It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with Steering Rack!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:03 am 
LOST Member

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the forum here. I've been active on JeepForum for a couple years and I was referred over here for an issue I've been having with my steering rack(s). Apparently there are a few of you that have had similar issues?

I'm starting to worry I made a mistake lifting my KK. Today, for the 2nd time in the 6months since I've lifted it (4" JBA silver), I've blown through another steering rack. This one was only 2 months old! I've been taking it on moderate trails out in the desert, some decent size rocks but well within the vehicles capability. Power steering went out on the trail and I saw fluid was leaking from the driver side boot of the steering rack. Can the steering rack on the KK just not handle the stress off-road with the 4" JBA?. The whole reason I spent 10k on this build was for offroad performance but so far it's been nothing but a headache! I can't afford to spend 1500$ to replace the steering rack everytime I hit a trail. Are there any aftermarket steering setups?

2011 KK Sport, Blacked out. JBA 4" Silver, Tire Carrier. 265/75/16 Duratracs. 16x7:4 AR172 Bajas. 4.56 Gears. RRO Super Sliders, Side Rails. Mopar Skids, Hooks. Curt Receiver. SC Brush Guards. RR Mats. Yakima/Bison Rack.

Post subject: Re: Help with Steering Rack!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:44 am 
LOST Member

Shouldn't be having that much trouble with them. Also I had a hard time finding a rack for the kk online that was more than 600 bucks. ( and that was a factory Mopar one). Who did your last one? Any kind of warranty on their work?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:36 am 
LOST Member

bgcarl01 wrote:
Shouldn't be having that much trouble with them. Also I had a hard time finding a rack for the kk online that was more than 600 bucks. ( and that was a factory Mopar one). Who did your last one? Any kind of warranty on their work?

Dealership replaced the last one. $1500 with parts and labor. I'm hoping this is under warranty but who knows if they'll give me a hard time because I take it off-road. Does anyone know if there are after market steering racks or modifications that can be made to make them sturdier?

2011 KK Sport, Blacked out. JBA 4" Silver, Tire Carrier. 265/75/16 Duratracs. 16x7:4 AR172 Bajas. 4.56 Gears. RRO Super Sliders, Side Rails. Mopar Skids, Hooks. Curt Receiver. SC Brush Guards. RR Mats. Yakima/Bison Rack.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:10 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi
This is what you need
http://www.murchisonproducts.com.au/sho ... -brace-kit
I know a few guys in Australia were busting racks especially when using front end disconnects.
Cheers
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:45 am 
LOST Member

I haven't been busting the mounts though. Both times fluid has just been leaking from the boot so I assume it's a busted seal. Certainly wouldn't hurt to try this though, thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:54 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

Just curious, what is your measurement from the center of the front wheels to the bottom edge of the fender flare and are you disconnecting your front sway bar links when you go out? Usually the issue is breaking the mounts off, so to me it sounds like you have a lot of stress on the tie rods possibly from too much lift or too much droop.

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:16 pm 
LOST Member

Offhand I believe the measurement is 21.5". I've measure it before and I know it comes out to 3.5" of lift. Not disconnecting anything when off-roading. Could they have done something wrong with the lift install that would affect the steering rack? The shop I took it too had never lifted a libby before. I've been JB contact with the shop and they can't think of anything they can do to address the issue.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:42 pm 
LOST Member

Thank god the rack was covered under warranty. I feel like it's just a matter of time before this happens again though. I'm going to add the rack brace kit but I don't see how that will prevent a blown seal. Anyone ever looked into having someone fab a custom steering rack? I fee like I either find a solution to this problem or I Sell the car. No use having a lifted truck if I can't take it off-road.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:19 am 
LOST Newbie

I agree the brace is not the answer and I've had my rack go twice although not since fitting the brace but I'm certain that is only because of less off-roading. Originally I was running a 3" lift and then dropped half an inch when the last rack blew. The rack is rebuildable and that's what I did on the last occasion. I'm hoping to lift it much higher in future so thinking the best plan is to relocate the rack and or fit a stronger one. Suggest talking to JBA for their advice. Hope you find a solution and keep the KK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:29 pm 
LOST Junkie

ElCuervo52 wrote:
Offhand I believe the measurement is 21.5". I've measure it before and I know it comes out to 3.5" of lift. Not disconnecting anything when off-roading. Could they have done something wrong with the lift install that would affect the steering rack? The shop I took it too had never lifted a libby before. I've been JB contact with the shop and they can't think of anything they can do to address the issue.

21.5" is 2.5" of lift.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

L.O.S.T. #31000

'03 KJ Freedom Edition - 4" JBA Coilover Lift w/ 32" Cooper STT PROs
'98 XJ Sport - 6" Full-Traction 4-Link Long Arm - Jeepspeed #2731 (Race Jeep)

DobermanRacing.com - Team Driver
Sponsored by UltRanger & CellTech

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:53 pm 
LOST Addict

Myke wrote:
ElCuervo52 wrote:

21.5" is 2.5" of lift.

