It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2012 Liberty Jet No heat on Drivers side
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:11 am 
LOST Newbie

Hey everyone, New to the Forum.. I've been looking all over trying to find an answer but I don't see anyone who has posted anything other than something similar problems. I recently bought a 2012 Liberty Jet. I love it so far but it's about to be winter so I want to get this fixed asap. When I turn the heat on, the passenger side is nice and warm out of all the vents on that side like it should be but all of the vents on the drivers side blow out cold air. I've seen lots of similar issues with people saying it could be the heater core or the blend door or the blend door actuator motor. Anyone with the same problem and solution? The heater core doesn't make sense to me. The jeep runs at a good temp the coolant level is good and At least one side has heat if it was the core wouldn't I have no heat? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

Gibson Cat back
OME with clevis lift and extra spring ISO's
JBA UCA's and Extended Sway bar links
16X8 Cragars wrapped in General Grabbers
ATH Shackle mounts

Post subject: Re: 2012 Liberty Jet No heat on Drivers side
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:29 am 
LOST Addict

Flushing the heater core has worked for some people. I would start there to rule it out before tearing into the dash to replace anything mechanical like a blend door.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:31 am 
LOST Newbie

If it were the heater core wouldn't it affect both sides though?

Gibson Cat back
ATH Shackle mounts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:17 pm 
LOST Addict

JEEPerscreepers wrote:

It depends where the blockage is (if that's the problem). A blockage could prevent coolant from flowing into your heater core at all (no heat) or seal off part of it (heat only on one side). If a bunch of crud comes out, it might solve the issue. If you don't have a heater core blockage, then it could be something like a blend door motor.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:44 am 
LOST Newbie

Hey JEEPerscreepers,
Welcome to the forum! I’m sorry to hear you’re having this concern. Have you brought this to the attention of your local FCA dealer and had them perform a diagnosis for you?
Regards,

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JEEPerscreepers wrote:

Lots of KA owners had this. If it were the blend door you would have = temp on both sides and all vents.
99.9% it is a partially blocked heater core. The drivers side of the core sits a bit lower then the passenger side, and is farthest from the inlet and outlet, so that is where the crud settles.
Isolate the heater core and flush it both directions several times. It only takes about 1 tablespoon of gunk to partially clog the core.

For a full system flush you are actually flushing 3 separate things, the engine, radiator, and heater core.
You will need to isolate both the radiator and heater core from the engine. These two should each be flushed while not connected to anything.
To isolate the heater core from the rest of the system, the easiest way is to disconnect both heater hoses, either at the fire wall or where they connect to the system under the hood. (You have to be careful not to crush the pipes if you disconnect at the firewall, as they are very thin.)
Be sure to flush both ways several times when flushing each system.

When you do a engine flush, again you need to isolate the heater core and the radiator to prevent the crud in the engine from settling in the cores.
If you disconnected the heater hoses where they connect to the system under the hood, to flush the heater, then you can put a section of hose between the two male fittings to make a loop. If you disconnected the hoses at the fire wall, then you can just couple those together to make a loop.
To properly flush the engine, the removal of the thermostat is needed.

The KK engines are designed to use HOAT antifreeze. Using any other type of antifreeze can cause premature failure of the internal parts of the engine/gaskets/seals. If you have a different antifreeze in it, get it all out of there! You can not blend them.

If you do not buy pre-mixed antifreeze, the water you use to mix your own is just as important as the type of antifreeze you use.
Most tap water contains additives and dissolved minerals in it. These additives and the minerals create deposits in the coolant over time and will cause problems. So if you buy antifreeze which needs to be diluted, be sure to use distilled water to dilute it.
A bottle of distilled water is a lot cheaper than new cores.

After the flush;
You will need to work the air out of the system.
To properly de-aerate the system after any major engine cooling system maintenance, you should fill the fluid in the reservoir to the full mark and put the cap back on. Start the rig and turn the heater on "High" heat (the heater fan has to be on, but at what level does not matter).

