It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Increase in mpg w/ 4.7L TB
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:40 am 
LOST Newbie

OK PA what TB did you drop in. Since you got a 2012 as well I would kinda like to hear what one you threw in and any recommendations on where to get a pair of them.

2012 LIBERTY SPORT BLACK FOREST GREEN. SOON TO BE THE ONLY 2012 RENEGADE

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:00 am 
LOST Newbie

Seems like all the TB'S listed earlier week work in any year and I'm assuming if the computer reverted back to bad mpg someone would have posted about it, but would be nice to get some updates since some time has passed, especially from anyone with an 11-12

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:23 pm 
LOST Addict

Still no problems with my 2008...

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Gibson stainless steel exhaust
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
BFG All Terrrain 225/75/16
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:10 am 
LOST Addict

Phsarge wrote:
OK PA what TB did you drop in. Since you got a 2012 as well I would kinda like to hear what one you threw in and any recommendations on where to get a pair of them.

This is from earlier in the forum from scar0

VIPER 13 Throttle Valve Assembly
COMMANDER 08-09 4.7L
DODGE 1500 PICKUP 08-13 Throttle Valve Assembly; 4.7L
DAKOTA 08-11 Throttle Valve Assembly; 4.7L
ASPEN 08-09 4.7L
DURANGO 08-09 Throttle Valve Assembly; 4.7L
GRAND CHEROKEE 08-09 Throttle Valve Assembly; 4.7L
VIPER 08-10 Throttle Valve Assembly

I bought a TB from an 08 Commander. So far hasn't given me an issue. If your lucky enough you may find a Dakota in the junk yard but your better off buying online for it and saving your time.

You will need a larger inake tube. Buy a 90, straight, and 45 degree 3" od and call it a day. I found it difficult to find a distributor near me that made 3" id tube. So anything that markets 3" diameter will work. I drilled the rubber coupler to fit the maf sensor right by the intake manifold.

For this to work the first time no issues "headache", disconect the battery. Took me about an hour and a half to do all of that stuf.

Once the battery is connected turn the engine on and lightly press the gas pedal, rpms will hold around 1.5k and lower once the ecu learns it. The ecu should understand what you did with in 2 gas pedal presses. This is a fairly easy install.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

Last edited by PALiftedKK on Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:25 am 
LOST Addict

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

nFodzy wrote:
Where can i get one?

Get one of what I don't get it am I missing something

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just so you guys know, they make silicone adapters for throttle bodies and they are not uncommon. You don't need to hack up your stock intake system to make the 4.7 TB work and bolt on.

I got this adapter on Amazon for a 2.75" to 3.25" conjoinment:

http://amzn.to/1E4K7tU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:01 pm 
LOST Addict

There would be zero benifit to getting a larger intake feed if you dont have a 4.7l TB

The 4.7l TB actually is litterly a bolt on.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

PALiftedKK wrote:
There would be zero benifit to getting a larger intake feed if you dont have a 4.7l TB

The OD of the 3.7L TB is 2.75" and the 4.7L TB is 3.25". The stock 3.7L air intake tubing doesn't stretch over the 4.7L TB 3.25" opening so the adapter is needed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:48 pm 
LOST Addict

mattyvac wrote:
PALiftedKK wrote:

The OD of the 3.7L TB is 2.75" and the 4.7L TB is 3.25". The stock 3.7L air intake tubing doesn't stretch over the 4.7L TB 3.25" opening so the adapter is needed.

you are correct.

if you have the 3.7l TB still installed there is no benefit whats so ever on upgrading the intake tube.

so you bought the 4.7l TB and kept the original intake????

most that install the 4.7l TB and throw out the stock intake assembly and throw on a cold air intake. some have modified the intake box to accept a 3 inch hose or tube. not much of a gain on keeping the stock intake assembly paired with the 4.7l.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

PALiftedKK wrote:
mattyvac wrote:
PALiftedKK wrote:

you are correct.

if you have the 3.7l TB still installed there is no benefit whats so ever on upgrading the intake tube.

so you bought the 4.7l TB and kept the original intake????

most that install the 4.7l TB and throw out the stock intake assembly and throw on a cold air intake. some have modified the intake box to accept a 3 inch hose or tube. not much of a gain on keeping the stock intake assembly paired with the 4.7l.

Yes - I am keeping my stock intake assembly for now to see how it performs.

I haven't seen any information or data yet that says that the 3.7L TB maxed out the CFM rating of the current stock intake system. While I believe manufacturers design things only to the specs they are needed and not anything more; it's possible the stock 3.7L intake system is able to handle enough air throughput to satisfy the 4.7L TB.

If it doesn't provide any performance increase I will just put the stock 3.7L back in or get a CAI tube.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:41 pm 
LOST Junkie

So I've had my 4.7 tb for a while.. I have run the stock intake with an adapter as well as a bigger tube CAI in my experience I have found a 1-3mpg increase over stock tb performance with either tube.

