It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OME 1.5 SETUP QUESTION
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

Okay... so i'm about ready to pull the trigger on this lift! quite excited but i'm having some doubts... here's what i'm concerned about:

currently running: 235/70/16 on stock suspension... i don't want to install the lift add bigger tires and not notice a "noticeable/enjoyable" difference.

I also want to make sure i get the right springs to get the full 2.5 i've been reading around about from the 1.5.

Aside from what COMES IN THE LIFT PACKAGE. what else do i need for it? i was reading on the other site about hockey pucks??

if someone could give me a legit laundry list, lol of everything i should get/do before i hit purchase, that would be PHENOMENAL.

thanks

Post subject: Re: OME 1.5 SETUP QUESTION
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:19 am 
LOST Newbie

I put a 1.5 OME on my 09 KK. I had the local Jeep dealer do it. I don't have the tools or time. They also installed my front bumper (from At The Helm). The big booty winch is from harbor freight. Didn't think I had enough weight on the front end LOL so I add it. It fits in the front bumper receiver and I take it off when I don't need it. I also have a 20ft cable that runs from the front quick connect to the back of the jeep in case I have to relocate the winch.

As for extras, here's a link to what I got. Nothing more, nothing less. 4 springs, two rear shocks and two front struts. I did go for the "A" arms too, which adds another few hundred. If you can foot the bill, add the "A" arms now if you think you will bump up the lift to a 3. If you go 4, I was told you have to switch out more then just the "A" arms, like the front axles or something expensive LOL.
http://jeepinbyal.com/affiliate-product ... it-kk.html

If I had to do it again, here's a 3.5inch lift listed as "Tommudd's Econo 3.5inch lift OME". I would talk to him if you want to drop 1500.00 on a what looks like a nice lift and might be the way I go next but Don't really need the "A" arm this time and that's one costly item.
http://jeepinbyal.com/liberty-2008-2012-kk/econo-lift-kits-for-the-kk/tommudd-s-econo-3-5-lift-kit-kk-ome.html

One thing you might want to know is once the lift is installed and you do your alignment, it was suggested by JeepinbyAl (who I got the kit from) to put all fours on the ground, not on the alignment lift) and adjust the (I think he called it) the torsion bar. If not, you will get some nice "clunks and pops" when making turns. I told them to do this in the beginning, assumed it was done till I drove it off the lot. But came back the next day and told them to recheck it because it was "thunking" pretty bad on turns where I was driving up on a curb or something. Once they loosened the bolts, then tightened, it went way.

The sliders are from JCR offroad. Because of the sliders, skids, rear hitch, the KK was dragging booty at 6inchs of ground clearance. The lift gave me 10. Even after adding AtTheHelm's front bumper that added another 120lbs. Was thinking about getting ATH's rear bumper but I'm not willing to loose my class III hitch and his rear bumper isn't load tested. I sometimes pull our boy scouts 2500-3500lbs (depends on it it's a weekend camp trip or summer camp) and I don't want to take the chance of loosing it going down the road. :furious:

Since the pic's are not visible to everyone, here's a link to the album.

https://goo.gl/photos/7WpnngrsseSEYwf99

And one more little thing. My MPG from stock to now is also night and day. The best I every got with stock tires, suspension, but did have the hitch, was 26.7mpg hwy, 17 city. Now, it's no better then 17hwy and city? Well, lets just say a 21 gal tank will get me 235-250 miles tops. If my California math skills are still good, thats 11-12mpg on a GOOD DAY. KK has 105k on it. Only issues have been, new radiator at 100k, new trans cooler, new trains pan and new front drive shaft (rubber boot had a crack in it that was discovered during the trans pan replacement. I'm the orig owner so the lifetime warranty paid for all but the radiator.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

(9 rear diff ground clearance)
ATH Front steel bumper
12k lb winch - BadLands
Reese Class III Rear Hitch
Pyle 42watt flood lights
Lifetime Warranty - Eng, Trans-Drivetrain

Last edited by tc1uscg on Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:20 am 
LOST Newbie

Wow, hey thanks for the reply and info!

