It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ARB CKSA12 mounting location
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:39 am 
LOST Newbie

I picked up an air locker for the rear end of my 08 liberty and I'm wondering where would be a good under hood mounting location for the compressor. I can't find a good flat surface to mount to. Also I'm running basically all stock if that helps at all, including stock air box. Thanks.

Edit: sorry meant to say CKSA12

Last edited by Travis85904 on Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: ARB ckma12 mounting location
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:31 pm 
LOST Member

Travis85904 wrote:
I picked up an air locker for the rear end of my 08 liberty and I'm wondering where would be a good under hood mounting location for the compressor. I can't find a good flat surface to mount to. Also I'm running basically all stock if that helps at all, including stock air box. Thanks.

I fabricated a bracket that attaches to the firewall near the Brake booster...

06 Renegade, 265-70-16 Duratracs on Moab's/OMF, RL sliders ,roof rack, On board air, JBA-UCA, adjust-a strut, Rear-OME 948 two uppers ,Sensatrac shocks, Boiler rad. skid, Mopar/4x guard skid,Terra-flex 4:1,HD cooling,more lights, gauges. ARB/Warn, Mudds Rear Bumper.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

KJ/toy wrote:
Travis85904 wrote:

I fabricated a bracket that attaches to the firewall near the Brake booster...

Hmm. do you know of that application would work with an 08? I noticed in your sig you have an 06

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

How big is that compressor? Could it be mounted in the jack area or the rear cargo area?

08 KK OEM skid plates, JK winch bumper w/ Hella 500s, K&N filter, JKS front discos, black out headlights w/ fogs added, blacked out & euro mod tail lights, Curt Hitch w/ oem wiring, OME Springs, JBA UCA & top plates, Cabin Filter Retro Fit, Custom Fender Mounted Light Mounts w/ Hella 500s, ATH roof bars, rear flush mount LEDs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

toy4everyseason wrote:
How big is that compressor? Could it be mounted in the jack area or the rear cargo area?

It's approximately 6.5" x 3.5" and 5" tall. The only issue I could see with mounting in the rear is needing to drill a hole in the floor to run the air lines which I'm trying to avoid. I'm really hoping to mount it under the hood. And I also would like to be able to use it to air up tires occasionally.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:00 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Travis85904 wrote:
toy4everyseason wrote:

It's approximately 6.5" x 3.5" and 5" tall. The only issue I could see with mounting in the rear is needing to drill a hole in the floor to run the air lines which I'm trying to avoid. I'm really hoping to mount it under the hood. And I also would like to be able to use it to air up tires occasionally.

You could run a skinny line through the same gromet as the tail light otherwise there may be some space under the plastic cowl cover but it may be tight.

08 KK OEM skid plates, JK winch bumper w/ Hella 500s, K&N filter, JKS front discos, black out headlights w/ fogs added, blacked out & euro mod tail lights, Curt Hitch w/ oem wiring, OME Springs, JBA UCA & top plates, Cabin Filter Retro Fit, Custom Fender Mounted Light Mounts w/ Hella 500s, ATH roof bars, rear flush mount LEDs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:24 am 
LOST Newbie

toy4everyseason wrote:
Travis85904 wrote:
toy4everyseason wrote:

You could run a skinny line through the same gromet as the tail light otherwise there may be some space under the plastic cowl cover but it may be tight.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I looked last night. I'm gonna check today to make sure the wiring harness will reach all the way from the rear passenger side of the cargo area, to the drivers area where the switches will be mounted. (Prefer mounting on the passenger side in the cargo area because I sleep in the back sometimes and fold down the larger part of the back seat. Will report back

Post subject: Re: ARB CKSA12 mounting location
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:06 am 
LOST Newbie

So I finally got around to mounting the switches today after a long week of deciding where to put them. I still haven't figured out exactly where I'm putting the compressor yet so it is just sitting in the cargo area unmounted. Looks like it's going to have to go on the driver side though due to the wiring harness not being long enough to reach to the passenger side of the cargo area where I want to mount it. Unless of course I decide to splice into the wiring harness and extend it with some butt connectors and wire. Although I really don't want to do that. Here are a few pictures of the completed switch mount.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:39 pm 
LOST Member

Can't remember where I saw the liberty post, but somebody mounted their arb comp. under the back seat, drivers side (US=left).
They also emphasized routing a vent hose from comp. back to air to prevent diff fluid smell in cabin.

