skid plates and does anyone sell a package deal with all the skid plates I would need to start?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:32 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

There's no package I'm aware of and the only skids that I'm aware of are the ones from Jeep. A good reference for what you need would be from the Jeep Jamboree website. At a minimum, front and rear recovery points, full size spare and they either require or strongly suggest skid plates, I think they're required. A CB radio is also one of the first things you'll need on the trail.
Thanks for the kind words about my KK :SOMBRERO:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

I had a rack made for my KK with skyslider in Northern Indiana near South Bend. I posted pictures here and will post more once the weather breaks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KKandKayaks wrote:
I had a rack made for my KK with skyslider in Northern Indiana near South Bend. I posted pictures here and will post more once the weather breaks.

Somebody was asking about it too!
I think I gave them a link.
Hope they found yours.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:31 pm 
LOST Member

[quote="Rowanswmr8”]Thank you very much. How intense of offroading do you guys do?[/quote]

Everyone has their own levels of offroading. I tend to not do much “hardcore” wheeling like some, but I get on rougher trails on occasion. Can’t afford my skids yet so I'm taking it easy and going slow.

Never Stop Exploring

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello Gents!

I bought a 2009 KK after selling my YJ Wrangler (260k+ miles!, shackle reverse kit lift, boomerang rear, 15" steel w/ 31" trxus, warn front and rear bumpers, galaxy cb/firestick..etc.). I'm here because 1- I needed an affordable "new child capable" vehicle the wife approved of and a new(er) JK didn't cut it... whatever. 2- the transmission went out, plus see #1. 3- I never knew there was so much I could do with my Liberty!! So here I am. Got a Rockfather lift, and a rocky road rack system, neither are installed yet. Looking for front and rear bumpers, if anyone has switched from stock rims to 15" steel, effective tire outside diameter with a 2.5" lift, and anything else we can find. You guys have been there/done that so let's get going! :JEEPIN: