It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 15x8 that works for the kk!!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:47 am 
LOST Newbie

tjkj2002 wrote:
Ihapy2bnapy wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
[quote="Ihapy2bnapy"]
Cut pinch weld and weld plate on it

Bad,very bad idea. Those 2 points are 2 of 4 major strength points in the body.Simply welding a plate will not bring back the strength since you need to make sure that every single layer is welded which is impossible.

Still gonna doit lol
I'm sure It'll be alright , all these guys who sfa swaps and v8s don't care to much about it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My KJ is SFA'd with intact pinchwelds.

Cutting that totals the vehicle because you compromised the structural integrity of the body.[/quote]
At least It won't be the first vehicle I totaled lol ;D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:13 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

train wreck...................................

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tommudd wrote:
train wreck...................................

X1000000000000000000000000000

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just an update doing the regearing this weekend I should have the rear done with today .. just checking pattern and back lash before I bolt everything back together :) ( had to grind 2 ring teeth to fit cross pin back in ... nuts right !?) ImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:47 pm 
LOST Member

You dodnt need to grind your gears(Peter Griffin, lol), its doable but a long process. Install the carrier with the ring gear not bolted onto the carrier. Install pinion shaft and keeper bolt, then slide the ring gear onto the carrier and put the bolts in. That works if the ring gear isnt pressed onto the carrier, some can be tight. I hope you cleaned the grinding products out of the diff very well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:39 am 
LOST Newbie

MarkZ28 wrote:
You dodnt need to grind your gears(Peter Griffin, lol), its doable but a long process. Install the carrier with the ring gear not bolted onto the carrier. Install pinion shaft and keeper bolt, then slide the ring gear onto the carrier and put the bolts in. That works if the ring gear isnt pressed onto the carrier, some can be tight. I hope you cleaned the grinding products out of the diff very well.

Thanks for the idea! That seems like a good one !
However I didn't wanted to "pull" the ring gear with the bolts so I heated it to 250 for 5 mins then pounded it on a vice held against wood with a rubber hammer . Maybe later I'll throw a zip or ox locker I'm sure the Carrier will accommodate the pin better!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

One down one to go... just waiting for my arb cover I'll replace it after the gear brake in period when I have to change the oil :) Image

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

Got the front now ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have done a few of these,( not a kk) and have to say,it is not my favorite thing to do. I just put a Yukon true track in my dads GMC. I would rather pay someone to do mine if I was going to change gears.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

Fabricater wrote:
I have done a few of these,( not a kk) and have to say,it is not my favorite thing to do. I just put a Yukon true track in my dads GMC. I would rather pay someone to do mine if I was going to change gears.

Yea I can see the value of having some one else doing it , specially to tighten the pinion nut lol ... but I have a tendency to not trust mechanics on something that critical ..
Plus it wasn't too hard :) a lot of people make it sound like you have to be some kind of rocket scientist to chance gears ... (maybe in the 80s) .. but now everything is explained real well on the interweb lol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ihapy2bnapy wrote:
Fabricater wrote:

Yea I can see the value of having some one else doing it , specially to tighten the pinion nut lol ... but I have a tendency to not trust mechanics on something that critical ..
Plus it wasn't too hard :) a lot of people make it sound like you have to be some kind of rocket scientist to chance gears ... (maybe in the 80s) .. but now everything is explained real well on the interweb lol

It would be a lot easier to do on a car lift. It is much harder for me to craw around on the garage floor than it used to be. I always peen the old crush sleeve and reuse it. It is much easier to crush than a new one. Not sure how good it is to peen and reuse it,but has worked for me. There is a local shop ,gear changes and rebuilds is all they do. $95.00 hr with a estament of 4 hrs to do a gear change. That would put it around $400 plus the cost of the gears. When I was younger I wouldn't pay $25. To have someone do it for me. Now $400 is not looking to bad.lol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

Fabricater wrote:
Ihapy2bnapy wrote:
Fabricater wrote:

It would be a lot easier to do on a car lift. It is much harder for me to craw around on the garage floor than it used to be. I always peen the old crush sleeve and reuse it. It is much easier to crush than a new one. Not sure how good it is to peen and reuse it,but has worked for me. There is a local shop ,gear changes and rebuilds is all they do. $95.00 hr with a estament of 4 hrs to do a gear change. That would put it around $400 plus the cost of the gears. When I was younger I wouldn't pay $25. To have someone do it for me. Now $400 is not looking to bad.lol

Is that 400$ each Axle or for both?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

We were just doing the rear axle in my dads truck at the time. So I guess it would be just one axle. I don't think it would be fair to say that 2 axles would be $800. But I could be wrong. It's all these guys do,so I would think they would be fast at what they do.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Fabricater wrote:

We were just doing the rear axle in my dads truck at the time. So I guess it would be just one axle. I don't think it would be fair to say that 2 axles would be $800. But I could be wrong. It's all these guys do,so I would think they would be fast at what they do.
[/quote]
The KJ/KK would be much higher to regear at a shop since it calls for over 5 hours of labor alone just to pull and reinstall the front diff,that is not including the actual regear.

Your looking at $1500-$2000 at least to regear a KJ/KK,price to include gears and install kits.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:39 am 
LOST Newbie

tjkj2002 wrote:
Fabricater wrote:

The KJ/KK would be much higher to regear at a shop since it calls for over 5 hours of labor alone just to pull and reinstall the front diff,that is not including the actual regear.

Your looking at $1500-$2000 at least to regear a KJ/KK,price to include gears and install kits.[/quote]

That's for sure ! At my pace it took me 3 week days working after work and a whole Saturday to finish, the back was a breeze compared !!

Post subject: 15x8 that works for the kk!!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:56 am 
LOST Newbie

Well love it or hate it ... here it is finally on 33s been driving it for about 500 miles and no rub anywhere . Still got to raise the back and inch Image

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:01 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ihapy2bnapy wrote:
Well love it or hate it ... here it is finally on 33s been driving it for about 500 miles and no rub anywhere . Still got to raise the back and inch Image

What bumper is that? Rig looks good :mrgreen:

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:03 am 
LOST Newbie

Your rig looks kick booty! Wish mine looked like yours!

2012 Bright white KK - Steelcraft black brushguard, painted black rims (didn't know it was so popular lol), 1" clevis lift in the front, RS Chip (woke her up!), magnaflow muffler + resonator delete and a few other small mods.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:29 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Very Nice!

How is the ride and handling with the 33's on 15's?

I would imagine not exactly a slalom killer, but probably a lot softer on rough roads?

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:00 pm 
LOST Addict

Ihapy2bnapy wrote:

Looks really good. Definitely not an ATH bumper. Looks almost rock lizard....but they never made a KK rear....

What are you officially sitting at from center of hub to the bottom of the flare now? And show us the cutting! lol

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next