It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NAM's Secret (Extended Brake Lines)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:50 pm 
LOST Addict

Okay...sorry for leading you guys on with this...the part I got that I can help you guys get for much cheaper than JBA-our ONLY current option-are extended rear stainless steel brake lines.

Ziptie Mockup Comparison:

Our old rubber ones were 12" end to end and these are 20" end to end. These will allow those with 3"+ of rear lift to let their axles droop further down. My measurements were for correlated to what these brake lines will let me do too (that's still for me to know until kinks are worked out).

Here's how the new lines are at current full droop:

This is where they rest at 3.5" lift (rear springs are a little saggy...):

For those of you interested in this product, I custom ordered them through Crown Performance ( http://www.crownperformance.com/pages/Contact-Us.html ) . These were $88 shipped to my doorstep, much cheaper than $200 JBA wants and are about 4" longer (you can order these with 16", 18", or 20" lengths). These were installed via double flare on the brake line (thanks lfhoward for the write-up, saved me many stops to Adv Auto...), and a JK 90° banjo fitting with new copper washers. The salesman/tech at Crown, John, will be able to help you get the necessary hardware for kit. This should include a male threaded fitting for our 3/16ths line, 4 copper washers, and the stainless steel brake hose in your desired length with fitting attached already.

(Thanks 4x4kayak for putting up with me hahaha)

Last edited by NAMoulton1 on Fri May 08, 2015 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: NAM's Secret
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Awesome! I'm sold, $88 is a whole hell of a lot easier to swallow.

08 KK OEM skid plates, JK winch bumper w/ Hella 500s, K&N filter, JKS front discos, black out headlights w/ fogs added, blacked out & euro mod tail lights, Curt Hitch w/ oem wiring, OME Springs, JBA UCA & top plates, Cabin Filter Retro Fit, Custom Fender Mounted Light Mounts w/ Hella 500s, ATH roof bars, rear flush mount LEDs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:21 pm 
LOST Addict

Nice work, NAM! The 90 degree banjo bolt is an improvement over what I used, because it will help get the brake line up and out of the way. The biggest issue with extended lines is making sure they don't rub on the tires, either when flexed or not, because that would lead to bursting, loss of brake fluid, and lack of braking ability... Bad stuff. The price tag is great! It's good to know there are options out there. Are these Crown braided lines coated in plastic to make them corrosion resistant?

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:25 pm 
LOST Addict

lfhoward wrote:
Nice work, NAM! The 90 degree banjo bolt is an improvement over what I used, because it will help get the brake line up and out of the way. The biggest issue with extended lines is making sure they don't rub on the tires, either when flexed or not, because that would lead to bursting, loss of brake fluid, and lack of braking ability... Bad stuff. The price tag is great! It's good to know there are options out there. Are these Crown braided lines coated in plastic to make them corrosion resistant?

Yes, forgot to mention they have lots of colors to wrap around the stainless steel. I chose clear giving them the silver look because I plan to have everything match Bilstein shocks soon.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:00 pm 
LOST Member

Can you supply a part number for these lines?

06 Renegade, 265-70-16 Duratracs on Moab's/OMF, RL sliders ,roof rack, On board air, JBA-UCA, adjust-a strut, Rear-OME 948 two uppers ,Sensatrac shocks, Boiler rad. skid, Mopar/4x guard skid,Terra-flex 4:1,HD cooling,more lights, gauges. ARB/Warn, Mudds Rear Bumper.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:05 pm 
LOST Addict

KJ/toy wrote:
Can you supply a part number for these lines?

Unfortunately, no. These were a custom order. I was talking to the sales rep in actually making these a kit available to us though since they do kits for Wranglers and XJs...but alas it might be more work than it's worth because maybe only 10 of us will actually buy these. That said...just call the number and ask John Garate and since he has a history in building these custom lines for KKs he can help.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:23 am 
LOST Addict

Looks good!!! Be a good addition for the "higher plans"

2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:57 am 
LOST Addict

Awesome! I'm putting these on my to do list (why do you keep making it grow?). So you're new 20" length is 8" longer than stock and 4" longer than JBA'

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:47 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I thought about these after I had purchased JBA's because I thought it came with all 4 fronts and backs since the picture on the website shows 4 brakelines so I thought it wouldn't be so bad for $200 :(

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:45 pm 
LOST Addict

JeepMonkey190 wrote:
I thought about these after I had purchased JBA's because I thought it came with all 4 fronts and backs since the picture on the website shows 4 brakelines so I thought it wouldn't be so bad for $200 :(

The fronts just don't need it. Otherwise I might not have tried going through a custom source. But then again, $200 was a hefty price to me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:47 pm 
LOST Addict

Bmxer524 wrote:
Awesome! I'm putting these on my to do list (why do you keep making it grow?). So you're new 20" length is 8" longer than stock and 4" longer than JBA'

Sorry BMX, I keep spending my wedding money on parts too haha. I am pretty sure JBAs are 16" (for the rear, no clue what front is). The 16" will work if you're at 3-4" and plan on keeping shocks that extend to 26" but I didn't feel like buying rear brake lines twice so I went a little overboard.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:02 pm 
LOST Addict

You're planning on 6" rear springs? (You probably told me this and I forgot, sorry)

Does the 20" lines stay off the tires and moving parts or did you need to use zip ties?

This will go on the list, but it'll be after the adjust-a-struts are in. Then I need to figure out my rear set up. I like the level ride height. So I'll need to figure something out to get 22" in the rear.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:10 pm 
LOST Addict

Bmxer524 wrote:
You're planning on 6" rear springs? (You probably told me this and I forgot, sorry)

Does the 20" lines stay off the tires and moving parts or did you need to use zip ties?

This will go on the list, but it'll be after the adjust-a-struts are in. Then I need to figure out my rear set up. I like the level ride height. So I'll need to figure something out to get 22" in the rear.

20" is doing pretty good, the only time they'll hit is the upper control arm when compressed all the way. The 90* banjo fitting helps to keep up and out of the way.

I could sell you my rear springs...they're already sagging to 22.5" haha.