It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: leaving rear hatch open while driving - 2012 kk
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:06 am 
LOST Newbie

hey all,

well, with spring/summer "around the corner" (here in NE we still have winter LOL) I'm gonna want to open the Jeep up on days that its real nice out... I tried it the other day, we had near 60 degree weather and i drove with the rear hatch open but the two overhead lights in front of my rear view mirror stayed on the whole ride and my dashboard monitor read 'hatch open' or something like that...

1) how detrimental to my battery is it if I drive 30-40 minutes to the beach with the hatch open
2) has anyone reported the hatch getting ripped off because of wind (probably a dumb question)

/thanks

Post subject: Re: leaving rear hatch open while driving - 2012 kk
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:25 am 
LOST Addict

You can turn the lights off. It's on the stalk, just turn the dimmer all the way down. Also make sure you have other windows open otherwise you risk pulling the exhaust fumes in, which we all know is dangerous. Other than that you'll be fine. Just be careful with bumps. Those pistons are the strongest so the glass will bounce around.

I know a few others have done it. I normally don't since I have a skyslider so it's kinda pointless for me...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:30 am 
LOST Newbie

Bmxer524 wrote:
You can turn the lights off. It's on the stalk, just turn the dimmer all the way down. Also make sure you have other windows open otherwise you risk pulling the exhaust fumes in, which we all know is dangerous. Other than that you'll be fine. Just be careful with bumps. Those pistons are the strongest so the glass will bounce around.

I know a few others have done it. I normally don't since I have a skyslider so it's kinda pointless for me...

Saaaaweeeet! :pepper: :BANANA: :rockon:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just use a screw driver to close the "catch" for the open hatch.
I do this to capture a rope loop in the catch when I have things in the back that are to long to fit, so I can tie the lift gate down. The other end of the rope I tie to the hitch. To undo the rope I just pull on the lift gate "open" handle.

Anyway, closing the "catch" all the way (2 clicks), will turn off the interior lights as well as get rid of the hatch open warning...
This will work on the flipper glass as well as the lift gate.
Only thing you have to remember is to pull the "Open" handle, before you attempt to close the hatch.

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

Scar0 wrote:
Just use a screw driver to close the "catch" for the open hatch.
I do this to capture a rope loop in the catch when I have things in the back that are to long to fit, so I can tie the lift gate down. The other end of the rope I tie to the hitch. To undo the rope I just pull on the lift gate "open" handle.

Anyway, closing the "catch" all the way (2 clicks), will turn off the interior lights as well as get rid of the hatch open warning...
This will work on the flipper glass as well as the lift gate.
Only thing you have to remember is to pull the "Open" handle, before you attempt to close the hatch.

Oh okay I see... so you are basically "closing the hatch" without actually closing it to keep it open without the sensor. That's helpful, thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:10 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Your welcome.
Yep you got it.
Closing the catch will close the sensor connection inside it. The sensor in the catch is what tells the computers to turn on the lights, and to turn on the ajar warning on the dash.

As a bonus, you now know an easy way to tie down the lift gate (with an easy way to release it quickly to get it open) if you ever need to...
They were the only Pics I had for the example. :wink:

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!