It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How long did your KK's OEM water pump last?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:54 am 
LOST Newbie

Did it get fixed after the flush??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:49 pm 
LOST Junkie

145K on my 08 kk was when mine went. But I believe mine was caused by a leaking radiator and a clogged heater core. I think it was running with to little coolant for a while causing the bearings in the pump to give up the ghost

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ihapy2bnapy wrote:
Did it get fixed after the flush??

Haven't flushed yet just been dealing with it

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ATH Shackle Mounts w/ Rugged Ridge D-rings
Mopar Hitch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:57 pm 
LOST Member

Interesting, My 05 had the engine check light go on last month. I plugged in my reader and said it was coolant. Coolant level has been slowly receeding so I added a little Distilled water. Light went off for a couple of weeks and now on again. I added another cup of distilled water this week. I do smell some coolant smell so wonder if it is in the Heater Core because leak is not evident.

What would a mechanic do? Should I flush again? Just flushed last Spring. Is there somewhere I should look to verify it is the Heater Core? If Core needs replacing, can it be done from the inside with my hand wrenches without making a mess in the interior?

I replaced my water pump two years ago. What would you all do?

2005 Sport, Light Khaki, manual trans 6 speed, front spacer lift, tinted glass, tow hooks, ProComp black rock crawler rims, Toyo AT tires, K+ N filter charger, Magnaflow muffler, Bilstein shocks, Daystar sway bar bushings, skid plates, trailer hitch, fogs, 50 watt back up bulbs, Sylvania plus headlights, Thule rack and SiriusX Satellite radio.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

60.000 miles each, changed twice already, all together with radiator cap and thermostat. I'm kinda preventive mechanic freak...

Actually is at 127700 miles.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:27 am 
LOST Newbie

289 000 km (179,000 miles) -just changed mine out on the weekend with new serpentine belt. Coolant had been changed out a couple times before.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

1-42k
2-90k

Moabs
Full MOPAR skids

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:25 pm 
LOST Member

80,000 for me

2011 KK Sport, Blacked out. JBA 4" Silver, Tire Carrier. 265/75/16 Duratracs. 16x7:4 AR172 Bajas. 4.56 Gears. RRO Super Sliders, Side Rails. Mopar Skids, Hooks. Curt Receiver. SC Brush Guards. RR Mats. Yakima/Bison Rack.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Does anyone have a link on amazon.com or even the part number for the water pump? You guys are all scaring me with such low miles cause I'm at 77k and nothing with it yet.

Also when you do a flush how do you guys do it? Kind of silly never had to do a coolant flush on any of my vehicles yet.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JeepMonkey190 wrote:
Does anyone have a link on amazon.com or even the part number for the water pump? You guys are all scaring me with such low miles cause I'm at 77k and nothing with it yet.

Also when you do a flush how do you guys do it? Kind of silly never had to do a coolant flush on any of my vehicles yet.

Your over due.

They say 5 years or 150k but that just causes issues,big expensive issues i you go beyond.

3 years or 75k is more accurate time line/mileage which ever comes 1st for flushing the coolant.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
JeepMonkey190 wrote:

Your over due.

They say 5 years or 150k but that just causes issues,big expensive issues i you go beyond.

3 years or 75k is more accurate time line/mileage which ever comes 1st for flushing the coolant.

Should I replace the water pump or just change the coolant for now? If I change the pump now is it an easy swap?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JeepMonkey190 wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
JeepMonkey190 wrote:

Your over due.

Should I replace the water pump or just change the coolant for now? If I change the pump now is it an easy swap?

Just have the coolant flushed.

The WP can last 200k or 15k,replace when it goes.It does help if you look at the waterpump area everyonce in awhile.

It's far harder to change the WP in a KK then a KJ(or any other vehicle with the 3.7) due to the coolant tank/washer bottle combo that sucks removing to gain better access to the pump.Of course if you HD cooling(mechanical fan) posses another challenge.I can change a WP in a KJ is less then 15mins with HD cooling,add 5mins extra for HD cooling.Takes me 60mins to do a KK's waterpump,add 10mins for HD cooling.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Your over due.

3 years or 75k is more accurate time line/mileage which ever comes 1st for flushing the coolant.[/quote]

Should I replace the water pump or just change the coolant for now? If I change the pump now is it an easy swap?[/quote]

The WP can last 200k or 15k,replace when it goes.It does help if you look at the waterpump area everyonce in awhile.

It's far harder to change the WP in a KK then a KJ(or any other vehicle with the 3.7) due to the coolant tank/washer bottle combo that sucks removing to gain better access to the pump.Of course if you HD cooling(mechanical fan) posses another challenge.I can change a WP in a KJ is less then 15mins with HD cooling,add 5mins extra for HD cooling.Takes me 60mins to do a KK's waterpump,add 10mins for HD cooling.[/quote]

Thanks thats good to know... I am assuming you know your water pump is done when water temp starts to rise or is making noise?

How do you "flush" the coolant? like the procedure on how too

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It's far harder to change the WP in a KK then a KJ(or any other vehicle with the 3.7) due to the coolant tank/washer bottle combo that sucks removing to gain better access to the pump.Of course if you HD cooling(mechanical fan) posses another challenge.I can change a WP in a KJ is less then 15mins with HD cooling,add 5mins extra for HD cooling.Takes me 60mins to do a KK's waterpump,add 10mins for HD cooling.[/quote]

Thanks thats good to know... I am assuming you know your water pump is done when water temp starts to rise or is making noise?

How do you "flush" the coolant? like the procedure on how too[/quote]

Is the prestone 50/50 mix good stuff or should I pay a little more??? Also do I need to do the radiator flush+cleaner also??

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JeepMonkey190 wrote:
J

Is the prestone 50/50 mix good stuff or should I pay a little more??? Also do I need to do the radiator flush+cleaner also??

Prestone does not make any coolant that is correct for your KK.

Zerex GO5
MOPAR HOAT
Ford's Premium Gold coolant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
JeepMonkey190 wrote:
J

Zerex GO5
MOPAR HOAT

what do you go with? I was thinking Mopar at first. Also i should only put distilled water in correct??? and should I do a straight distilled water for a short time then put in the new?

Sorry for all these pretty newb questions.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:44 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JeepMonkey190 wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
JeepMonkey190 wrote:
J

Zerex GO5
MOPAR HOAT

what do you go with? I was thinking Mopar at first. Also i should only put distilled water in correct??? and should I do a straight distilled water for a short time then put in the new?

Sorry for all these pretty newb questions.
I use Zerex GO5,get it at Napa and can get in pre-mixed or full strength.

And yes if you get the full strength only mix 50/50 with distilled water.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:44 am 
LOST Addict

My KK's original factory water pump went at 5 miles. You read that correctly. Then it needed to be replaced again at 72,000 miles.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:17 am 
LOST Junkie

Even for the KK it's not to bad. 3 screws takes the reservoirs off. the plastic pump for the washer bottle comes off fairly easy just be sure to use all your washer bottle fluid because it will flow out.

remove reservoir bottles
remove fan shroud (3 8mm bolts: two on top one on bottom holding the trans cooler hoses)
then you'll have tons of room for activities! I think it's 7 bolts just remember the order and a 50$ part from the local parts store.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

Mine went at 135k. I bought it used though, at 93k miles so it's possible it was on its second one, I'm not sure.