'19: Trans w/Suncoast/Transgo/HDdiscs, new OME CRD-rated lift, electric tri-fan setup, BlackMagics/Centric Premiums, Airbags.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

Gypsy62 wrote:
Can't remember where I saw the liberty post, but somebody mounted their arb comp. under the back seat, drivers side (US=left).
They also emphasized routing a vent hose from comp. back to air to prevent diff fluid smell in cabin.

What do you mean vent hose back to air? You mean they had it venting to the outside? Or back through the compressor? If you find this post please share the link.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:13 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I love your switch location, how hard is it to remove the instrument bezel? I have about 6 switches I'd like to relocate some day.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

toy4everyseason wrote:
I love your switch location, how hard is it to remove the instrument bezel? I have about 6 switches I'd like to relocate some day.

Not hard at all, there is a write up on here about removing the instrument cluster, that's what I used.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:05 pm 
LOST Member

Year-late response, sorry: by " vent to air" they meant route outside the passenger compartment. The thread may not have been on LJ; maybe googled "ARB installation"...

'19: Trans w/Suncoast/Transgo/HDdiscs, new OME CRD-rated lift, electric tri-fan setup, BlackMagics/Centric Premiums, Airbags.

Last edited by Gypsy62 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:32 am 
LOST Member

I just completed the ARB front/rear axle & pump/switches swap from my '05 gasser (sold) to my '05 CRD (I will be cold-and-dead but it will still be idling in the driveway, itching for adventure...).

I see no reason why this pump needs to be mounted in a "flat" location. Here's the pump mounting location I finally settled on. It's acceptable, but I wished I'd set it about 1/2" further back 'cuz there's only 1/2" of space behind the headlight. To ease access, remove the two bolts securing the PS cooling-line and move it out of the way during pump install (viewable @ last pics in post):

Note how it was necessary to use the 'ole beijing vibro-tool to hum a small (ugly) notch in the bottom of the battery tray:

The mounting-location of the switches was chosen by the PO of the donor-Gasser. At first I thought it would be a knee-banger but in actuality not a problem. Imo, a plus is that the constant-on f/r "ready" lights are not another nighttime dash-distraction:

The trim-panel hinges downward, secured by two upper clips. I just swapped the trims between gasser and CRD; getting those plasti-formed hinges to snap-out was NOT easy (wonder-bar duty), but at least they aren't brittle plastic:
UPDATE: Geordi schooled me; if you drop it and then slide it to the left, the trim panel easily pops out.

ZOOM-IN and you can observe which wire/circuit the ARB taps into; it's a big-boy, pink w/ yellow-stripe if I recall. Although there's a couple fatties in that loom, "the" one is the most accessible of them:

Marginally related, if you ever have the left-headlight, grill etc. removed, take the time to update the ground that has given others trouble.
The existing (undersized) mounting bolt may break (yup) or refuse to loosen (= grinder-duty). If so, it's faster to just drill a fresh ground location adjacent to the old hole. I found the space just to the right ideal (in the close-up, you can see the old bolt-stub just left of the fresh hole). The ARB pump will still fit behind the new ground location.
I swapped an abrasive-disc onto my grinder to clean both the unified cables' copper ground-plate as well as to remove the OEM paint and expose raw metal on the body-mount location. Everything gets Electro-Salsa to dress the wounds and help prevent rust on fresh metals:

I ran an additional wire from the new bolt directly to the battery-terminal ground; short and sweet. No such thing as too many grounds.