It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: And all of a sudden no power... IOD fuse blown
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi all,

I figured I share my KK-day with you. My newborn son, wife and I went to a doctor's appointment for him this morning. As always, the KK was just fine, no issues whatsoever. I parked the vehicle in the doctor's park lot. We went in and came back out; around 35 minutes later. I put the key in the ignition, cranked it, and... not much happened. The starter made some sort of sound, but neither a constant clicking nor a typical turn over sound.

The dash display illuminated all gears (P, R, N, D, 1, 2), showed the total miles. I cranked it again and noticed that the displayed showed for a millisecond something that resembled "noFUSE".

Luckily I always have a multimeter and ODB2 reader in the KK. Hooked it up, no codes. Opened the hood, opened the TIPM, checked the fuses. All were good per the multimeter. Also, all fuses were properly seated. I inspected the wiring and couldn't see any critter damage. KK still didn't want to start. I checked the battery - voltage seemed normal.

So I took to the internet. Turned out that I am apparently not the first Jeep and also not the first KK with this issue. To our luck, there was an Enterprise Rental Car location near by. I reserved a car, went over there, an picked it up. Ironically, Enterprise gave me a Jeep.

Now that I got wheels, I dropped the wife and baby off at home, purchased a new battery (the current one was still the original and 3 years old; I figured might as well replace it. Its cheap insurance), and also bought a new 60 AMP Maxi fuse (basically the IOD fuse, or J13 fuse).

Then I drove back to the KK, swapped the battery and fuse, and its now running like a champ again! No issues, even after several starts. I checked the alternator and its producing right around 14V at idle. Looks good to me and should be charging the battery.

Each family member, including the KK, is back home again. My day however was mostly gone and I didn't get anything done that I had originally planned.

For anybody reading this:

1.) keep a spare 60 AMP fuse in your car. Its cheap insurance. Look under your hood in the TIPM - Fuse J13. Go and buy one if you don't already carry a spare.

2.) If stuck with the "noFUSE" warning: swap fuse first. Cheapest fix and it should get you going. If it doesn't help... well... battery, starter solenoid, wiring... your guess is as good as mine.

Nevertheless, I also wanted to put a question out there for the KK experts:

A.) What (beside too much current) would blow the IOD fuse?

B.) Is my KK fixed or am I at the risk of blowing the IOD again? What is the proper way to diagnose if there is a bigger issue at fault here?

C.) Reading on this forum and others, the KK seems to be one of many Chrysler models that has IOD issues: RAM's, Wranglers, Liberties, Compass'. Seems to be a reasonably "common" issue. Any insights anybody has are appreciated.

Hope you day was better than mine!

BR
Oban

Post subject: Re: And all of a sudden no power... IOD fuse blown
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:21 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Good info to know. Something did cause it to pop, a normal load will not do that.

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!