In a KJ, yes. For a KK, that's a 3.5" lift.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:42 pm 
LOST Junkie

Bob Peru wrote:
Hi
This is what you need
I know a few guys in Australia were busting racks especially when using front end disconnects.
Cheers
Bob

Waste of money. Does not work. I tried it.
I've gone through 6-8 Rack& pinions. I got to where could switch them out in under an hour on the trail.
The best you can do is go to autozone, advance autoparts, and oreillys and by one under warranty and cycle through them. ( I had 2 back ups) at all times, one I would take on the trail. I cycled through them so when I warrantied them out they wouldnt get suspicious. They still did after the 3rd or 4th time. I also have to for sale in san antonio if you want to pay shipping....

The best you can do is tie a ratcheting tie strap around the frame and the rack (this will brace it far better then the aussie thing, and get you home if the mount breaks). IT will not protect your seals though. For that develop a bypass or get a shorter belt and bypass the PS pump. THen you can just drive with out power steering.

Been through it multiple times. ask anyone who knows me...

Texans, come join us at Lone Star LOST!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/253493118163702?ref=bookmark&_rdr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:58 pm 
LOST Junkie

Bmxer524 wrote:
Myke wrote:
ElCuervo52 wrote:

21.5" is 2.5" of lift.

In a KJ, yes. For a KK, that's a 3.5" lift.

Oh my bad, I don't know why I thought it was a kj.

L.O.S.T. #31000

'03 KJ Freedom Edition - 4" JBA Coilover Lift w/ 32" Cooper STT PROs
'98 XJ Sport - 6" Full-Traction 4-Link Long Arm - Jeepspeed #2731 (Race Jeep)

DobermanRacing.com - Team Driver
Sponsored by UltRanger & CellTech

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:24 am 
LOST Member

JeepNCrowd wrote:
Bob Peru wrote:
Hi
This is what you need
Cheers
Bob

Waste of money. Does not work. I tried it.
I've gone through 6-8 Rack& pinions. I got to where could switch them out in under an hour on the trail.
The best you can do is go to autozone, advance autoparts, and oreillys and by one under warranty and cycle through them. ( I had 2 back ups) at all times, one I would take on the trail. I cycled through them so when I warrantied them out they wouldnt get suspicious. They still did after the 3rd or 4th time. I also have to for sale in san antonio if you want to pay shipping....

The best you can do is tie a ratcheting tie strap around the frame and the rack (this will brace it far better then the aussie thing, and get you home if the mount breaks). IT will not protect your seals though. For that develop a bypass or get a shorter belt and bypass the PS pump. THen you can just drive with out power steering.

Been through it multiple times. ask anyone who knows me...

Thanks for the input. The guy from Murchison (Company that makes the brace kit) told me that's hes had 2 customers that the brace kit did not work for so he rebuilt a KK rack and welded extra supports for them. He claims these racks have held up to severe offroad abuse. He told me he could get me one for $1500 including shipping. I'd consider it pending a warranty. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:35 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ElCuervo52 wrote:
Thanks for the input. The guy from Murchison (Company that makes the brace kit) told me that's hes had 2 customers that the brace kit did not work for so he rebuilt a KK rack and welded extra supports for them. He claims these racks have held up to severe offroad abuse. He told me he could get me one for $1500 including shipping. I'd consider it pending a warranty. Thoughts?

If you're not breaking the rack(mounts) then it's not worth it.You can buy 7 racks for that cost.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:48 am 
LOST Member

There's got to be something we can do to keep the seals from busting. The guys at offroad warehouse told me there are a few companies in Cali also that could build a custom rack. I'd be willing to put up the money if it means I don't have to deal with this anymore. What about RCV's? Anyone running these and would they take any strain off the rack? There's gotta be a way!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:14 pm 
LOST Addict

Hey, does anybody know the actual cause of the failure-- like what physically happens when the seals blow or the rack mounts fail? Are you turning the wheels against some rocks at full droop and the tie rod is binding against something, for example? I think if we're going to fix this, we need to understand what kind of mechanical situation causes it to fail.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:15 pm 
LOST Junkie

I was both breaking mounts and seals. About 50/50 it would be one or the other. The ratcheting tie strap will work far better than the brace for the mounts (which I broke twice while using a knock off brace copied from what they are selling). As for the seals......
good luck. We just need a heavier duty rack, hydro assist. or be like me and just replace the whole thing. The failing R&P is what made me do my current build. It was a way to have stronger steering system, then one thing lead to another. Basically it got to the point that if I'm spending this much to develop a new steering system and change everything up, why not just go all out.

Texans, come join us at Lone Star LOST!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/253493118163702?ref=bookmark&_rdr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JeepNCrowd wrote:
, why not just go all out.

No more broken mounts or blown seals.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:40 pm 
LOST Member

JeepNCrowd wrote:
I was both breaking mounts and seals. About 50/50 it would be one or the other. The ratcheting tie strap will work far better than the brace for the mounts (which I broke twice while using a knock off brace copied from what they are selling). As for the seals......
good luck. We just need a heavier duty rack, hydro assist. or be like me and just replace the whole thing. The failing R&P is what made me do my current build. It was a way to have stronger steering system, then one thing lead to another. Basically it got to the point that if I'm spending this much to develop a new steering system and change everything up, why not just go all out.

What is the current build your running? I'm willing to put the money up to avoid this issue. Also for the time being, where exactly would I put rachet straps? Do you have a picture? I've been in contact with a few guys regarding custom steering racks. I'm determined to fix this problem!