It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Frost on windows.....from the inside
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:38 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Has anyone else had a problem with the inside of thier windows frosting? Its been in the negative digits and I can't seem to fully understand why the inside of my car is frosting rather than the outside.

08 KK OEM skid plates, JK winch bumper w/ Hella 500s, K&N filter, JKS front discos, black out headlights w/ fogs added, blacked out & euro mod tail lights, Curt Hitch w/ oem wiring, OME Springs, JBA UCA & top plates, Cabin Filter Retro Fit, Custom Fender Mounted Light Mounts w/ Hella 500s, ATH roof bars, rear flush mount LEDs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:45 am 
LOST Member

Yes, we've had this problem several times over the last month or two. It's the humidity in the air combined with the cold temps, which is not adequately dealt with by the defrost fan. I've seen it recommended in a few places to try to turn on the A/C as that could reduce the humidity but so far I haven't noticed a difference.

You might want to check out this thread if you haven't already seen it: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... hp?t=38143

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Gimme Liberty wrote:
Yes, we've had this problem several times over the last month or two. It's the humidity in the air combined with the cold temps, which is not adequately dealt with by the defrost fan. I've seen it recommended in a few places to try to turn on the A/C as that could reduce the humidity but so far I haven't noticed a difference.

You might want to check out this thread if you haven't already seen it: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... hp?t=38143

Defrost automatically turns on the A/C. Actually in the KK's I think they force you to use the A/C in all modes except the pure face option. I know the A/C runs in almost every option in the 05+ kj's which is purely stupid.

Which windows are frosting? The windshield or the side windows? I usually keep the vents by the windows pointed towards the windows to keep down fogging. If its on the windshield all you can do is use the pure defrost mode.

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:43 pm 
LOST Member

Jeepjeepster wrote:
Gimme Liberty wrote:

Defrost automatically turns on the A/C. Actually in the KK's I think they force you to use the A/C in all modes except the pure face option. I know the A/C runs in almost every option in the 05+ kj's which is purely stupid.

Which windows are frosting? The windshield or the side windows? I usually keep the vents by the windows pointed towards the windows to keep down fogging. If its on the windshield all you can do is use the pure defrost mode.

The side windows are frosting, as is the front windshield at the sides. Nothing short of absolutely baking people inside the Jeep helps to get rid of the frost.

As I mentioned in the other thread, it seems as though there are no vents at the extreme sides of the dashboard that blow air, even in full defrost mode, so on cold days it's a constant battle against old Jack Frost. Over the holidays I was driving 2 1/2 hours in some frigid weather and the whole time it was a choice between the defrost mode or cabin heat. The mix setting (defrost & foot level) was a poor compromise for both.

Some vehicles are worse than others for freezing up and/or being able to get rid of the frost. It appears Libertys are in the not so good category.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:35 pm 
LOST Member

Are you actually getting frost on the inside, or is it just fogged up?

I've never had frost on the inside, but yes the outer 4" or so of the front windshield do not de-fog very well... nothing that bothers me though. I do have to switch to the front dash vents and point them at the side windows once in a while to clear fog from them.

SOLD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Gimme Liberty wrote:
The side windows are frosting, as is the front windshield at the sides. Nothing short of absolutely baking people inside the Jeep helps to get rid of the frost.

As I mentioned in the other thread, it seems as though there are no vents at the extreme sides of the dashboard that blow air, even in full defrost mode, so on cold days it's a constant battle against old Jack Frost. Over the holidays I was driving 2 1/2 hours in some frigid weather and the whole time it was a choice between the defrost mode or cabin heat. The mix setting (defrost & foot level) was a poor compromise for both.

Some vehicles are worse than others for freezing up and/or being able to get rid of the frost. It appears Libertys are in the not so good category.

You mean KK's are not in the good category. :)

To defog my side windows I put it on face and point the vents towards the side windows. My windshield hardly ever fogs up but when I have it on face there is still enough air coming out of the windshield vents to keep things clear.

-Atlantic Blue
-Air Ride Rear Suspension ; OME/Rustys Lift ; Powertrax Locker ; Moog Lower Ball-Joints ; 245/70/16 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S's on MOABS ; Flowmaster 50 SUV
Lost #007082
http://www.cardomain.com/id/jeepjeepster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

The only thing that might get this fixed is if a lot of us take it to the dealership and complain about it..... Maybe if we're luckly we can get one more TSB or a recall. I filed a complaint with the nhtsa on their website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:54 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Oh mines not fog its frost... thick frost on every window. :(

08 KK OEM skid plates, JK winch bumper w/ Hella 500s, K&N filter, JKS front discos, black out headlights w/ fogs added, blacked out & euro mod tail lights, Curt Hitch w/ oem wiring, OME Springs, JBA UCA & top plates, Cabin Filter Retro Fit, Custom Fender Mounted Light Mounts w/ Hella 500s, ATH roof bars, rear flush mount LEDs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi! is this that this problem was fix in 2009?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:02 pm 
LOST Member

willvi wrote:
Hi! is this that this problem was fix in 2009?

