It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Custom R&P
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:56 pm 
LOST Member

Sorry guys I'm gonna continue to bug you all until I figure out this issue. Has anyone tried anything custom with the rack and pinion? I know JeepnCrowd rebuilt the front end but I'm not willing to go that far. I'm taking it into Howe Performance Steering in SD on Monday. The owner didn't sound super confident he could do anything and he's never worked on a KK but he wanted to take a look at it. Is there ANYTHING I can do that doesn't involve a major rebuild? How hard could it be to make a stronger steering rack? I really don't want to get rid of my KK but I'm not willing to replace the R&P every time I offroad. Don't make me join the JK crowd like everyone else!!!

2011 KK Sport, Blacked out. JBA 4" Silver, Tire Carrier. 265/75/16 Duratracs. 16x7:4 AR172 Bajas. 4.56 Gears. RRO Super Sliders, Side Rails. Mopar Skids, Hooks. Curt Receiver. SC Brush Guards. RR Mats. Yakima/Bison Rack.

Post subject: Re: Custom R&P
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

Has anyone checked the pressure the pump is making? I am wondering if a pressure regulator could have failed and its making to much pressure and blowing the seals. I don't even know if the pump has a pressure regulator. I do know that most oil pumps have a pressure regulator,and I seen one fail and would blow the oil filter off.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The angle of the tie rod ends are the cause of continued seal blowouts.

You need a brand new rack,not a remaned.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:26 pm 
LOST Member

I had a brand new factory rack put in 2 months ago after the 1st one blew and that one only lasted through one trail before the seal busted again.

2011 KK Sport, Blacked out. JBA 4" Silver, Tire Carrier. 265/75/16 Duratracs. 16x7:4 AR172 Bajas. 4.56 Gears. RRO Super Sliders, Side Rails. Mopar Skids, Hooks. Curt Receiver. SC Brush Guards. RR Mats. Yakima/Bison Rack.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:14 am 
LOST Member

This is as far as I pushed it on the trail. Not like I was crawling huge rocks or anything. Image

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

[quote="tjkj2002"]The angle of the tie rod ends are the cause of continued seal blowouts
You maybe right,I am not totally convinced,but can see where that could cause the problem. I would think that there would be many on this sight with 4" lift having the same problem, but I don't see that post from others. If it is the drop of the tie rods, then maybe the mount at the spindle needs raised to make the tie rods straight,little to no drop. I have not looked at the back of the spindle to see if this would be possible.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:02 pm 
LOST Member

Met with the owner of Howe Steering in SD and he said there's nothing he can do for me. He specializes in desert racing. Just dropped it back off at the dealership, they're gonna bleed the system and see if that corrects the issues while turning. Long term I'm not sure what the solution is. I'm not willing to stop off-roading, that's the whole reason I built it. I'm gonna buy a spare rack and replace it myself next time if it happens again. Also left a message for Marlin at JBA to get his two cents. I could get a pretty good trade in offer towards a JK. Hope it doesn't come to that I've gotten pretty attatched to the Libby! I appreciate your guys input. Let me know if you have any other ideas!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

Back in my drag race days we used something called bump steer spacers to keep the tie rods aligned when the front end lifted at launch. Seems the same idea is used today on lowered trucks, but upside down from what we did. Would need different tie rod ends, but perhaps this may help the tie rod alignment issue.

JBA/OME 927 / 731
255/60R18 Hankook Dynapro AT-M

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:14 pm 
LOST Member

Guys dealership wants my car. They have some JKs already built on the lot. The solid axle sounds like heaven right now. What do I do?????

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:26 am 
LOST Member

The dealership that "can't fix your steering" wants it? I don't know about anybody else, but that sort of screams to me to go somewhere else to get it fixed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:58 am 
LOST Member

They can fix it. They fixed it twice. Problem is the factory steering rack is a POS and can't hold up offroad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:04 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

4" is too much for that weak front end. I'm barely at three and my cv's go out just about every year. I'm really getting tired of rebuilding the front suspension. If they're willing to give you a better than fair deal, take it and run. The thought has crossed my mind to build a TJ but a CJ with coilovers would be much better, no computer.

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:37 am 
LOST Member

Ted15 wrote:
4" is too much for that weak front end. I'm barely at three and my cv's go out just about every year. I'm really getting tired of rebuilding the front suspension. If they're willing to give you a better than fair deal, take it and run. The thought has crossed my mind to build a TJ but a CJ with coilovers would be much better, no computer.