De-aeration does not occur at engine idle, higher engine speeds are required. Normal driving will de-aerate the cooling system.
After the rig reaches operating temp, shut it off and let stand till completely cold.(Leave the fluid cap on during cool-down!) Refill the reservoir again and repeat 3 more times.
If the system has air in it, the air could get trapped in the water pump, and you will get an overheating issue.

...End of Book... LOL

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:38 pm 
LOST Addict

JeepCares wrote:
Hey JEEPerscreepers,
Welcome to the forum! I’m sorry to hear you’re having this concern. Have you brought this to the attention of your local FCA dealer and had them perform a diagnosis for you?
Regards,

JeepCares, nice to have you here on LOST! Welcome to the forum and thanks for checking in with us. :)

And Scar0, your post deserves to be bookmarked! Nice detailed explanation. I'll add this thread to the KK how-to's index in the tech section.

The link to the KK How-To's Index is here: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=80240

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The KA Forum I am also a member of, has a 170 post sticky thread on just this subject. :banghead: The KK and KA use the same heater core.
We looked at several possible causes and it took quite a while till someone tried a core flush. Then all the lights came on! :BANANA: Someone later even cut apart a clogged core, and I tell you the ports in that thing are tiny... Those who have done the core flush only get a little bit of crud out (about 1 tablespoon) but that is all it takes.
I'd say about 90% of the time a heater core flush takes care of the issue. 9.9% of the time the gunk in the core is so stuck they end up having to replace it. The other .1% never got back to us.

Most of the problems are known by CJD, and is well documented, that the engine block casting sand was not completely removed after the cast.
Some of the issues were cause by owner error. Using tap water to supplement the antifreeze.
Then there were a few real boneheads who tried to use stop-leak to fix a leak. But they will never admit to it... LOL

ESP Off Switch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:17 am 
LOST Newbie

I'm having this very issue, took my 2010 Libby to the dealers they told me my heater housing is "warped" and it would be 1200 to fix.
This is on my to do list for tomorrow!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:51 am 
LOST Member

I just recovered my heat a couple weeks ago after a full 2 years. Flushed the heater core with just water both ways. Then I let some prestone rad cleaner soak in the core for an hour or so. Flushed with water again and I'm back in the no coat business.
I used:
2x 3' lengths of 3/4" vinyl tubing
3/4" garden hose to hose adapter
1 bottle of prestone radiator cleaner (only used 1/8) the bottle

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:52 am 
LOST Newbie

Thank you all for your replys! I will be trying the heater core flush within the next few days so fingers crossed it works!

Gibson Cat back
ATH Shackle mounts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:34 am 
LOST Newbie

Had the same issue and did a flush this weekend.

To minimize coolant loss I disconnected the hoses at the firewall and used a 5/8" hose coupler to join the two heater hoses while I worked.

Used some 5/8" heater hose I had to do the actual flush. Flushed in both directions with some water and heat is back on the driver side.

It's a pretty quick and easy process.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:58 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Great to see 2 success stories already!
And thanks for the details on what you used to do the flush.

ESP Off Switch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

I think I might actually have a blend door issue. I did a thorough flush in both directions and used some radiator cleaner. There is still no change. I get very little heat on the windshield and dash vents, but basically no heat on the floor and the vent to the left of the steering wheel. Guess this means my wife will be sweating and I'll be freezing.

Also after bringing it to temperature both hoses going into the core are hot to the touch.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ATH Shackle Mounts w/ Rugged Ridge D-rings
Mopar Hitch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

frankay213 wrote:
I think I might actually have a blend door issue. I did a thorough flush in both directions and used some radiator cleaner. There is still no change. I get very little heat on the windshield and dash vents, but basically no heat on the floor and the vent to the left of the steering wheel. Guess this means my wife will be sweating and I'll be freezing.

Also after bringing it to temperature both hoses going into the core are hot to the touch.

No heat, or no air flow? Measure the temp at the vents, floor, and defrost.
The blend door controls temp. The Mode door controls air flow direction (defrost, dash vents, and floor).

ESP Off Switch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:44 am 
LOST Newbie

Scar0 wrote:
frankay213 wrote:

No heat, or no air flow? Measure the temp at the vents, floor, and defrost.
The blend door controls temp. The Mode door controls air flow direction (defrost, dash vents, and floor).

