It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The official fitting a JK front bumper on the KK post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:04 pm 
LOST Member

Interesting discussion going on here...

Tom, that would be a cool product. Definitely seems less sketchy and more desirable for those who can’t fabricate (like me). But the price point is probably going to be the key to success if the product comes out - anything above $300-400 would probably kill the idea, due to cost on top of the bumper price. Super interesting, though, since JK’s and TJ’s are all catalogue queens and we could utilize some of their products.

Morgan, interesting points on the turn signal discussion. That would definitely need to be addressed somehow, and I guess the small details of fitting would just have to address it.

Love this new idea and the current projects going on for fitting JK bumpers. Consider me subscribing :POPCORN:

Never Stop Exploring

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:02 pm 
LOST Member

Atthehelm wrote:
For those of you who are thinking about doing this, be forwarned that the turn signals are mounted to the factory plastic bumper. Unless you want a huge hole in that area, you'll need to make your own mounts for them and find a place to bolt that mount to. The back of the turn signals are plastic and awkward, so doing this isn't as easy as some might think. There is also the area below the turn signals that probably should be filled. Another issue is how low the radiator and power steering cooler sit. I'm sure some jk bumpers sit lower than others, but this area will likely be open and vulnerable even with the factory rad skid.

Don't get me wrong, I do think said fabricator/supplier is on to something and I'm sure a jk bumper mounted to a kk/ kj will serve its purpose. It would be nice for the masses to have more than two options for bumpers but final looks, fit and frustrating install might not be so desirable.

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw this topic. Couldn't the turn signal bulbs be relocated to the fog light housings and just the fog bulbs/wires simply removed? So long as the bulbs fit into the hole and the o-ring could seal the bulb in properly I would assume that it would work perfect. Plus no splicing or cutting wires and messing with turn signal relays and having to put up with funky blinking patterns.

ATH Steel Roof Rack Bars / RL Super Skink Rock Sliders
Hypertech Max Energy Engine Tuner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:45 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Atthehelm wrote:
but final looks, fit and frustrating install might not be so desirable.

:shock: :shock:
Wow knock a product before it is even seen by the masses, come on now Atthehelm. :wink:
They want the fit and finish to be up to the highest standards, no frustrating install at all, simply remove stock bumper and install the mounting bracket, (almost the same as you do for an ARB bumper). Then bolt on the aftermarket TJ bumper you like or the JK depending on which you like .
Turn signals will be up to the individual of course but there are so many options out there if you look at what the TJ and JK owners are doing. Really the lights will be no harder than what installing the mounting bracket and bumper will be, maybe less. I've ran 3 different LED setups on mine so far with no issues of strange blinks or anything issues.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:45 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

tommudd wrote:
Atthehelm wrote:
but final looks, fit and frustrating install might not be so desirable.

:shock: :shock:
Wow knock a product before it is even seen by the masses, come on now Atthehelm. :wink:
They want the fit and finish to be up to the highest standards, no frustrating install at all, simply remove stock bumper and install the mounting bracket, (almost the same as you do for an ARB bumper). Then bolt on the aftermarket TJ bumper you like or the JK depending on which you like .
Turn signals will be up to the individual of course but there are so many options out there if you look at what the TJ and JK owners are doing. Really the lights will be no harder than what installing the mounting bracket and bumper will be, maybe less. I've ran 3 different LED setups on mine so far with no issues of strange blinks or anything issues.

Nice way to edit my post! I was never 'knocking' anybody, in fact I said quite the opposite as seen below. Putting in some aftermarket LEDs with resistors on the bumper isn't a problem but you'll be left with a big hole where the factory sigs were. I'm just trying to point these things out to help people make a wise choice.
Atthehelm wrote:
Not a bad idea. For those determined to modify a JK bumper to fit a KK/KJ, you need to use something like this. DO NOT just bolt on to the kk/kj's crossmember with the jk factory mounting points unless you never plan on using it for recovery.

Atthehelm wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I do think said fabricator/supplier is on to something and I'm sure a jk bumper mounted to a kk/ kj will serve its purpose. It would be nice for the masses to have more than two options for bumpers but final looks

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:30 pm 

Atthehelm wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I do think said fabricator/supplier is on to something and I'm sure a jk bumper mounted to a kk/ kj will serve its purpose. It would be nice for the masses to have more than two options for bumpers but final looks, fit and frustrating install might not be so desirable.

Still reads the same way to me ....final looks and frustrating install might not be so desirable
But oh well , you'll see when it comes out and only doing it to provide some other options that have not been available before unless you had welding skills :wink:

Have a great evening all !!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:05 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well the my cheap connection for JK bumpers has been ruled out. It did seem too good to be true so I guess shame on me for not jumping on them earlier. Bumpers went from an amazing price of $315 to $515 shipped in a matter of a couple weeks. Depending on if and when the adapters come to market and their price, it may be close to what a KK specific bumper would cost. Time to watch the classifieds for used bumpers more closely. :banghead:

08 KK OEM skid plates, JK winch bumper w/ Hella 500s, K&N filter, JKS front discos, black out headlights w/ fogs added, blacked out & euro mod tail lights, Curt Hitch w/ oem wiring, OME Springs, JBA UCA & top plates, Cabin Filter Retro Fit, Custom Fender Mounted Light Mounts w/ Hella 500s, ATH roof bars, rear flush mount LEDs

