It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The official fitting a JK front bumper on the KK post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:32 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Alright I thought I'd start a new post where information and techniques for fitting either aftermarket or stock bumpers from a JK on our Libertys can be found in one nice neat searchable place. So what is everyone running, how did you fit it and how strong is it?

08 KK OEM skid plates, JK winch bumper w/ Hella 500s, K&N filter, JKS front discos, black out headlights w/ fogs added, blacked out & euro mod tail lights, Curt Hitch w/ oem wiring, OME Springs, JBA UCA & top plates, Cabin Filter Retro Fit, Custom Fender Mounted Light Mounts w/ Hella 500s, ATH roof bars, rear flush mount LEDs

Post subject: Re: The official fitting a JK front bumper on the KK post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:21 am 
LOST Member

I am about to start my project. I am installing a winch bumper so my install may be a little more complex. just waiting to stop at Morris 4x4 to see what looks better. and from that I will start all the triming.

two bumpers in mind. smittybilt srx and xrc.

let's see.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:15 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Something for all of you to think about on here. As you know I keep up on a lot of different companies and what is new/ whats coming out possibly ( if anything for KJ/KKs ) so little insider info ( hope I don't get in trouble but oh well ) :wink: .
Real sure there is a mounting bracket coming out that would bolt onto the front of a KJ/KK and would allow you to mount a TJ or JK bumper directly to it. Would you be interested ?
This would give everyone a wide array of options for bumpers, take the guess work on how to properly mount one and have a super strong mounting point. I've seen some TJ/JK bumpers mounted and personally most look pretty sketchy as far as over all strength unless you have access to a welder and fab skills. This bracket would allow the average Joe Smo to mount his in the driveway with common hand tools .

Comments ??

This is not the one shown on Twitter etc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:28 am 
LOST Member

Tom, if the price is right, I would definitely be interested

'08, OME HD/MD coils, Ironman shocks, Al's A-arms, Top plates, ATH front recovery, V-Tec Offroad wheels 17x8.5, Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac's 265/65R17, Jasper Offroad 12" Dual LED lightbar, Mopar hitch and harness, RRO roof rails and cross bars, Viper throttle body, K&N FIPK, Hypertech Max Energy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:59 am 
LOST Addict

Yeah that would be cool!

Sent with the power of children's screams!!!

2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:00 am 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

tommudd wrote:
Something for all of you to think about on here. As you know I keep up on a lot of different companies and what is new/ whats coming out possibly ( if anything for KJ/KKs ) so little insider info ( hope I don't get in trouble but oh well ) :wink: .
Real sure there is a mounting bracket coming out that would bolt onto the front of a KJ/KK and would allow you to mount a TJ or JK bumper directly to it. Would you be interested ?
This would give everyone a wide array of options for bumpers, take the guess work on how to properly mount one and have a super strong mounting point. I've seen some TJ/JK bumpers mounted and personally most look pretty sketchy as far as over all strength unless you have access to a welder and fab skills. This bracket would allow the average Joe Smo to mount his in the driveway with common hand tools .

Comments ??

Not a bad idea. For those determined to modify a JK bumper to fit a KK/KJ, you need to use something like this. DO NOT just bolt on to the kk/kj's crossmember with the jk factory mounting points unless you never plan on using it for recovery.

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:53 am 
LOST Member

tommudd wrote:

Comments ??

all I have to say to this is SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!! That would be amazing. It would save me so much time and money to just be able to bolt a mounting bracket on. Definitely would buy.

Sent from my iPhone 5

ATH Steel Roof Rack Bars / RL Super Skink Rock Sliders
Hypertech Max Energy Engine Tuner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:42 pm 

Well all I can say its in the works right now. Lots of thought/ designing etc going into it so it will be an easy bolt on affair. Not everyone has the means or ability to weld up brackets etc so I think this is the answer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:10 pm 
LOST Member

i will have the bracket ready in about two weeks according to my fab guy.
this is a more or less sketch of the bracket. we even contemplate the posibility of making a bar going down to strengthen the bracket and to serve as a radiator and ps cooler skid support.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Now it's getting interesting. Used JK bumper are plentiful so an adapter is a great idea. My only question is how far would an adapter push the bumper away from the front end? Add me to the people interested in an adapter :POPCORN:

08 KK OEM skid plates, JK winch bumper w/ Hella 500s, K&N filter, JKS front discos, black out headlights w/ fogs added, blacked out & euro mod tail lights, Curt Hitch w/ oem wiring, OME Springs, JBA UCA & top plates, Cabin Filter Retro Fit, Custom Fender Mounted Light Mounts w/ Hella 500s, ATH roof bars, rear flush mount LEDs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:12 am 
LOST Member

Any type of bolt on bracket would awesome for a Libby. Must be strong enough for a winch bumper and not stick out farther then a arb.