Some of your pics didn't show up though... do you have a link for your current set up? I'd really like to see what it looks like, your pro pic gave a small glimpse.

Yeah I think i'll probably stick with the 2.5 inches.. I just want the looks really anything greater than that isn't worth it for my purposes...

thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:33 am 
LOST Newbie

They show up in my browser. I'm using Opera. You can try looking at them in Chrome or FireFox? I also logged out and back in. But I'll post some links that might help. Give me a sec.. :5SHOTS:

Ok.. Here ya go. You get to see ALL the pic's. They auto post by date so the first pics are when I added my first mod.

I went back and put this link in the orig post so it doesn't waist space

https://goo.gl/photos/7WpnngrsseSEYwf99

(9 rear diff ground clearance)
ATH Front steel bumper
12k lb winch - BadLands
Reese Class III Rear Hitch
Pyle 42watt flood lights
Lifetime Warranty - Eng, Trans-Drivetrain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:49 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

creedbratton wrote:
Wow, hey thanks for the reply and info!

Some of your pics didn't show up though... do you have a link for your current set up? I'd really like to see what it looks like, your pro pic gave a small glimpse.

Yeah I think i'll probably stick with the 2.5 inches.. I just want the looks really anything greater than that isn't worth it for my purposes...

thanks again!

The 927/731 springs and new shocks will give you that 2.5 inches of lift
Then later if you want to go higher its easy to do

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:11 am 
LOST Newbie

I'm about to pull the trigger on that kit too.... awaiting response to questions I sent to JBA regarding tire size etc. Anyone know, is the stock spare tire and Jack still usable after adding the lift? Carrying a high lift Jack isn't on my radar.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:25 pm 

DavidDulin wrote:
I'm about to pull the trigger on that kit too.... awaiting response to questions I sent to JBA regarding tire size etc. Anyone know, is the stock spare tire and Jack still usable after adding the lift? Carrying a high lift Jack isn't on my radar.

A hilift would be useless unless you have aftermarket front and rear bumpers to use it on.
What kit ?

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:45 pm 
LOST Addict

Lets be honest, will you ever want to go to 3.5-4"?

4" will need adjust-a-struts. 3.5" can be done with OME springs and some extras, but you'll have some upper control arm/spring contact.

If that 3.5-4" mark isn't what you want (I thought I'd be happy with just 3.5"...), then OME springs will do fine. 927/731s will be 2.5" and sit pretty level. Only additional items you'll need are the shocks, and bumpstops. Hockey pucks work for the rear.

If you want 3.5", you now how to decide do you want a rake? Would you like adjust-a-struts? At this point you can either add to that OME 2.5" kit to get to 3.5" and sit level, run the Tommudd kit which will have a 1-2" rake (rear end will sit high), or run the JBA adjust-a-struts and set it for 3.5"(If you want a rake, run the 4" kit, or 4" rear springs. If not run the 2.5" kit, the fronts are the same, and maybe add a little, OR run OME 731 rear springs with some add-ons).

All will run a 31" tire. 245/75-16 works best, 265/70-16 will too but that tends to rub (a tiny bit on the pinch weld, easy fix) on lifts under 3". The first is a 31x9.5ish. Some run a little closer to 31x10. The 265/70-16 is a 31x10.5. If you run 3.5-4" of lift you can run a 31x10.5 (265/75-16) with a little work and regearing.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:39 am 
LOST Newbie

Bmxer524 wrote:

4" will need adjust-a-struts. 3.5" can be done with OME springs and some extras, but you'll have some upper control arm/spring contact.

If that 3.5-4" mark isn't what you want (I thought I'd be happy with just 3.5"...), then OME springs will do fine. 927/731s will be 2.5" and sit pretty level. Only additional items you'll need are the shocks, and bumpstops. Hockey pucks work for the rear.

If you want 3.5", you now how to decide do you want a rake? Would you like adjust-a-struts? At this point you can either add to that OME 2.5" kit to get to 3.5" and sit level, run the Tommudd kit which will have a 1-2" rake (rear end will sit high), or run the JBA adjust-a-struts and set it for 3.5"(If you want a rake, run the 4" kit, or 4" rear springs. If not run the 2.5" kit, the fronts are the same, and maybe add a little, OR run OME 731 rear springs with some add-ons).

