It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rear bumpstops question
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

There a issue that's been bothering me.
A while ago installed an OME lift, plus some extras, according the econno lift spec that tommudd has on JBA.
The mechanic that installed it for me tried to place the bumpstop on the bottom, but there was an existing hole on the spring mount and the screw that came with the bumpstop was to small for it.
I didn't install the bumpstop eventually.

As i understood there shouldn't be an existing hole there, you should drill it yourself.

Post subject: Re: Rear bumpstops question
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:42 pm 
LOST Addict

I wonder if your KK was previously lifted, and the previous owner took the lift off and sold it before selling the Jeep. You could use thicker stainless bolts, washers, and lock nuts in place of the ones from the kit that are too small. You'll also have to cut down the JBA bump stops because full length is too long. (Or use 2 hockey pucks per side.) No bump stops is probably not good if you do use your Jeep off road because shocks can be over-compressed if the axle articulates too much. It could blow out your shocks early. Hope this helps. I'm sure Tom will chime in too.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:00 pm 
LOST Addict

Correct, there shouldn't be a hole on the lower spring perch unless it was lifted before and someone drilled it already. A lot of people use hockey pucks with carriage bolts. JBA bumpstops will need to be cut down unless you use 4" lift springs.

That said, I haven't installed rear bumpstops and I've had my lift installed for over 40k miles. 3.5" in front, 2.5" in back to level it out and 2.5" lift shocks. I wheel mine pretty hard and have yet to blow a shock, BUT I have a spare set of shocks incase I do blow one.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:47 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Need rear bumpstops if you're going off road any at all.
Expensive lesson here,....I had them installed removed to install different rear springs but had not checked yet as to how much I needed to run
When down home and not thinking out through the fields
Came home with one blown shock , ................. :furious:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:11 am 
LOST Newbie

I'm pretty sure it wasn't lifted before.
There was no evidence of that besides those holes.

I know I need bumpstops if I use extended shocks, but the idiot that installed my lift ordered a pair of Fox shocks that are exactly the same length of the stocks shocks.
So he actually shortened my articulation.
I'm about to order the bilstein 4" shocks and I was wondering how I'll be able to screw those bumpstops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk