It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 15x8 that works for the kk!!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

So after looking for a while on this forum most everybody said that they won't fit . However I'm not sure if anyone out there has had success with fitting a 15x8. Spend a little while doing some research on the jk forum, people are able to fit 15s, some early wheels didn't fit the jk so the guys had to use spacers or grind the caliper, but pro comp redesign the 52 series and 97 series to fit the wranglers , I found out the kk and the jk share the same brake caliper so I figure It ImageImageImageImageImageImageImagecould work so I decided to give the 52 series a shot, expecting of course to do some grinding. So I bought 1 to test fit. Came in today and just right now I installed it and it fits but with about 1/2 inch to spare lol... so now I'm about to run to discount tire to get me a 33x10.50 15 to get ready to do some chopping lol... here are some pics!!!
Let me know what y'all think..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: 15x8 that works for the kk!!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:36 pm 
LOST Addict

Hope i caught you before you went out and bought a set of 33's. Those will not work on the KK short of having a 6" lift. 32's will fit a 4" lift, but could be dicey with your 3" lift. You'll have to do a lot of cutting, which always makes me cringe when I hear that. Also, anything larger than 31's is going to badly suck your power and gas mileage without regearing. For 32's you'll need 4.10 or even better, 4.56 gearing to regain the lost performance. I have stock 3.73 gearing and 31's and the loss of power and mpg is noticeable.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

I got my 456 on the mail last week. I'm waiting on the Master overhaul kit for the front. Then it's smooth sailing from there on LOL. Well I've always thought that having a jeep is about having fun and experimenting. And braking things!!And this jeep is used to seeing a lot of sawzall and plasma torch.. I have a feeling that it can be done but I like to find out the hard way anyway lol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:13 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

33s and 3 inch lift.................................. :| :|
Poor KK :( :(
and only 4.56s ??
Work good for 32s but 33s and those heavy wheels going to need more power I'm afraid
I'm like LHoward, cringe when I hear chopping/ cutting / hacking, can mess one up fast

What is the backspacing on them? 5 inches ?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:
33s and 3 inch lift.................................. :| :|
Poor KK :( :(
and only 4.56s ??
Work good for 32s but 33s and those heavy wheels going to need more power I'm afraid
I'm like LHoward, cringe when I hear chopping/ cutting / hacking, can mess one up fast

What is the backspacing on them? 5 inches ?

They're actually -19 offset and 3.75 backspace @55$ shipped .
Yea I don't get scared that easy lol :frankie: but at the same time one thing is what I have in my head and another is the actual physics of the tire inside the wheel well.. it agree with y'all about the 3 inch lift , might have to raise another inch or so..' ill find out for sure when I get my tire in next week (they didn't have on stock) .. of course when you cut into something structural you have to find a way to reinforce the area . More that likely fabricating a stiffening bracket
Not to mention that 15 inch tires are cheaper than 16 which is what drove me get them on the first place. Not the best looking but kinda classic....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:36 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

After you get a tire on the rim, set the weight of the rig on the tire.
Then lay on the ground under the front and have a friend push/ pull on the tire a few times.
Watch the caliper bolt clearance while they are pushing/pulling. You will be amazed how much a steel rim will flex. Then imagine taking a corner and the weight of the rig being what it is...
I tried this as a test and my 120 Lb wife was able to make the caliper bolt close 1/2 the distance to the rim. The 15's came off that same day. Call me cautious, but I like having my front wheels stay on the rig while I am driving.
Just my opinion...

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:40 am 

I see you are using wheels with 3.75 backspacing and 8 inches wide.
So you did not find a 15 inch wheel that fits really, you just went with different backspacing
So now that you have went this route you will need to run way more bumpstops in the rear so it doesn't tear flares etc off
One reason why we always recommend using 7 inch wide with 4 inches of backspacing or 8 inch with 5 inches of backspacing
Be fine going to the mall though. :P
Now as far as structural support , to make room you will be cutting right into that support, like cutting out part of the frame on a JK for example.
No way to make it as strong then as it was from the factory .

And also what Scar0 stated above^^^^^^^^^^^^^

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

True !! We'll see what happens !!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:55 pm 
LOST Addict

Not one to squash people's dreams. But I'll share some of my knowledge first before you jump too far into it. So, first off get yourself front bumpstops. That'll help some rub when the front end compresses (it'll save your suspension too).

2nd, bump that lift up to at least 3.5". Hopefully you're running the OME 927 springs, and a 1/4" top plate to hit 3". If so, you're in luck. It's a lot easier to add the 3/8" clevis to get up to 3.5". If you did the clevis instead of the top plate, well then that sucks because you'll have to add the more annoying of the 2. If you want to go more than that, find yourself some JBA coilovers or do like ATH did and make a set of custom coilovers. Full size springs over 3.5" don't work well at all.

3rd, 4.56s should put you back to stock RPMs, but won't make up for weight. 4.88s might have been better, but that's really all personal preference and location/use based. You might want to add a locker(s) or LSD(s) while rehearing. It'll save you money down the road if you eventually plan on adding those (strong possibility that you will...we know Jeepers).

4th, from personal experience, well a close friend's personal experience, 33s won't work, even at 3.5" and with a ATH front bumper. She ended up going with 32x11.5s.

That's all my words of wisdom for now. Many people like to try things and see for themselves (I can clearly see you're one of them, and I don't blame you, I kinda am too). Good luck, please report back on how it all works out for you. Please include pics because....well pics or it didn't happen!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:01 pm 

^^^^ second what he said
Still mazes me , after over 12 years, almost 13 on Liberty Forums and this still comes up

You'll need to run at least 3, possibly 4 inches of bumpstops in the rear just to keep your rear from tearing up the tires and flares coming off
May have an inch or so of upwards travel . Off road should be fun........joking of course.

But like your determination to prove us wrong.

When I first got on these Liberty sites the highest they said we could go was 2.5 inches
But some others and I kept testing the limits to see how much you could go before all H*** breaks loose.
In the meantime things like you're suggesting were tried
But carry on.....................

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

Bmxer524 wrote:
Not one to squash people's dreams. But I'll share some of my knowledge first before you jump too far into it. So, first off get yourself front bumpstops. That'll help some rub when the front end compresses (it'll save your suspension too).

2nd, bump that lift up to at least 3.5". Hopefully you're running the OME 927 springs, and a 1/4" top plate to hit 3". If so, you're in luck. It's a lot easier to add the 3/8" clevis to get up to 3.5". If you did the clevis instead of the top plate, well then that sucks because you'll have to add the more annoying of the 2. If you want to go more than that, find yourself some JBA coilovers or do like ATH did and make a set of custom coilovers. Full size springs over 3.5" don't work well at all.

3rd, 4.56s should put you back to stock RPMs, but won't make up for weight. 4.88s might have been better, but that's really all personal preference and location/use based. You might want to add a locker(s) or LSD(s) while rehearing. It'll save you money down the road if you eventually plan on adding those (strong possibility that you will...we know Jeepers).

4th, from personal experience, well a close friend's personal experience, 33s won't work, even at 3.5" and with a ATH front bumper. She ended up going with 32x11.5s.

That's all my words of wisdom for now. Many people like to try things and see for themselves (I can clearly see you're one of them, and I don't blame you, I kinda am too). Good luck, please report back on how it all works out for you. Please include pics because....well pics or it didn't happen!

Hey I'll take all the suggestions I can ! It's good to hear all this constructive criticism!!! It's just I think the idea of a kk with with 33s on a 15 inch rim it's cool ... All are good theories of all That could go wrong but I like to see the glass half full lol... I know probably for the average joe this is insane like mentioned above but I'm some what good at fabricating ....it's surprising the stuff you can do with a tig/mig/plasma!!!! ... as a matter of fact I have added about 1/2 inch on the Clevis but I was planning on adding top plates (diy) jba makes some but I think I can make some better ones . As far as changing to a adjustable coil for the front from jba it's probably going to be the last thing on the table just because I really like the ride of the ome. And I'm pretty sure it can be stretched the entra inch it needs .. cutting into the unibody don't really matter to me because I can weld a stiffening plate. The only "concern" in thinking is the rear fender flares , I feel like at full flex they'll be riped off bc the tire is not going to be tucked In ... my "solution"is going to involve ... (WARNING DONT READ THIS!! )Cutting !!! the inner fender then possibly moving the back flare up and inch ?? Idk i really need to have the tire to see all the options .. for the back I like to get the jba long spring but for now an isolator would do...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:
^^^^ second what he said
Still mazes me , after over 12 years, almost 13 on Liberty Forums and this still comes up

You'll need to run at least 3, possibly 4 inches of bumpstops in the rear just to keep your rear from tearing up the tires and flares coming off
May have an inch or so of upwards travel . Off road should be fun........joking of course.

When I first got on these Liberty sites the highest they said we could go was 2.5 inches
But some others and I kept testing the limits to see how much you could go before all H*** breaks loose.

Now that's what I like to hear!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:57 am 

Ihapy2bnapy wrote:
tommudd wrote:
^^^^ second what he said

What I stated is not what you think you heard then
But since you're convinced that none of us know anything
I know how far you can take OME, what all you can do to them.
My 04 has over 200,000 miles of two different spring rates of OMEs, Ironman HDs and JBA coilovers
I know from experience exactly what you are going to run into and how far you can take it
but for some reason............. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:
Ihapy2bnapy wrote:
tommudd wrote:
^^^^ second what he said

What I stated is not what you think you heard then
But since you're convinced that none of us know anything
I know how far you can take OME, what all you can do to them.
My 04 has over 200,000 miles of two different spring rates of OMEs, Ironman HDs and JBA coilovers
I know from experience exactly what you are going to run into and how far you can take it
but for some reason............. :roll:

It's all good no offense taken! We're all part of the great loving jeep family, there's always that black sheep who wants to go against the grain tho.. lol I mean worst thing can happen is that they don't fit then I'll just come back here with my tail between my legs, prove y'all right and apologize to the liberty founding fathers :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:24 pm 
LOST Addict

I know of 2 KKs on 33x12.5s. Both were cut to hell and sit at about 4.5" of lift to fit them and still rub. I'm recommending the coilovers because once you're at 3.5" you're going to get some contact with the upper control arms and springs. The higher you go the worse it is. That's why you need the smaller diameter springs to help avoid that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

Bmxer524 wrote:
I know of 2 KKs on 33x12.5s. Both were cut to hell and sit at about 4.5" of lift to fit them and still rub. I'm recommending the coilovers because once you're at 3.5" you're going to get some contact with the upper control arms and springs. The higher you go the worse it is. That's why you need the smaller diameter springs to help avoid that.

I bought one 33x10.50 bf Goodrich ko2
I got 35s on my f250 and they don't even wear out best a/t tire I ever had .. maybe it being a little skinnier would help? Also if nothing else works I was looking at an eibach spring with an adjustable fox shock.. think is a little less than 3" Inside diameter .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

Got the tire in today, let the madness begin !!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

Got the tire in today, let the madness begin !!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:23 pm 
LOST Junkie

ARe you on Lone Star LOST?

Texans, come join us at Lone Star LOST!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/253493118163702?ref=bookmark&_rdr