It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Diesel Conversion
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

I know they put a 3.0l diesel into the commander. Anyone know if it might be possible to fit one into the liberty? Was looking at something to replace the 3.7 with as it seems like there is not a lot of possibilities. Was thinking that the commander might be close enough to swap in. Any thoughts?

2012 LIBERTY SPORT BLACK FOREST GREEN. SOON TO BE THE ONLY 2012 RENEGADE

Post subject: Re: Diesel Conversion
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Check your local laws,most likely illegal plus you'd have to use a engine from a '12 or newer vehicle and retain all emission stuff(and pass emission test an inspection in most states).

With that being said your looking at 1 very expensive swap.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

Not worried about emissions testing as I live in Montana.

So what other engines could be swapped in? I am just kinda disappointed with the 3.7. And would like something with a little more power to it.

2012 LIBERTY SPORT BLACK FOREST GREEN. SOON TO BE THE ONLY 2012 RENEGADE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

Phsarge wrote:

So what other engines could be swapped in? I am just kinda disappointed with the 3.7. And would like something with a little more power to it.

I'm a little curious about this too. How hard would the wrangler's new pentastar v6 be to get in a Liberty? Expenses aside I've always assumed that to be one of the easier options. And that would be quite a bit more power!

2012 Bright white KK - Steelcraft black brushguard, painted black rims (didn't know it was so popular lol), 1" clevis lift in the front, RS Chip (woke her up!), magnaflow muffler + resonator delete and a few other small mods.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Phsarge wrote:

You want more power,re-gear it to 4.10's.That will cost you $2000,cheaper then trying to do a engine swap.

I was quoted $30,000-$35,000 for a HEMI swap in my KJ but 1st it must be SFA'd(another $26,000) before it can be done for oil pan clearance.That's $60,000 for a engine you can get cheap and they have all the computer stuff worked out already since the HEMI is a popular swap.

Use a non-popular engine for swaps(or non-Chrysler) and you'd easily double that cost,if not triple it.Remember also it's not just a simple swap like it was 30 year ago and by installing a more powerful engine(and/or non-mating engine) you will have to figure in the cost of a trans and t-case and depending you may have to upgrade both diffs to handle the power,not to mention the suspension will need to be heavily modified also and the current stuff out there may not be enough to support some of those heavy engines..Then you got legal issues to content with,maybe not right away but they will pop up and can bite you in the rear hard.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:41 am 
LOST Member

So what TJKJ2002 is saying.......it cant be done.

Sorry guys, he said it cant be done.

But on the other note. 4.56s and 32s were real fun. Burn the tires all day long. Even one day I pushed the locked front tires a good 50ft.

Now with 33.25" tires and 4.56 gears, well not so much fun. I need 4.88 gears now.

Having said that.....try gears first. You will be suprised

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:38 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

G.O.A.T. wrote:
So what TJKJ2002 is saying.......it cant be done.

Sorry guys, he said it cant be done.

But on the other note. 4.56s and 32s were real fun. Burn the tires all day long. Even one day I pushed the locked front tires a good 50ft.

Now with 33.25" tires and 4.56 gears, well not so much fun. I need 4.88 gears now.

Having said that.....try gears first. You will be suprised

It can be done,just not very easily as most think.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:47 am 
LOST Member

They installed a modified version of the 2.8 VM diesel motor in the export version of the KK auto or manual. Maybe its possible to salvage one for parts?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:22 am 
LOST Member

Why would anyone charge 26k for a solid axle swap? A brand new Dana 60 is under 2 grand. Fabbing control arms shouldnt cost 24k. I bet you could do a sas for under 4k, maybe a lot less if using a used axle up front. Where does the extreme costs come from? The engine swap would not be cheap or easy at all though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:10 pm 
LOST Member

MarkZ28 wrote:
Why would anyone charge 26k for a solid axle swap? A brand new Dana 60 is under 2 grand. Fabbing control arms shouldnt cost 24k. I bet you could do a sas for under 4k, maybe a lot less if using a used axle up front. Where does the extreme costs come from? The engine swap would not be cheap or easy at all though.

It couldn't be done for 4k, if you sourced used parts and did all the fab yourself maybe 6-8k. You dont need lockers or atlas or any of that extra crap.

