It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Liberty Jet winter wheel sizes?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello! I have been told by a local tire dealer that I can ONLY use 20" wheels on my 2011 Jeep Liberty Jet. I find this hard to believe, but have struck out finding any sort of documentation to support any answer. Can I run 16" wheels on my Jet?
Thank you so much!
Rod

Post subject: Re: Liberty Jet winter wheel sizes?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:01 pm 
LOST Addict

Yes. All KKs can run a 16" wheel. Try to stick close to factory specs unless you're lifted.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:14 pm 
LOST Addict

As Bmxer noted, 16's will work fine. KK's came with 16's, 17's, 18's and 20" wheels. The trick to making them work is that the outer tire diameter has to be about 29" to stay in the OEM range (and keep your speedometer & odometer reading accurately). Also, 7" wide rims with 4" back spacing is stock equivalent.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:42 pm 
LOST Addict

lfhoward wrote:
As Bmxer noted, 16's will work fine. KK's came with 16's, 17's, 18's and 20" wheels. The trick to making them work is that the outer tire diameter has to be about 29" to stay in the OEM range (and keep your speedometer & odometer reading accurately). Also, 7" wide rims with 4" back spacing is stock equivalent.

That's good if you're lifted. Stock is 7" wide and 5 or 5.5" of backspacing (I want to say 5.5"). I forget which. One of those is for the MOABs.

Did some checking last night, stock 16s on a KK are 16x7 with 5.5" of backspacing (knew my gut was right). Try to stick close to that unless you're lifted.

The TJ Moabs are 16x8 with 5" of backspacing. You can run these if you're lifted. I was just mentioning it because of the other numbers I posted earlier.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:52 am 
LOST Addict

Thanks for catching the error, Bmx! :oops:

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thank you so much for the excellent help guys!!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:12 pm 
LOST Addict

lfhoward wrote:
Thanks for catching the error, Bmx! :oops:

It happens to everyone. Hell, even I had to go look up stock wheel specs. I forgot which was KK and which was TJ Moab lol.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:43 am 
LOST Newbie

Jet models had larger brake rotors than other KK's. 17s are fine but 16s won't fit.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:53 am 
LOST Addict

Bob Peru wrote:
Jet models had larger brake rotors than other KK's. 17s are fine but 16s won't fit.

Where did you hear that? Because that's incorrect. All gas KKs have the same size brakes and rotors. The only difference is front vs rear. And 16s will fit both.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:30 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi Bmxer
I didn't "hear" about it, I went through it 12 months ago fitting wheels to my 2012 jet model.
Only point of contention is I am in Australia so I own a Cherokee not a Libby. So perhaps it's an international thing.
So were you able to fit 16's to your Jet? Would be interested to know what wheels if so?
Cheers
Bob

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:36 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Bob Peru wrote:
Hi Bmxer
I didn't "hear" about it, I went through it 12 months ago fitting wheels to my 2012 jet model.
Only point of contention is I am in Australia so I own a Cherokee not a Libby. So perhaps it's an international thing.
So were you able to fit 16's to your Jet? Would be interested to know what wheels if so?
Cheers
Bob

That's very interesting. In the KA(which shares a lot of parts with the KK), the only rigs with 332 mm rotors Ive heard about were in Europe (Sweden & Germany). Most US and Euro versions run 302 mm rotors.

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:03 pm 
LOST Addict

Are you diesel? That's the only thing I can think of. As Scar0 said, all North American KKs and KAs have the same size brakes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Bmxer524 wrote:
Are you diesel? That's the only thing I can think of. As Scar0 said, all North American KKs and KAs have the same size brakes.

The KA 2.8 CRDs (England, France, Italy) also run the 302 mm rotors. The ones with the 332 were the 4.0 R/T model KAs. Even the Australia KA I know of, have the 302.
That is why I find it interesting that a KK would have the larger rotors.
I'm not disputing it, It is just not common...
Maybe it was imported from a country with a high speed autobahn?

ESP Off Switch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi
Not guys, not a diesel.
There has been the odd thread on wheel size specific to "jet" model kk's on the ausjeepoffroad forum too, so there are multiple instances of people wrestling with trying to unsuccessfully fit 16s to their jets down here.
Interestingly I understand that the very last of the kk sport production we received down here came standard with 17s so perhaps jeep had some larger rotors or calipers they needed to get rid of before the kk model ended. Perhaps they did that through the international market only?
Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:45 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

On the KA forum I am a member of, the 2 I mentioned above were early year productions. But you never know what year end production oddities you will find. IE there was a "SLT" model KA with a 4.0 in it. Typically a "SLT" would have a 3.7. I also saw an SLT with an R/T exterior package...
Anyway,
Worse case you could always swap in smaller rotors, calipers, and brake pads. Only possible issues would be if the front half shaft is not the same, and/or if the rear drum-in-hat hand brake pads are also larger.
Guess it depends on just how bad you want to run 16's...
But it may save $ down the road to swap them out(when needed) instead of trying to find the larger rotors.

ESP Off Switch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:39 am 
LOST Addict

Scar0 wrote:
On the KA forum I am a member of, the 2 I mentioned above were early year productions. But you never know what year end production oddities you will find. IE there was a "SLT" model KA with a 4.0 in it. Typically a "SLT" would have a 3.7. I also saw an SLT with an R/T exterior package...
Anyway,
Worse case you could always swap in smaller rotors, calipers, and brake pads. Only possible issues would be if the front half shaft is not the same, and/or if the rear drum-in-hat hand brake pads are also larger.
Guess it depends on just how bad you want to run 16's...
But it may save $ down the road to swap them out(when needed) instead of trying to find the larger rotors.

Bob Peru wrote:
Hi
Not guys, not a diesel.
There has been the odd thread on wheel size specific to "jet" model kk's on the ausjeepoffroad forum too, so there are multiple instances of people wrestling with trying to unsuccessfully fit 16s to their jets down here.
Interestingly I understand that the very last of the kk sport production we received down here came standard with 17s so perhaps jeep had some larger rotors or calipers they needed to get rid of before the kk model ended. Perhaps they did that through the international market only?
Cheers

Could be possible. Corporate parts bins basically. Hell my brand new 11 has 08 KK headlights.... Or at least that's what the part number says lol