No heat. Plenty of air flow. The heat coming out on the passenger side is more than 100°, but only about 80 or so on the drivers side.

Mopar Hitch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If it were a blend door issue you would have relatively = temp at all outlets.
If it were a mode door issue you would have no air flow direction changing. Ie. When you change the selection to vent, it would stay on floor.
Your symptoms are classic for a partial blockage.
With a partially clogged core both heater hoses will be hot because you still have flow in part of the core. It is possible your core is partially clogged and the gunk is just set too hard to get out.

ESP Off Switch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:41 am 
LOST Newbie

Scar0 wrote:
If it were a blend door issue you would have relatively = temp at all outlets.
If it were a mode door issue you would have no air flow direction changing. Ie. When you change the selection to vent, it would stay on floor.
Your symptoms are classic for a partial blockage.
With a partially clogged core both heater hoses will be hot because you still have flow in part of the core. It is possible your core is partially clogged and the gunk is just set too hard to get out.

Right after i did the flush, i had heat on the pass side. This morning, its 33° out and no heat anywheres :?

i looked under the dash and the motor for the blend door only moved once i started the car. As i switched back and forth from hot to cold, and back again, no movement. I'm going to go back out once the sun comes up a bit and see if it moves now since it has been sitting for about an hour.

UPDATE - so the door was still not moving. I shut the car down and removed the motor. Manually moved the door in the opposite direction and started the car. Viola - heat! (but still only on pass side :( ) Turned the car off, plugged the motor back in, but did not remount it. Turned the car on. And wouldnt you know, the motor moved when I switch back and forth between hot and cold. SO..
I left the car running with the heat on full blast and, with the motor still connected, remounted it in. Now i didnt switch back to cold/hot yet. I'll try again later on.

So everything seems to be work, except for whatever the heck was wrong today. Might call the dealer and have them look at my core. Or maybe i'll wait to see if maybe there is some air lodged in the system somewhere.

Mopar Hitch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:50 am 
LOST Newbie

Well on my way home from work it was 32 degrees so I decided enough was enough and I came home and flushed the heater core.....and viola! Hot hot heat! Thank you all for your responses and help! It is amazing how such a simple process can make such a HUGE difference. :D

Gibson Cat back
ATH Shackle mounts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:20 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

frankay213 wrote:

Right after i did the flush, i had heat on the pass side. This morning, its 33° out and no heat anywheres :?

i looked under the dash and the motor for the blend door only moved once i started the car. As i switched back and forth from hot to cold, and back again, no movement. I'm going to go back out once the sun comes up a bit and see if it moves now since it has been sitting for about an hour.

UPDATE - so the door was still not moving. I shut the car down and removed the motor. Manually moved the door in the opposite direction and started the car. Viola - heat! (but still only on pass side :( ) Turned the car off, plugged the motor back in, but did not remount it. Turned the car on. And wouldnt you know, the motor moved when I switch back and forth between hot and cold. SO..
I left the car running with the heat on full blast and, with the motor still connected, remounted it in. Now i didnt switch back to cold/hot yet. I'll try again later on.

So everything seems to be work, except for whatever the heck was wrong today. Might call the dealer and have them look at my core. Or maybe i'll wait to see if maybe there is some air lodged in the system somewhere.

Before you remounted the blend door actuator, you should switch the temp selector to "hot" if the door was in the hot position. If the blend door was in the cold position then the switch should be in the cold position before reinstalling the actuator. You may have to manually move the actuator gear to get it lined up.
The "stops" for the blend door actuator movement are computer controlled. And if the actual door and the actuator are not lined up correctly a dealer will have to calibrate them via the computers, or they will not work correctly. They may even break something if not installed right.

JEEPerscreepers wrote:
Well on my way home from work it was 32 degrees so I decided enough was enough and I came home and flushed the heater core.....and viola! Hot hot heat! Thank you all for your responses and help! It is amazing how such a simple process can make such a HUGE difference. :D

Good to hear you are back in business. Thanks for getting back to us! 8)

ESP Off Switch