It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Blend door actuator or blend door?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey Guys,

So I have a question. My brother and I have had an 08 KK for a few years now. Just last week my brother was driving it down the road with the heat on because Ohio has been getting pretty darn cold, and he heard a loud "snap" and suddenly we now have no control of the direction of airflow, it only comes out on our faces. Anyways, I'm not sure which issue it would be, but I want to try my hand at replacing it. Would anyone here have any advice for us?

Thanks
Snf1694

Post subject: Re: Blend door actuator or blend door?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:14 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Neither.
The blend door is hot-cold, Mode door is airflow direction.
On the drivers side there are two actuators, the mode actuator is up high and toward the fire wall. The blend door actuator is lower and forward of the mode door actuator.
When you change the air flow direction you should see the Mode door cam rotate. There should be a white plastic arm attached to the cam that also moves. If it does not it may be disconnected/broken. The white arm just snaps onto the cam.(Make sure the arm is not really cold or it may break!)
But the big question is "Why did it pop off in the first place?"
You may need to remove the actuator and move the doors by hand to see if one is sticking. However!, Be sure to mark the locations of everything!!!
It has to be put back in place exactly as it came off or you will need to go to a dealer to have the doors calibrated.

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

Post subject: Re: Blend door actuator or blend door?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:40 pm 
LOST Member

Since you heard a snap, that's not a good sign. Best case the linkage popped apart, worst case the gears on the linkage sheared. I've had both happen.

Keep in mind if you fix the linkage, the issue that caused it to pop is still there. The seal on the door gums up and turns to tar that sticks the door in one position. You are probably going to have to replace the HVAC upper housing eventually which requires pulling the dash out. It's doable on a weekend, especially if you take out all the trim and center console beforehand. Also air tools help a lot!

Numerous junkyard upgrades