It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Led headlights
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

I replaced my halogens with led headlights on my 2011 KK. It is the newer generation and they do provide better lightning. But one problem. They flicker when daylight run lights are on. I am in Canada and it is required by law. I will play it safe and want to keep it that way. I understand that DRL is achieved by reducing the voltage and this is what is causing the flicker. I have tried a few Canbus with the condensers and it is improving but not resolving the problem. So I will most likely be putting in relays and feed the DC directly from the battery to the headlights but that will be tricky. I will need the relay to activate at 12 volt for the high beam but find a way that the 6-8 volt going to the high beam will turn on the low beam this is turning out to be more complex than I first imagined.

I need to understand the different voltages on the H13 connectors going to the existing headlight. There must be something off the shelf available??

Post subject: Re: Led headlights
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:49 pm 
LOST Member

The issue is that the voltage isn't 6v, but 12v that's switched off half of the time. The switching on and off is what gives the flicker. The only way to eliminate it would be to put a capacitor in parallel with the lamp and diodes to prevent backflow. The capacitor value would need to be tailored to your Jeep. The one you said helped was probably too small of a capacitance.

The other alternative is to use the parking lights as the DRLs, if allowed. There is a setting that can be changed to enable that, however you'll need a dealer programming tool.

Numerous junkyard upgrades

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks ajohns1288,

That explains many things! From the tests I made the DRL are sending "swithed" 12V to both the high and low beam to reduce the intensity? Am I getting this right? so I would need to put a capacitor on both the high and low, left and right (4 capacitors in total)? If I had the type of capicitor and the Farad required I could manage to do this.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:21 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Just get rid of the LEDs you'll be much better off in the long run

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

I am tempted to trash the leds and go back to the Halogens! However at night they do work very well., provide excellent lightning (they are not the bluish ones) and they are not agressive for other drivers. My only problem is the way the jeep provides the reduced power to the lights for the daylights.

There is one quick fix: I put a tape on my light sensor on the dash and always have my lights in auto. This will keep my night lights on all the time

BTW here are the Leds I installed
http://www.bpsperformance.com/led-kit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

The Jeep has special electrical in it. Here is a set and its designed just for Jeep Dodge ,ect.

http://www.vleds.com/dodge-lmz.html

Top To Bottom
BFGoodrich T/A KO2 245/70 16

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

The Jeep has special electrical in it. Here is a set and its designed just for Jeep Dodge ,ect.

http://www.vleds.com/dodge-lmz.html

Top To Bottom
BFGoodrich T/A KO2 245/70 16

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:40 am 
LOST Newbie

I was going to get the Vleds. However if you read the spec to the end:
for use in low voltage high/low beam DRL applications.

So having the DRL (Canadian model) I am not sure how the relays would have reacted with low voltage. Since I have my BPS working perfectly (except DRL) I new need to find someone who can program and remove them (I am reading that it can be done) but have no idea how to do this

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:52 pm 
LOST Member

jdespars wrote:
Thanks ajohns1288,

That explains many things! From the tests I made the DRL are sending "swithed" 12V to both the high and low beam to reduce the intensity? Am I getting this right? so I would need to put a capacitor on both the high and low, left and right (4 capacitors in total)? If I had the type of capicitor and the Farad required I could manage to do this.

Not 100% sure which one it is for canada, but it is only one of the high or low circuits that are switched. There is a setting in the tipm you can change with the dealer tool. Speaking of the tipm, I know it is finicky already. Not sure how it would react to the capacitance on that circuit or the inductance either of a relay was put on.

Numerous junkyard upgrades

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jdespars wrote:
I was going to get the Vleds. However if you read the spec to the end:
for use in low voltage high/low beam DRL applications.

So having the DRL (Canadian model) I am not sure how the relays would have reacted with low voltage. Since I have my BPS working perfectly (except DRL) I new need to find someone who can program and remove them (I am reading that it can be done) but have no idea how to do this

If it's like the KJ's all you need to do is remove the DRL relay and install the correct high beam relay(in the high beam relay spot,not the DRL spot) and have the country code switched to USA via starscan/starmobile.