It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rear metal bumper
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just finished this weekend building and painting this bumper. Made out of 3/16 plate. Bumper Alone weights 86 pounds plus swingarm 18 haven't put on a tire yet as I don't know which ones I'm going to get.The finish is rust oleum truck bedliner. We'll see how long it stays on.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Rear metal bumper
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:42 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Shackle brackets how are they mounted, just welded on the outside or clear in and attached to the frame?
I would of went with a left side swingout, made the mistake on one of my XJs having it on the right, was always in the road.
The one I had on the 04 KJ was left side and worked great

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:50 pm 
LOST Addict

tommudd wrote:
Shackle brackets how are they mounted, just welded on the outside or clear in and attached to the frame?
I would of went with a left side swingout, made the mistake on one of my XJs having it on the right, was always in the road.

What do you mean by always being in the road? Wouldn't a left side swing into the road when you pull over? Idk, I could just be a little confused...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:

The mounts are welded exactly on the opposite side of the angle iron which in turn bolts into the frame (I didn't want any chances of warping when pulled if welded on a different place ) as far as the swing arm I placed it there for no reason lol.. however that's as far as it opens before catching in the safety pin... I owe the inspiration of this bumper to rock lizard and at the helm fab. kinda fused the two together.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

Bmxer524 wrote:
tommudd wrote:

What do you mean by always being in the road? Wouldn't a left side swing into the road when you pull over? Idk, I could just be a little confused...

OK now that I remember there was a reason why I placed it on the right side. The left side had a seam of 5 inches across because my plate was not long enough to make it one piece so I had to add a little piece to it. I'm planning on making a second swingarm for gas tanks/water etc. but it's not gonna be as heavy as a tire so that's why...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:21 am 

Bmxer524 wrote:
tommudd wrote:

Should be no confusion, say you're in town, parked along the street and need to access the rear . On the right side it swings out onto the curb/sidewalk blocking access from the sidewalk, left side does not do that, it swings out of your way .
On the XJ, finally sold that bumper and had another one made to left swing, way better.
NOW also its better IMO to have the tire behind the driver when looking back either over your shoulder or using the mirrors either way. On the right side its in your field of vision a lot more.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:28 am 

Ihapy2bnapy wrote:
tommudd wrote:

The mounts are welded exactly on the opposite side of the angle iron which in turn bolts into the frame (I didn't want any chances of warping when pulled if welded on a different place ) as far as the swing arm I placed it there for no reason lol.. however that's as far as it opens before catching in the safety pin... I owe the inspiration of this bumper to rock lizard and at the helm fab. kinda fused the two together.

I had the Rock Lizard with dual swing outs on my 04 , left side tire, right said can carrier etc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:
Ihapy2bnapy wrote:
tommudd wrote:

I had the Rock Lizard with dual swing outs on my 04 , left side tire, right said can carrier etc

Two nice looking kjs!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:29 pm 

Ihapy2bnapy wrote:
tommudd wrote:
Ihapy2bnapy wrote:

Two nice looking kjs!

Thanks
Black is my 04 I bought new , JBA coilovers at 4.5 inches/ 32s/ 4.10s etc
Maroon is a buddy of mine from Indiana that I dis a lot of work on
My latest build is this one 03 , one owner, low miles
JBA 2.5 inch lift, 4.10s / 265-70-16s and other goodies including my rear bumper