Frankenlifted front, custom springs 4" rear, 23.25" F/R - 265/75 Duratracs 16x7 D windows- JBA 4.5 UCAs, Y-link - AEM Brute Intake - Rockcrusher diff cover, Mopar Front Skid, All J belly skid, Skink Sliders - EBC Green Stuff F/R - DTT Front, 4.10s

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:42 pm 
LOST Junkie

I might be interested in somethin like this ;)

Sent from my iPhone using the power of children's laughter

Chincy 2" lift for now
31x10.50r15s
HPD30 front and D44 rear

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:03 pm 
LOST Junkie

tommudd wrote:

Comments ??

I would love this I woild just throw my money at the person for the mounts

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:34 pm 
LOST Addict

:shock: Very interesting post, Tom! Gonna be some great/unique looking KJ's and KK's around here!

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Gibson stainless steel exhaust
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
BFG All Terrrain 225/75/16
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:45 pm 

I think it will open up whats available to KK/KJ owners and allow them to personalize the looks even more. :wink:
PLUS the best thing is the bumper will actually be usable and safe, something that I disliked about some of them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:41 am 

For those of you who are thinking about doing this, be forwarned that the turn signals are mounted to the factory plastic bumper. Unless you want a huge hole in that area, you'll need to make your own mounts for them and find a place to bolt that mount to. The back of the turn signals are plastic and awkward, so doing this isn't as easy as some might think. There is also the area below the turn signals that probably should be filled. Another issue is how low the radiator and power steering cooler sit. I'm sure some jk bumpers sit lower than others, but this area will likely be open and vulnerable even with the factory rad skid.

Don't get me wrong, I do think said fabricator/supplier is on to something and I'm sure a jk bumper mounted to a kk/ kj will serve its purpose. It would be nice for the masses to have more than two options for bumpers but final looks, fit and frustrating install might not be so desirable.

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:23 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Atthehelm wrote:
For those of you who are thinking about doing this, be forwarned that the turn signals are mounted to the factory plastic bumper. Unless you want a huge hole in that area, you'll need to make your own mounts for them and find a place to bolt that mount to. The back of the turn signals are plastic and awkward, so doing this isn't as easy as some might think. There is also the area below the turn signals that probably should be filled. Another issue is how low the radiator and power steering cooler sit. I'm sure some jk bumpers sit lower than others, but this area will likely be open and vulnerable even with the factory rad skid.

Don't get me wrong, I do think said fabricator/supplier is on to something and I'm sure a jk bumper mounted to a kk/ kj will serve its purpose. It would be nice for the masses to have more than two options for bumpers but final looks, fit and frustrating install might not be so desirable.

Absolutely Morgan, this bracket would not be an all inclusive bolt on & run type product. If you don't want to or don't possess the skill set to put in some extra fab work than your best bet would be a KK specific bumper like yours. For those that have some skill & tools, it's a doable option for multiple options & price ranges of bumpers & it's truly exciting. It's all a matter of price & availability after all. Price the brackets too high & it may not be worth the headache.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:01 am 

With all of the LED turn signals out there now the door is wide open in how you mount or what you use for turns, thats the simplest part. I've had 3 different setups on mine while running the matrix and all would work on a KK .

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:08 am 
LOST Junkie

the leds cause the blinkers to flash as if they were dead because of the low current draw if you didnt mod the resistors am i correct?

Sent from my iPhone using the power of children's laughter

Chincy 2" lift for now
31x10.50r15s
HPD30 front and D44 rear

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:23 am 
LOST Junkie

Well they may pacts to make them blink right just needs power the problem would only be the running lights which isn't a big deal ik plenty if people who rub small round LEDs as blinkers done right on tjs with flat tube flares