It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Binding in 2WD
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

We have a 2008 with standard manual shift transfer case, 80,000 miles lifetime drivetrain warranty. Spouse drives it. I do rarely, basically in and out of the garage to swap winter/summer tires. I noticed what seems like partial binding when pulling back into the garage the other day (its been in 2WD all summer). Enough so that the traction control kicked in, I'm guessing as one wheel slid on wet leaves.. but not enough for something like a crow hop.

I switched back and forth between 4WD and 2WD, the indicator light flashed while the motor shifted and extinguished as I'd expect if the shift linkage moves and the position switch gets set.

I'm thinking something is binding in the transfer case, but perhaps normal for this case? I haven't checked the level yet, but its dry and the dealer checked it a few months ago..

Post subject: Re: Binding in 2WD
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:32 pm 
LOST Member

Yositime wrote:
We have a 2008 with standard manual shift transfer case, 80,000 miles lifetime drivetrain warranty. Spouse drives it. I do rarely, basically in and out of the garage to swap winter/summer tires. I noticed what seems like partial binding when pulling back into the garage the other day (its been in 2WD all summer). Enough so that the traction control kicked in, I'm guessing as one wheel slid on wet leaves.. but not enough for something like a crow hop.

I switched back and forth between 4WD and 2WD, the indicator light flashed while the motor shifted and extinguished as I'd expect if the shift linkage moves and the position switch gets set.

I'm thinking something is binding in the transfer case, but perhaps normal for this case? I haven't checked the level yet, but its dry and the dealer checked it a few months ago..

I'm a little confused here... You say you have an 08 with a manual transfer case and your signature says 09KK but ALL 08 and up Liberty's have an electronic transfer case. Can you clarify?

Are you turning into your garage or pulling straight in? If you have the wheels cranked, you could get some scrubbing, but that's just the nature of a RWD vehicle

'08, OME HD/MD coils, Ironman shocks, Al's A-arms, Top plates, ATH front recovery, V-Tec Offroad wheels 17x8.5, Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac's 265/65R17, Jasper Offroad 12" Dual LED lightbar, Mopar hitch and harness, RRO roof rails and cross bars, Viper throttle body, K&N FIPK, Hypertech Max Energy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

When I said manual, I meant the type that has a manual switch that selects the mode... which eventually runs an electric motor to shift the t-case. Its not the auto mode optional t-case.

Its always seem to have a bit of "scrubbing", but this (on a maybe 75% sharp slow speed turn) activated the traction control (ABS type noise).... which surprised me.

I'll have to look into it a little further when I get a chance, its too nebulous and open ended question, sorry :) .

Oh... it is a 2009 :oops:

By the way, the mode sensor is integral with the motor, so if, for example, the shift fork is broken, the motor will spin until the sensor indicates the selected mode and it stops. The switch indicates the new position but the case did not mechanically shift.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:28 pm 
LOST Member

Yositime wrote:
When I said manual, I meant the type that has a manual switch that selects the mode... which eventually runs an electric motor to shift the t-case. Its not the auto mode optional t-case.

Its always seem to have a bit of "scrubbing", but this (on a maybe 75% sharp slow speed turn) activated the traction control (ABS type noise).... which surprised me.

I'll have to look into it a little further when I get a chance, its too nebulous and open ended question, sorry :) .

Oh... it is a 2009 :oops:

By the way, the mode sensor is integral with the motor, so if, for example, the shift fork is broken, the motor will spin until the sensor indicates the selected mode and it stops. The switch indicates the new position but the case did not mechanically shift.

Are you lifted? A lot of lifted libbys have the TC go off when cornering (mine does it all the time) because of the changes in suspension geometry.

If you wanna see if the transfer case is stuck in 4WD go find some loose soil or gravel and give it some gas to see if the front wheels were spinning too.

'08, OME HD/MD coils, Ironman shocks, Al's A-arms, Top plates, ATH front recovery, V-Tec Offroad wheels 17x8.5, Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac's 265/65R17, Jasper Offroad 12" Dual LED lightbar, Mopar hitch and harness, RRO roof rails and cross bars, Viper throttle body, K&N FIPK, Hypertech Max Energy