I had everything ready for my rockwells and 54 tractor tires except for hydro steering and had about 5.5k in it. But since sold it off because I need a tow rig first lol and a KJ to put it all on.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:19 pm 
LOST Addict

G.O.A.T. wrote:
MarkZ28 wrote:

It couldn't be done for 4k, if you sourced used parts and did all the fab yourself maybe 6-8k. You dont need lockers or atlas or any of that extra crap.

I had everything ready for my rockwells and 54 tractor tires except for hydro steering and had about 5.5k in it. But since sold it off because I need a tow rig first lol and a KJ to put it all on.

12-18k for a SFA in a KK depending on the axles you upgrade to... not including R&D.... at least at Marlins. I'd hate to see Nathans bill since he payed for the designing of the cradle drops.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

MarkZ28 wrote:

Your not getting a "new" D60 for $2000,they start at about $8,000 and only go up from there(fronts,rears are slightly cheaper).Heck it's almost impossible to find a used front D60 for less the $2000.

The KK also has a lot of electronics to work around so you must use specific axles which are not cheap.

Your looking at $1500 or so for control arms,then you gotta mount them,change the steering(another $1000 after all is said and done).

You just don't know what is actually involved,it's not as simple as it used to be or as cheap.Using used parts is a huge gamble and 1 I'm glad I did not make since another SFA KJ I help build did and he past my cost by a lot since he had to upgrade to my stuff after he suck some $$$ into used junk.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

Along the same lines as a diesel conversion, what about a full JK drive train and computer swap? Aside from getting a star scan tool for computer setup, what would be other restrictions?

2012 Liberty Latitude 4x4
MOPAR Skids
ATH Front Recovery System, Roof Rack, Rock Rails, and Rear Bumper with Carrier
JBA 4" Lift
4.56 Yukon, Eaton-E Front Locker
255/75R17 Duratracs on Rubicon Wheels

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:21 pm 
LOST Member

Homeward_Bound wrote:
Along the same lines as a diesel conversion, what about a full JK drive train and computer swap? Aside from getting a star scan tool for computer setup, what would be other restrictions?

Assuming the Engine/Trans/Tcase would fit in the tunnel correctly, you'd at least need a custom driveshaft and engine/trans mounts to get it there, along with a hole in the floor for the tcase shifter since JK is manual. Computerwise you'd also probably need to swap in a JK ABS module and TIPM and custom build the harnesses. You'd also need a copy of CDA(the engineering diag tool), not just a starscan, to reprogram the modules the way you would need.

Numerous junkyard upgrades

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ajohns1288 wrote:
Homeward_Bound wrote:

Assuming the Engine/Trans/Tcase would fit in the tunnel correctly, you'd at least need a custom driveshaft and engine/trans mounts to get it there, along with a hole in the floor for the tcase shifter since JK is manual. Computerwise you'd also probably need to swap in a JK ABS module and TIPM and custom build the harnesses. You'd also need a copy of CDA(the engineering diag tool), not just a starscan, to reprogram the modules the way you would need.

Not to mention access to Chryslers programs on there website.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:50 am 
LOST Newbie

Couple things I would like to add. First off - check out COTY built, they have TDI diesel conversions for TJ's, XJ's and YJ's and in a couple months will have a TDI swap for the JK with the NSG370 transmission. It will be a bolt on swap and all of the electronics will work with the transplanted TDI out of a 09-14 Jetta. With that said, in 08 the KK came with a NSG370 6 speed, (I have one) and was curious so I called the guys up over there and chatted it up with them and they believe their swap might work really well with the KK given fabricating some engine mounts, other than that it might be pretty easy swap given the KK and JK share the same computer system. Might be an option to TDI the KK. The TDI engines are readily available and are cheap. Their Kit for the KK minus engine is going to be ~ $5500.00, engines are going for $1000.00 to $1500.00 usually. You can tune the crap out of these engines and make them pull some serious weight, not to mention the fuel economy of 30+ mpg's on a JK :shock: :shock: :shock: As far as emissions and being legal and all that stuff :roll: I've got the solution. Drive up to South Dakota and get it registered there. As far as I know they have no emissions guidelines there. I was in Mexico last year and noticed everybody down there was driving around with South Dakota plates. and I mean tons and tons of vehicles. That got me wondering wtf??? so I did some research and apparently anybody with anything that has 4 wheels can get a South Dakota plate with simply just a drivers licence or valid form of ID and VIN #. That is it. So I guess if you don't mind driving around with South Dakota plates, then you can make your TDI KK or JK street legal. I don't know. Whatever :P As far as the KK SFA swap that was brought up, I'm not going to get into it, doing one myself, and the crazy $26,000 price tag to do one is ludicrous. Get a JK front axle, weld up some long arms, be done with it. shouldn't cost you a crazy 2nd mortgage type of money to do it to get it off the ground at least. Certainly will not cost me more than 4K to do mine with a Rubicon Dana 44 out of a JK. Now I know this all depends on many things, and whether or not your doing it yourself or having somebody else do it, and what kind of axles and bla bla bla bla bla your using and doing what with, but certainly you can get this done with quality parts and have a capable rig under 4k in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