Thanks!

That's what I get, and can get as much as 50% of the front side windows (driver and passenger) frosted up on the inside as well. On the upside, the heated side mirrors are apparently clean and frost free. Not that I can see them through the interior frost on my side window, though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:20 am 
LOST Member

Yeah that's pretty bad! I got fog in the same spot as that, but not actual frost on the inside. It was well below 0 all last week, with no frost. Maybe the humidity in the air has something to do with it, Chicago must be different then you're area.

SOLD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:29 am 
LOST Addict

It was 60 here to day 8) ...but yeah the window thing sucks

Jet Stage 2 - RL Gecko Basket Rack - Custom Winch Bumper - Recon 10.5K Winch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:38 am 
LOST Addict

it frosts inside the windows because of temp. change.. and moisture inside (wet floormats/carpet will do it). if you say.. wash your car with warm water and put it outside in the cold it will frost on the inside (we call it popsicle). the only way of preventing this is speeding up the temp equilibrium by cracking your windows 1/4 inch or so... air movement and closing the temperature gradient will limit ice :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:59 am 
LOST Member

2006 KJ wrote:
it frosts inside the windows because of temp. change.. and moisture inside (wet floormats/carpet will do it). if you say.. wash your car with warm water and put it outside in the cold it will frost on the inside (we call it popsicle). the only way of preventing this is speeding up the temp equilibrium by cracking your windows 1/4 inch or so... air movement and closing the temperature gradient will limit ice :)

I agree with what you're saying, and that is certainly why it's happening. I'd add to that something as simple as exhaling warm, moist air. However when it's -40 or colder outside, I'm not particularly interested in "closing the temperature gradient". Blowing warm air at the fog/frost will cause it to disappear (evaporate, etc.) but in the case of the Liberty the fans are insufficient and/or aimed poorly, so it's not possible to easily get rid of the build-up. Short of turning on the heat full-blast and leaving it there, at which point occupants are winding down the window because it's so hot.

Anyway, I think this will be something that we just have to learn to live with. I don't see a change being made any time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:08 pm 
LOST Member

How about using the accessory plug in the back seat and plugging in a hair dryer to take out any trouble spots?

Factory Tow Package
Alpine x001 Head Unit
Sirius Sat Radio
Garmin 265WT GPS
Interior LED Mod
225/75/16 General Grabber AT2's

Coming Soon . . .
1.5-2.5" lift and someone needs to find me some black wheels . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

zoso7374 wrote:
How about using the accessory plug in the back seat and plugging in a hair dryer to take out any trouble spots?

the inverter will not run anything that powerful.

So
ipods and cell chargers? yes

drills and hair dryers? no

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:50 pm 
LOST Member

Quote:
the inverter will not run anything that powerful.

Also - Vaccum Cleaner = no go - too bad too, would've been nice to run a smallish car vaccum without a 30' extension cord.

I haven't had the frost problem on mine (and we have had -40C in Calgary here in December... but I'm in a garage now. :D

My fiance and I bought a HOUSE and moved out of our downtown condo in Sept... wow I'm glad to have my first Garage!!!! :D :roll: :D

Sorry - just had to brag a bit there. But in my older cars - I'd just start it with the heat cranked, and let it run for 5 minutes or so. melt it all out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:54 am 
LOST Member

Not to drag this on forever, but our Liberty is kept in an attached garage overnight and even during most days. The problems I've experienced have developed while driving - it was clear to start with and developed frost as we drove. Which would make it difficult to take out any trouble spots with a hair dryer, even if the AC outlook could handle one. ;)

Thankfully it's much warmer here (a balmy -9C/17F) here today so I haven't had any problems the past week or two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:50 am 
LOST Member

I had a problem again coming home from Chicago in a ice snow situation. The outer parts of the windshield I could not get the ice to melt on the outside. It was a real hazard and I had to pull over a couple of times just to scrape the ice off the windshield.
Has anyone noticed on the dash what appears to be vents molded in but is really just solid plastic above the air outlets? It seems like the perfect spot for addtional de-frost vents but they are just blank. If those had air coming out of them problem would be solved.

I just can't believe they did not test these and discover the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:54 am 
LOST Member

jeepxk wrote:
I had a problem again coming home from Chicago in a ice snow situation. The outer parts of the windshield I could not get the ice to melt on the outside. It was a real hazard and I had to pull over a couple of times just to scrape the ice off the windshield.
Has anyone noticed on the dash what appears to be vents molded in but is really just solid plastic above the air outlets? It seems like the perfect spot for addtional de-frost vents but they are just blank. If those had air coming out of them problem would be solved.

I just can't believe they did not test these and discover the problem.

That spot houses the small component speakers.

Factory Tow Package
Alpine x001 Head Unit
Sirius Sat Radio
Garmin 265WT GPS
Interior LED Mod
225/75/16 General Grabber AT2's

Coming Soon . . .
1.5-2.5" lift and someone needs to find me some black wheels . . .