It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What years manual trans will work in a KK Jeep
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:08 pm 
LOST Member

I may have found an 06 Liberty 4x4 manual trans setup and am wondering if this is the same trans that was used in the 08 Liberty. Will it bolt onto the electronic transfer case? How hard to use manual shift transfer case in an 09? Im hoping its the six speed trans. Seller hasnt replied back yet.

Post subject: Re: What years manual trans will work in a KK Jeep
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:33 pm 
LOST Member

From what little I have found its the same from 05 up, so looks like it should work ok.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

NSG-370 6 speed Manual trany is used in the 05- 07 KJ, 08 KK, and the 07 KA(Nitro).
Make sure it is from a 4x4 or you will be replacing the forward housing (different length).
EDIT: I just dug through the parts manuals I have... It looks like the forward housing is the same (5159142AA)except for the diesel engine.

If you are thinking an auto trany to manual trany swap, not sure how the electronics will like the manual trany. Most likely the rig will go into "limp mode", because the computers can not find the auto trany, or the auto trany sensors...
I doubt you can get Jeep Corp to rebuild your "build", for the computers, to recognize a manual trany install. Even if they would/could do it, you would have to redo the wiring harnesses.

An NVG-231 out of an 07 KK will bolt up to the NSG-370 manual trany.
But, you will also run into the same problem with a manually (cable actuated) X-fer case. The computers will be looking for the original X-fer case position sensors. The manual X-fer case does not have the same wires or sensors as the electronic X-fer case.

If you can conquer the above, then you are looking at custom drive/prop shafts, both front and rear because the manual X-fer case uses different U joints.

Then you have to regear your Diffs. The manual trany 08 KK and 07 KA builds use 3.21 Diffs.

Anything can be done, but the question is how much $ are you willing to spend to get it done...?

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:29 pm 
LOST Member

I was hoping the auto 09 transfer case would work on the manual trans. I will probably wait to try the swap once the automatic dies. I have 3.73 gears but have 245/75/17 mud tires on it so it would probably come out similar. Ill probably end up getting it lifted with taller wider tites later. I just hate automatics.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:07 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ah, I did not understand that you were planning on keeping the X-fer case, way you worded it.
The 08 KK manual trany and 08 auto trany use different X-fer case part #'s. I believe it has to do with length. They also use different prop shafts, front and rear.

The bigest issue will be the computers not seeing the auto trany anymore.

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:26 pm 
LOST Member

Update.

Never heard back from the other guy. I pretty much gave up on the swap, but now have found an 07 nitro complete for 400 bucks. Id have everything Id need mechanically to do the swap. Im hoping the 09 transfer case will physically bolt up, I can then use the stock drive selector to switch in and out of 4wd, if the computer wont let me then I have found a guy on you tube that
Converted a 2wd kk to 4wd and he wired uo a switch to do it manually. As far as driveshaft lengths, Ill be using the nitro shafts. I can get sensored word u joints if tgeres a difference though. Im hoping the speedo sending unit has the same plug or cam be swapped also(if its in transfer case and i reuse my original it will be great). Ill bypass the nuetral safety switch and use the clutch switch to prevent starting in gear, or not bother since Im the only one driving it and wint be selling it.
If it doesnt work, Im only 400 into it and can sell parts of the vehicle off for a profit. I was hoping someone had tried it before so I knew for sure if it even works or what to do to make it work. Geuss I may be the Guinea pig. I wont cut things up or similar until I know it will function so I can at leadt put it back to original if needed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:55 am 
LOST Member

Not sure if you started yet, but the nitro is a tad longer so the prop shaft might be different. You'll also need the PCM from the manual truck since the one from the automatic will set a ton of codes.

Numerous junkyard upgrades

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:35 pm 
LOST Member

ajohns1288 wrote:
Not sure if you started yet, but the nitro is a tad longer so the prop shaft might be different. You'll also need the PCM from the manual truck since the one from the automatic will set a ton of codes.

I havent started yet, will be a while. I figured the rear driveshaft would be a little longer due to wheelbase being 2 inchs longer on the Nitro. I also am figuring out the computer stuff. Ill need to make a switch to fake the auto trans shifter position to switch into the 4wd modes. That should be ok. Still have to get around the 2 speed sensors prevent more codes. Really wont bother me anyway since I have codes for bad cats and the light doesnt bug me. Fortunately I have the complete nitro to work with. Ill swap yokes on the driveshaft onto my 09 if they are different. I have a parts manual for an 08 kk, they use pictures of the nitro in it, lol, lots of mechanical stuff is the same according to the book. Transfer case should swap out fine, no differences.