colomtnbkr21 wrote:
Couple things I would like to add. First off - check out COTY built, they have TDI diesel conversions for TJ's, XJ's and YJ's and in a couple months will have a TDI swap for the JK with the NSG370 transmission. It will be a bolt on swap and all of the electronics will work with the transplanted TDI out of a 09-14 Jetta. With that said, in 08 the KK came with a NSG370 6 speed, (I have one) and was curious so I called the guys up over there and chatted it up with them and they believe their swap might work really well with the KK given fabricating some engine mounts, other than that it might be pretty easy swap given the KK and JK share the same computer system. Might be an option to TDI the KK. The TDI engines are readily available and are cheap. Their Kit for the KK minus engine is going to be ~ $5500.00, engines are going for $1000.00 to $1500.00 usually. You can tune the crap out of these engines and make them pull some serious weight, not to mention the fuel economy of 30+ mpg's on a JK :shock: :shock: :shock: As far as emissions and being legal and all that stuff :roll: I've got the solution. Drive up to South Dakota and get it registered there. As far as I know they have no emissions guidelines there. I was in Mexico last year and noticed everybody down there was driving around with South Dakota plates. and I mean tons and tons of vehicles. That got me wondering wtf??? so I did some research and apparently anybody with anything that has 4 wheels can get a South Dakota plate with simply just a drivers licence or valid form of ID and VIN #. That is it. So I guess if you don't mind driving around with South Dakota plates, then you can make your TDI KK or JK street legal. I don't know. Whatever :P As far as the KK SFA swap that was brought up, I'm not going to get into it, doing one myself, and the crazy $26,000 price tag to do one is ludicrous. Get a JK front axle, weld up some long arms, be done with it. shouldn't cost you a crazy 2nd mortgage type of money to do it to get it off the ground at least. Certainly will not cost me more than 4K to do mine with a Rubicon Dana 44 out of a JK. Now I know this all depends on many things, and whether or not your doing it yourself or having somebody else do it, and what kind of axles and bla bla bla bla bla your using and doing what with, but certainly you can get this done with quality parts and have a capable rig under 4k in my opinion.

Your forgetting you need a physical address(no PO box) and be a SD resident to get plates,that means a SD drivers license.

Plus why on earth would anyone want to use a VW engine? They have terrible track record and can't pass emissions(none can to include those not covered by that recall).

Oh and your never going to do a SFA on a KK for $4000.It's not as simple as bolting a JK front diff in,you'll find that out.Many have and scrapped the whole idea,not just on a KK but KJ's also.My SFA build cost $26k in parts(no labor) but I did more then slap a solid front axle under it and I did not use any used parts besides the HP44 housing(and only housing).

The material alone for the arms and steering will run you $500 at least unless you skimp and use thin material.Then you got the builder parts,mounts,steering box,front driveshaft,rear driveshaft,and unless you want a dash full of lights on all the time your going to have to interface the ABS and ESP system to work.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:37 am 
LOST Newbie

Perhaps tjkj2002...... In my case however I have a new set of 35's, JK steering box I can get for $200, I already have a Dana 44 JK Mil spec J8 axle with KK hubs on it to eliminate the dash lights, everything else from the KK will swap over on it. Heims and DOM from Ruffstuff will be like $1000.00 if not way less, have not priced it out yet. Coilovers for the front less than $1000.00, JK 6 inch rear springs plus some shocks $400.00. right there you got all the major stuff and thats ~ $2600.00, add a few more things like prop shafts and some stuff here and there and you will be getting close to 4K. Not saying that I will go over, but I think I can at least get it driving for that much.