Even Though I am currently getting 10-15 mpg "instant" right now due to evap issues I'm hunting down I decided to try the stock setup (3.7tb and intake) and found that my mpg decreased to 9-13 "instant" which would average 14 and 11 respectively.

Considering I have both tubes with maf sensors and both tb's
I'd like to do a direct comparison eventually where I fill up and run to empty with both and check miles.
When I do I'll post my findings here

TLDR: I get better mpg With the 4.7
I'd like to do a full to empty test with both for exact data

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

TIJKK1220 wrote:
So I've had my 4.7 tb for a while.. I have run the stock intake with an adapter as well as a bigger tube CAI in my experience I have found a 1-3mpg increase over stock tb performance with either tube.

Even Though I am currently getting 10-15 mpg "instant" right now due to evap issues I'm hunting down I decided to try the stock setup (3.7tb and intake) and found that my mpg decreased to 9-13 "instant" which would average 14 and 11 respectively.

I'd like to do a direct comparison eventually where I fill up and run to empty with both and check miles.

If you could do a tank with the 4.7L TB and the stock intake assembly, and one with the CAI assembly - that would be most excellent for my use case I mentioned above!

I will also be trying this out but I have no CAI to use, only the stock intake assembly with both TBs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:19 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

mattyvac wrote:
TIJKK1220 wrote:

If you could do a tank with the 4.7L TB and the stock intake assembly, and one with the CAI assembly - that would be most excellent for my use case I mentioned above!

I will also be trying this out but I have no CAI to use, only the stock intake assembly with both TBs

Use the stock box, it flows enough for the 4.7 TB
ONLY thing the CAI will get you is more hot air and more noise making some think its working better
Its not trust me

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:26 pm 
LOST Junkie

Hopefully my data will tell once and for all tom (:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:19 am 
LOST Addict

20.1mpg on my last tank of gas. I still enjoy the bigger throttle body.
It really helped me a bunch.

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Gibson stainless steel exhaust
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
BFG All Terrrain 225/75/16
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:25 am 

TIJKK1220 wrote:
Hopefully my data will tell once and for all tom (:

Been there, tested it way before the KKs came out
I know what the results are
CAI= more noise only
IF, any difference it would be for short term only, not long term

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

Installed my 4.7L TB with a silicone adapter today.

I installed it backwards (opposite) so I didn't have to modify the stock attachment posts or anything - it dropped right in.

One thing, though, is that when I pulled both cables on my battery for a few minutes, my system still didn't reset I don't think. The 'jeep' logo didnt return on the uconnect unit. When I turned the engine back on and reconnected the battery my uConnect settings were still the same, background picture, etc...

Also when I stopped on the gas briefly it shot up to 3,000-3,250 RPM and not 1500 like the other guys in this thread.

I drove around the block and noticed no difference in noise or responsive ness...YMMV lol

It's a 2012 KK. Not sure if my weird battery reset didn't do anything it needed to do?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:03 pm 
LOST Addict

mattyvac wrote:

I installed it backwards (opposite) so I didn't have to modify the stock attachment posts or anything - it dropped right in.

One thing, though, is that when I pulled both cables on my battery for a few minutes, my system still didn't reset I don't think. The 'jeep' logo didnt return on the uconnect unit. When I turned the engine back on and reconnected the battery my uConnect settings were still the same, background picture, etc...

Also when I stopped on the gas briefly it shot up to 3,000-3,250 RPM and not 1500 like the other guys in this thread.

I drove around the block and noticed no difference in noise or responsive ness...YMMV lol

It's a 2012 KK. Not sure if my weird battery reset didn't do anything it needed to do?

when working on anything electrical, battery "should" be disconnected from start to finish. I redid the whole intake so it took me about 2 hours to complete. the ecu reset. if yours didn't, just disconnect the battery for a solid 2 hours. correct me if I am wrong members, but the old TB data is still stored and the 4.7 TB is just writing over the previous config. will take longer for the system to get a good idea on the 4.7 l TB.

once that's done with, "press" on the gas pedal. baby the TB for a few minutes. let the ecu learn it, then you could have your fun with it.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

PALiftedKK wrote:
mattyvac wrote:

when working on anything electrical, battery "should" be disconnected from start to finish. I redid the whole intake so it took me about 2 hours to complete. the ecu reset. if yours didn't, just disconnect the battery for a solid 2 hours. correct me if I am wrong members, but the old TB data is still stored and the 4.7 TB is just writing over the previous config. will take longer for the system to get a good idea on the 4.7 l TB.

once that's done with, "press" on the gas pedal. baby the TB for a few minutes. let the ecu learn it, then you could have your fun with it.

So my 'soft' reset should still work but just take longer?

EDIT: I disco'd my battery for an hour just now and the full 'reset' took place on my uconnect so I'm assuming a full system reset took place. After ignition it only hung at 1250rpm for a second or two...It did it longer after the last battery disco reset with my 3.7L TB earlier this weekend. Whatever....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next