Last edited by toy4everyseason on Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:10 am 
LOST Addict

toy4everyseason wrote:
Well the my cheap connection for JK bumpers has been ruled out. It did seem too good to be true so I guess shame on me for not jumping on them earlier. Bumpers went from an amazing price of $315 to $515 shipped in a matter of a couple weeks. Depending on if and when the adapters come to market and their price, it may close to what a KK specific bumper would cost. Time to watch the classifieds for used bumpers more closely. :banghead:

Keep a close eye. JK owners are constantly installing new bumpers. Also, since it's still tax season, probably a few more people have done it as well.
You could probably save a few bucks by driving to a destination if it's within a few hours of you. :2cents:

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Gibson stainless steel exhaust
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
BFG All Terrrain 225/75/16
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:19 am 
LOST Member

my car been on the dealer for 4 days now, and finally is ready today. my headlights stopped working and the TIMP had to be replaced.
also the front output shaft grease seal had to be replaced and for some reason they replaced the whole shaft as well.

so i lost all this week that basically i had the tome to start with my project. don't have much time, jeep beach is in about three weeks.
for the ones that don't know what jeep beach is http://www.jeepbeach.com/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:50 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Found a JK stock bumper locally so it's time to start looking into mounting options & how I can add a winch plate to the stock JK bumper. It's going to have to wait till my next weekend to figure things out on an adapter since this weekend is consumed with baby projects. My estimate is it will be about $250 all said & done and I'll have a winchable bumper. :BANANA:

08 KK OEM skid plates, JK winch bumper w/ Hella 500s, K&N filter, JKS front discos, black out headlights w/ fogs added, blacked out & euro mod tail lights, Curt Hitch w/ oem wiring, OME Springs, JBA UCA & top plates, Cabin Filter Retro Fit, Custom Fender Mounted Light Mounts w/ Hella 500s, ATH roof bars, rear flush mount LEDs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

carlosburitica wrote:
my car been on the dealer for 4 days now, and finally is ready today. my headlights stopped working and the TIMP had to be replaced.
also the front output shaft grease seal had to be replaced and for some reason they replaced the whole shaft as well.

so i lost all this week that basically i had the tome to start with my project. don't have much time, jeep beach is in about three weeks.
for the ones that don't know what jeep beach is http://www.jeepbeach.com/

Do you have to be 21 I'm pretty sure I read you have to

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:35 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Anyone know the inside dimensions of our frame rails. ie 2x3 or 2x2?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:11 pm 
LOST Junkie

toy4everyseason wrote:
Anyone know the inside dimensions of our frame rails. ie 2x3 or 2x2?

I would go with 2x3 since they are rectangular

Chincy 2" lift for now
31x10.50r15s
HPD30 front and D44 rear

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well I got the steel I need from an old school metal fabricator for $20. Gotta love the dirty grungy guy that guesstimate prices & works in cash. Now I just gotta find time for mockup. I got to 1/4in steel plates to bolt the bumper to & some 2x3 in, 3/16in thick tubing to bolt inside the frame. Should be plenty strong.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:06 pm 
LOST Member

toy4everyseason wrote:
Well I got the steel I need from an old school metal fabricator for $20. Gotta love the dirty grungy guy that guesstimate prices & works in cash. Now I just gotta find time for mockup. I got to 1/4in steel plates to bolt the bumper to & some 2x3 in, 3/16in thick tubing to bolt inside the frame. Should be plenty strong.

I'm a bit confused. Are you trying to stick a winch plate on a stock Plastic JK bumper and bolt it to your KK with 1/4" plates and 2x3 3/16" rectangular steel tubing? What are the advantages to having a plastic JK bumper over the plastic KK bumper? Originally, I thought you were talking about getting an aftermarket steel JK bumper and fitting it to your KK. Perhaps you can clarify.

Sent from my iPhone

ATH Steel Roof Rack Bars / RL Super Skink Rock Sliders
Hypertech Max Energy Engine Tuner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:34 am 
LOST Addict

There's built in tow hooks on the JK bumpers. So it is useful. Possible that he likes the look of it as well.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

mawlkrawler wrote:
toy4everyseason wrote:

I'm a bit confused. Are you trying to stick a winch plate on a stock Plastic JK bumper and bolt it to your KK with 1/4" plates and 2x3 3/16" rectangular steel tubing? What are the advantages to having a plastic JK bumper over the plastic KK bumper? Originally, I thought you were talking about getting an aftermarket steel JK bumper and fitting it to your KK. Perhaps you can clarify.

Sent from my iPhone

I'm using the stock JK bumper for mockup & may consider adding a winch plate to it. Most likely I'll end up getting an aftermarket bumper once the general design of the adapter is completed. Much easier & cheaper to move a 25lb, $50 bumper around than a steel one.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:26 am 
LOST Member

my fab guys is back in town, need t stop by and see if the bracket is ready

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:54 am 
LOST Junkie

carlosburitica wrote:

What are the brackets for ???

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

silverkk wrote:
carlosburitica wrote:

What are the brackets for ???

For fitting a JK bumper to a KK of course :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:30 pm 
LOST Junkie

How much are they running you to have made

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next