TDI engines are amazingly good engines, I have a Jetta TDI that has 165k on it with zero problems, know of or have known many people with these engines with zero issues, many tunes out there for them which can make them beasts. And a perfect setup in a JK. Talk to COTY and they will give you the scoop.

It is actually that easy to get SD plates. Show them your ID and VIN along with Title and you will get plates. Trust me. There are thousands of people in Mexico that will attest to that. You fill out a form and $38 dollars later you got plates. SD has NO smog test, proof of insurance, or inspections to get plates, and you do not need a SD licence to get plates. Ask the thousands of people driving around in Mexico with SD plates.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

colomtnbkr21 wrote:
Perhaps tjkj2002...... In my case however I have a new set of 35's, JK steering box I can get for $200, I already have a Dana 44 JK Mil spec J8 axle with KK hubs on it to eliminate the dash lights, everything else from the KK will swap over on it. Heims and DOM from Ruffstuff will be like $1000.00 if not way less, have not priced it out yet. Coilovers for the front less than $1000.00, JK 6 inch rear springs plus some shocks $400.00. right there you got all the major stuff and thats ~ $2600.00, add a few more things like prop shafts and some stuff here and there and you will be getting close to 4K. Not saying that I will go over, but I think I can at least get it driving for that much.

TDI engines are amazingly good engines, I have a Jetta TDI that has 165k on it with zero problems, know of or have known many people with these engines with zero issues, many tunes out there for them which can make them beasts. And a perfect setup in a JK. Talk to COTY and they will give you the scoop.

It is actually that easy to get SD plates. Show them your ID and VIN along with Title and you will get plates. Trust me. There are thousands of people in Mexico that will attest to that. You fill out a form and $38 dollars later you got plates. SD has NO smog test, proof of insurance, or inspections to get plates, and you do not need a SD licence to get plates. Ask the thousands of people driving around in Mexico with SD plates.

You still got the ESP to deal with and trust me you will not like running 4.56's(or the ultra weak 4.88 gear set for the 8.25) and 35" tires in Colorado.5.13's are barely liveable,5.38's would be better.So then your looking at a rear diff.

You will find out it's not as easy or cheap.

And again I know what's needed for SD plates(lived there for 20 years),you must have a SD address and not a PO box.To get a SD address well you gotta change your residency after 90 days to SD which means a SD drivers license.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yeah. I know its not gonna be cheap, but mind you I'm not doing a build like yours, my goal is to get it off the ground, and I've done my research and know exactly what needs to be done. Its not rocket science to tear Jeeps apart and build them. They are inherently very simplistic machines and are designed to be torn apart and built. Unfortunately the KK is the last of the solid axle off brand of the Jeep lineup we will ever see (JK aside) mind you the IFS up front, therefore I hope I can be the first to start a modest/affordable way to SFA these things. Its been done cheaply on KJ's, no need to spend tons of money to do it on a KK. The way you built your KJ is pretty awesome and nobody will disagree with that. You've got a stellar rig, but if I were to spend $26,000 on a rig, could you imagine what kind of JK you can build with that kind of money, buying a used JK to start with. It would be epic. When it comes to the 8.25, its not a bad axle, I pound the living daylights out of it on my XJ with 35's and it has never let me down. Lots of XJ guys will agree. You and I both know you cant drive to home depot without seeing a few xj's on 35's, and at lest a few thousand JK's on 35's or even more common these days 37's with the stock junk D30 and 44's and they do just fine (99% on stock gears). I wheel all the time with stock JK's on 35's and 37's and never had any failures. Not crazy wheeling but crazy enough that a u joint or shaft should go by now. My KK is a 6 speed also, 4:10's are good enough in my case.

BTW: you may already know, but Marlin over at JBA is in the process of creating a long travel setup for the KK that will accommodate 37's. He's supposedly gonna use an F9 diff, RCV shafts, and ORI struts. I would scrap the KK SFA swap in a heartbeat if this was gonna be affordable, however its probably not going to be if any of his other lifts have anything to say bout it. What he has in mind is gonna be epic and a game changer for the KK. I'm going to assume this kit will be in the $5-8K range. The price of a used KK these days.