It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bouncing rear end new OME 1.5
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:26 pm 
LOST Member

You all are considering the same options I am. I have had a second alignment done and it did read the same. A long time ago I was wheeling up a good incline steep on both sides as well. There was a bid AS* sharp rock in my way being inexperienced i went hard and fast the rock bit a small chunk of the rim and blew the tire. suspension was already sof so I never "felt" the wobble. I was however, chasing a wawawawawa noise for a long time. My tires were cupping. I took it to get aligned and it was so far out for so long that it was actually pulling straight. I couldnt afford new tires at the time and the cupped ones still had a ton of life left. so I lived with the noise. Flash forward a few years of personal life sh*t and I has some extra cash so I get the OME lift. I installed the fronts first and drove about a week. Everything was great! As soon as I installed the rear springs and shock the ride was super bouncy(un down side to side just enough to piss you off). I researched a ton and found I had stock length ome shock. BOOM that must be the issue (I never correlated the wawawa to the bouncy because it didnt feel the same at first). I called up JBA and they rushed out new extended length OME shocks 2 months later...I finally installed them and thought the bounce was gone. It wasnt. It was minimized but it also changed. the up and down bounce was gone; now it was all side to side wobble. Yesterday I was reading random forums at work and found a guy complaining about a squeaky break. Read the whole story and it was almost exactly the same as mine. I pulled out my alignment sheets and bam! rear wheel is out! I mentioned this to my wife and she was like "oh yeah I saw your wheel wobbling a little when i was driving next to you" a little late. so here we are and this is what I'm thinking now.

If the housing or housing flange was bent there would be constant rub between the shaft and housing/flange right? I guess depending on how bent it could be, it could apply enough constant pressure throwing off the shaft off a bit.... I imagine this would need to be a bend great enough to see it my just looking at it.

Now if the shaft or shaft flange is bent that would cause a definite wobble like the one I have and you would be less likely to see the bend but just looking......

What do you all think now?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:01 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
The first thing I would want to check is if it's the wheel or the axle. Jack up the one with the wobble, block the others, and let it idle in gear. Measure the runout as best you can. Even just visually get a feel for it.
Remove that wheel and swap it for the spare or the front one of the same side. Run it again. If the wobble is still there, it's the axle. If not, it;s the wheel.

Either way, that runout could account for the bad toe reading.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:39 pm 
LOST Member

Well I swapped the axle and I'm still bouncing. Im thinking I might have a shop take a look then decide if it worth it. I plan on ath bumpers someday. Maybe the added weight will soften it up a bit. There is still a wobble at the axle flange which means the housing must be bent somewhere. short of replacing the whole axle im out of ideas to fix this one. If I jack up the wheel you can see it going up and down about 3/4in. If I remove the wheel you can see the rotor wobbling and you can hear the pad going rub.rub.rub. If I remove the caliper and rotor I can still see the wobble. what the hell could cause a wobble like this....... It seems like if the housing was bent i would have a constant rub and not really a wobble.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:33 am 
LOST Newbie

Hmm, suspensions under great stress can bounce a car. Take the rear sway bar off too. If it is installed upside down, it will bounce things. Trust me on this.
Some lift kits on GM truck tell you to get longer sway bar links so the bar isnt stressed.. Check front too, make sure ends look level when car is on ground..
And, if shocks are broken, car will bounce too.
I know this is extreme, but, it doesnt take much.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

brianb1998 wrote:
Well I swapped the axle and I'm still bouncing. Im thinking I might have a shop take a look then decide if it worth it. I plan on ath bumpers someday. Maybe the added weight will soften it up a bit. There is still a wobble at the axle flange which means the housing must be bent somewhere. short of replacing the whole axle im out of ideas to fix this one. If I jack up the wheel you can see it going up and down about 3/4in. If I remove the wheel you can see the rotor wobbling and you can hear the pad going rub.rub.rub. If I remove the caliper and rotor I can still see the wobble. what the hell could cause a wobble like this....... It seems like if the housing was bent i would have a constant rub and not really a wobble.

That says to me the new axle is bent also. Did you replace the inner and outer bearings on that side as well? When you had the Diff apart did the inner part of the axle have any play?
Do you have hub centric wheels? The OEM wheels hub bore hole just fits over the end of the axle. Some after market wheels require a centering ring to make them fit properly.

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:09 pm 
LOST Member

I didnt do the bearings, they looked and felt good. there is no play other that a VERY tiny in and out movement, maybe a 16th of an inch.... didnt notice any play in the diff. for the last questions Im not sure I'm understanding. The rear doesnt really have a hub like the front. The rear shaft slides through the rear wheel bearing and seal and into the housing. I would assume I have hub-centric since the are the ome wheels.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:18 pm 
LOST Member

it is still a very good possibility that is the freeway. I have yet to find a smooth enough road that i can drive 5mph on.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

OEM wheels are hub centric. So that is not the issue.

FYI If you look at the wheel when installed, you will see the "center bore" (name of the large hole in the center of a wheel) just fits over the small protruding center part of the axle(hub). Some aftermarket wheels have a larger "center bore". When those wheels are installed there is a space between the bore and the small protruding center part of the axle.
Because of this, the wheel can get off center when installed (if you are not using a centering ring). Causing the wheel to bounce when your driving.

Jack the rear off the ground, remove the wheel/tire. Then rotate the axle. When you look at the middle of the small protruding center part of the axle, while the axle is turning, there should be no up/down or oblong movement. If there is, the axle is bent (since you have no other play issues).
The slight in/out movement of the axle is normal.

Now install the tire/wheel. Again rotate the axle. Look at the outer part of the wheel (lip) where it meets the tire. Again there should be little to no up/down or oblong movement. If there is, the wheel is bent.

ESP Off Switch
Take a ride on the Trō side!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:40 pm 
LOST Member

I tried all that but I am going to try it again but with every wheel. Thanks man!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:46 pm 
LOST Member

Hey so if I had a bad enough bend on the flange to be felt while driving wouldnt I have brake drag? After a stop and go drive none of the wheels were hotter than the others.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

Can ya get someone to drive next to you and look at your wheels?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:50 pm 
LOST Member

Cant get someone next to me as it is noticeable in rush hour traffic on the freeway. But, I have decided its related to stiff springs now.... :juggle: so I bought some skyjacker springs. Supposedly rated same as stock so I will know soon enough.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

Arent the springs matched to the shocks? Is that not how the package comes?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:03 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

brianb1998 wrote:
Cant get someone next to me as it is noticeable in rush hour traffic on the freeway. But, I have decided its related to stiff springs now.... :juggle: so I bought some skyjacker springs. Supposedly rated same as stock so I will know soon enough.

Not going to change anything , OME and JBAs are all about the same rating

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:20 pm 
LOST Member

Why would you think that? The load rating on OME is 240lbs/in and the for the syjacker soft rides are 187.4/in. there has to be more give with the lower rating right?