Wish I would have known this before I lifted it. Worth holding out for the 2018 JL?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:47 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ElCuervo52 wrote:
Ted15 wrote:

Wish I would have known this before I lifted it. Worth holding out for the 2018 JL?

IDK, you still won't be able to figure anything out on it without a computer and anything electronic will need the dealer to update the obd. If it has a solid axle, and you don't mind the blight of new vehicles then it would probably be OK. I guess I'm a little bitter, I just replace my front bearings, both axles and the lower ball joints, again. The ball joints failed prematurely and we're under warranty (Moog) I put Timken bearings and aftermarket axles, not sure of the brand. Hopefully, they lasted longer than the oem stuff.

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

I would let the JL be out for a couple years before buying one. There will be kinks that need to be worked out.

But I doubt its parts will be any more durable :2cents:

2012 Bright white KK - Steelcraft black brushguard, painted black rims (didn't know it was so popular lol), 1" clevis lift in the front, RS Chip (woke her up!), magnaflow muffler + resonator delete and a few other small mods.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KrazyKK wrote:
I would let the JL be out for a couple years before buying one. There will be kinks that need to be worked out.

But I doubt its parts will be any more durable :2cents:

True

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:45 pm 
LOST Member

ElCuervo52 wrote:
They can fix it. They fixed it twice. Problem is the factory steering rack is a POS and can't hold up offroad.

Well heck, if they're gonna give ya deal, go for it!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:07 am 
LOST Addict

From the spy shots I've seen of the JL... I prefer the look of a JKU. A solid axle rig will handle everything you want more than our ifs rigs. But you give up on ride...and that's about it lol. The JKU has just as much, if not more room than our KKs. Hard top on, they're quieter than my sky slider equipped KK. If you're not taking too much of a hit, and you really want it (and can afford it) then jump ship to the JKU. Factory you can run 33x12.5s, want 35x12.5s? Flat fenders and some bumpstops, or throw a 2.5" lift in with stock flares. Wanna go big? 37s will fit on a 3.5" lift with flat fenders. Just remember you're playing big with these and need to beef up axles and of course regear, ESPECIALLY if it's a 3.21 factory JK...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:09 am 
LOST Member

I'm torn. At best I'll get 15k for the Libby to put down for a wrangler. That barely covers the cost of my after market mods for the KK. I've invested so much into thiss darn car I wish there was just a solution for the weak steering. Wish JBAs website would say "4 inch lift is great if you want to look badass and mall crawl while getting 10mpg, but if you take it off-road it falls apart".

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

ElCuervo52 wrote:
I'm torn. At best I'll get 15k for the Libby to put down for a wrangler. That barely covers the cost of my after market mods for the KK. I've invested so much into thiss darn car I wish there was just a solution for the weak steering. Wish JBAs website would say "4 inch lift is great if you want to look badass and mall crawl while getting 10mpg, but if you take it off-road it falls apart".

Man, many of us feel your pain in one way or another with our KK's.

I have a strong love/hate relationship with mine.

I wanted to trade in my 2012 Sport when she was at 65k miles because problems suddenly started rearing their ugly heads quickly (torque converter failure, front axles pooping out on me, and countless other intermittent problems) and it was costing me way too much money (in my mind) for a 5 year old vehicle (and I do all my work myself... no dealerships!)...

I was quoted under $10,000 to trade in on a 2016 Chevy Colorado and my KK is very well taken care of with minimal rust (the undercarriage is where I have some rust) for the East Coast. Flawless interior. Flawless paint. Clean engine bay... you get it. Needless to say I couldn't do $10k and here I am with the KK sitting at nearly 70k miles and wondering when the next problem is going to pop up - because it will. I just said screw it - I'll keep her until I can't fix her anymore and I am no longer impartial to junkyard parts :lol:

Also, for your sake, please keep in mind the guys who take the Wranglers offroad usually upgrade the steering in them too. This is not a cheap hobby and broken OEM parts are a part of Wrangler life too. There are much more after-market options for the Wrangler though which must make life much easier, haha. Nothing looks like a JKU, either!

2012 Bright white KK - Steelcraft black brushguard, painted black rims (didn't know it was so popular lol), 1" clevis lift in the front, RS Chip (woke her up!), magnaflow muffler + resonator delete and a few other small mods.