All will run a 31" tire. 245/75-16 works best, 265/70-16 will too but that tends to rub (a tiny bit on the pinch weld, easy fix) on lifts under 3". The first is a 31x9.5ish. Some run a little closer to 31x10. The 265/70-16 is a 31x10.5. If you run 3.5-4" of lift you can run a 31x10.5 (265/75-16) with a little work and regearing.

So, if I currently have the OME 1.5 lift installed (2.5 inches) and want to get another inch, what do i need to purchase?

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:53 am 
LOST Addict

creedbratton wrote:
Bmxer524 wrote:

So, if I currently have the OME 1.5 lift installed (2.5 inches) and want to get another inch, what do i need to purchase?

At that point I'm assuming you're running 927/731 springs, shocks, and bumpstops. So all you'll need is new front upper control arms (I recommend JBA), add the 1/4" top plate in front, do a 3/8" clevis lift (either 6 2" conduit nuts from Lowes or Home Deport, or just measure), and then 2 extra rear upper spring isolators per side (you'd be buying a total of 4 new ones). The front is self explanatory. The rear will have a total of 4 isolators per side now. The factory top and bottoms and then the 2 new uppers.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

Bmxer524 wrote:
creedbratton wrote:
Bmxer524 wrote:

At that point I'm assuming you're running 927/731 springs, shocks, and bumpstops. So all you'll need is new front upper control arms (I recommend JBA), add the 1/4" top plate in front, do a 3/8" clevis lift (either 6 2" conduit nuts from Lowes or Home Deport, or just measure), and then 2 extra rear upper spring isolators per side (you'd be buying a total of 4 new ones). The front is self explanatory. The rear will have a total of 4 isolators per side now. The factory top and bottoms and then the 2 new uppers.

I hate to ask a trivial question like this, but, how much will all of that run me? separate from install prices, which if you have any idea about I'd love to know.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:24 pm 

You do know that all of the things listed are on the JBA site which anyone can look up , right ?
But with arms etc about 500

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:
DavidDulin wrote:

A hilift would be useless unless you have aftermarket front and rear bumpers to use it on.
What kit ?

The JBA OME econo lift 1.5". Jeep will be mostly on road, but hoping to make a visit to Rauch Creek and a Jeep Jamboree this year.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:57 am 
LOST Addict

Figure the springs and shocks will run about 800. The additional maybe about 500. So overall for the 3.5 you're looking at about 1300ish. Give or take obviously. It's been a while since I've priced things out.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:57 pm 
LOST Member

I bought the 1.5" ome kit from JBA not too long ago. Make sure to get the extended rear shocks. I have the factory stock length and my booty end is bouncing all over the place. I cannot 100% confirm its because of the shocks but JBA is sending me the extended length ones to find out. I will update my bouncy 1.5 thread as soon as I can confirm.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ordered mine, with the A arms today!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

brianb1998 wrote:
I bought the 1.5" ome kit from JBA not too long ago. Make sure to get the extended rear shocks. I have the factory stock length and my booty end is bouncing all over the place. I cannot 100% confirm its because of the shocks but JBA is sending me the extended length ones to find out. I will update my bouncy 1.5 thread as soon as I can confirm.

I'm looking to order the kit. dumb question, but why get the extended shocks over the other option.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:53 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KK Renegade wrote:
I'm looking to order the kit. dumb question, but why get the extended shocks over the other option.

Standard length shock are not long enough. They will "top out" and pop the seals.

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:51 pm 

KK Renegade wrote:
brianb1998 wrote:

You need extended shocks since you are going to be 2.5 inches higher

also OME does not make the 132Ls any longer ( they were the extended ones ) so need to go with Bilstein

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

Installed last week.... very happy with results. There is some degree of "bounciness" though greatly preferred to the kidney punches the stock ride threw me. Did about 300 miles on highway and it tracked straight and smooth. Big speedbumps much better than stock..... and a few heavily eroded pothole littered roads were easily maneuvered.