It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stuck in overdrive
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey guys,

So my transmission has begun to act pretty dang 'funny'. My powertrain warranty is expired so I am trying to figure the issue out without shelling out cash to a dealership.

Here's some observations:
-Everything is seemingly normal when accelerating from a dead stop.

-Everything is normal driving through town with stop signs, red lights, etc.

-Reverse is kinda funky and slow groaning noises come from the transmission when first put into reverse.

-If I am parked on an incline and put it into Drive these same slow groaning noises occur too (but only on inclines).

-If I hold 55 to 60mph on the highway for more than a couple minutes and then attempt to accelerate my RPM's are STUCK between 1800 and 2100 rpm and I cannot accelerate. Sometimes there is a 'thump' (pulsating may be another accurate description) type motion that occurs and it shakes the whole Jeep while I attempt to accelerate after holding 55 to 60mph.

-Sometimes I can accelerate after the thump/shudder/pulsation and sometimes it just keeps doing it until I give up and let my foot off the gas. I am assuming this is 'torque converter shudder'.

-If I use tow/haul mode I do not have this issue.

I climbed under the Jeep and I have no fluid leaks at all. I have a dipstick from a KJ on the way so I can check the fluid levels. From what I can tell it is seemingly getting stuck in overdrive and from the noises it makes it sounds 'dry'.

Besides flushing the transmission and putting in new fluid, is there anything else I can check without dropping the whole transmission and taking it apart? Any ideas at all? I know I read on here somebody had to replace the transmission solenoid but I can't remember who it was and can't find it in the search. I am hoping you chime in whoever you are! I am hoping I don't need a new torque converter - I am out of warranty so that $500 is gonna come straight out of my pocket.

2012 Bright white KK - Steelcraft black brushguard, painted black rims (didn't know it was so popular lol), 1" clevis lift in the front, RS Chip (woke her up!), magnaflow muffler + resonator delete and a few other small mods.

Post subject: Re: Stuck in overdrive
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:48 pm 
LOST Addict

All the symptoms of low trans fluid. Which as you probaly know is NOT good.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:42 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PALiftedKK wrote:
All the symptoms of low trans fluid. Which as you probaly know is NOT good.

Yep sounds like it...

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well the symptoms I was experiencing mysteriously went away, however, I am going to be changing the fluid this weekend to be on the safe side. (Of course, right? There can't be any consistency when you are trying to figure something out)

The temperatures have been all over the place recently so I thought warmer weather would exasperate low fluid symptoms but instead they improved. I am at a loss there because my daily commute has obviously not changed at all haha - nor has my driving habits. I'm still on the highway for a while each day which is when I would notice the 'shudder' the most (the week before, anyway...)

I figure I'll start cheap first with new fluid - if it still keeps happening I am afraid my solenoid or torque converter may be on the way out. That would be a total bummer.

I did stumble upon this torque converter though:
http://www.offroadpowerproducts.com/p-8 ... 42rle.aspx

It is marketed to go along with ATS's 'Heavy duty' 42RLE which is marketed towards Wranglers. Anybody know if there is any difference between our 42RLE's and the Wranglers 42RLE ? Specifically the torque converter :lol:

But yeah guys, I know low fluid is really bad haha. Unfortunately I have been really busy with school and work this week and it's the tightest week of the month (Jeep payment + mortgage) so I am in limp mode until friday so I can buy some ATF+4 haha.

2012 Bright white KK - Steelcraft black brushguard, painted black rims (didn't know it was so popular lol), 1" clevis lift in the front, RS Chip (woke her up!), magnaflow muffler + resonator delete and a few other small mods.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well, to make a long story short:

The fluid level was only just under where it should have been (maybe 1/2 quart low if that...)

Decided to flush the transmission and replace all the fluid.

That helped most of the symptoms except the torque converter shudder and of course there was little tiny metal pieces in my pan. In other words: I probably need a new torque converter in the near future or a transmission rebuild or both. No codes of any kind to suggest anything else besides the obvious mechanical problem.

So I've just taught myself to drive around it for now. If I'm cruising for a while inbetween 55-65mph and I want/need to pass somebody... I just let the Jeep slow down for a few seconds which allows the torque converter to unlock and THEN I can accelerate normally. It's really not a big deal - the shudder is just startling and very unsettling when I don't remember my new procedure. I've had worse transmission problems in other vehicles. My 20 year old ford ranger's transmission was so messed up when you shifted it would shake the entire hood and rattle the entire truck :ROTFL:

I recently discovered clues that my KK was likely abused to hell and back by the previous owner anyhow. I discovered my rear bumper cover is a very cheap after market replacement. I was cutting off my resonator to run a straight tail pipe and had the spare tire out so I could sit under the rear end. Something caught my eye and it was a sticker for 'keystone'. Then I took a closer gander and it is some very cheap and thin plastic. Who knows what else I am gonna discover? I just hope it's nothing worse.

And for the record - atf+4 takes the cake in stinky oils I have encountered in my life. Such a weird smell.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:20 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Have you tried this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/132088048638?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
It's not a permanent repair but it may help your TC / Trans survive until you can save up and schedule proper repair/replacement. It may also make it less of an irritation to drive in the meantime as well.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

Nope, I haven't tried anything like that. Do things like that actually work without gumming up our very fluid sensitive transmission?

That's the same brand that made the gasket I used for my transmission pan though - I like their product alot.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:40 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
I have not needed it myself, but others in here have used it, and have reported good results. I haven't seen any posts reporting bad results. I have seen one post where a second dose was required.

{edit} Here is one thread: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=84629&p=892705&hilit=Dr+Tranny#p892705

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set