It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The KK is on Life Support
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:58 pm 
LOST Member

Just got the car back from the dealership today. New pump and remanned rack installed. Drove it about 30 miles directly to offroad warehouse, who installed the lift. The first left turn on cold start is still giving me a loud grinding noise and wheels lock up for half a second, then doesn't happen again for the rest of the drive. This is the same thing that was happening when I took it in a few weeks ago, and the dealership told me the rack was leaking already and that was probably the cause. I'm wondering if that noise even has anything to do with the steering rack. Seems like it could be ABS or something. ORW is looking at it now to see if they can figure anything out. At the very least I'm gonna have them retorque everthing to hopefully take care of the squeaking. But they are as confused as I am. ESC light comes on after that grinding noise as well. But as of now, no leaking coming from the steering and steering response seems fine other than the brief grinding.

2011 KK Sport, Blacked out. JBA 4" Silver, Tire Carrier. 265/75/16 Duratracs. 16x7:4 AR172 Bajas. 4.56 Gears. RRO Super Sliders, Side Rails. Mopar Skids, Hooks. Curt Receiver. SC Brush Guards. RR Mats. Yakima/Bison Rack.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sounds like your ESP is going wacky which is common for the higher lifted KK's due to more body sway.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:51 pm 
LOST Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
Sounds like your ESP is going wacky which is common for the higher lifted KK's due to more body sway.

And what do I do about that? ORW just aligned it and retorqued bolts and steering is tighter and much less squeaking on the front end but there is still a bunch of noise going over speed bumps etc. ESC light is still on And wheels continue to lock up on left turns.

2011 KK Sport, Blacked out. JBA 4" Silver, Tire Carrier. 265/75/16 Duratracs. 16x7:4 AR172 Bajas. 4.56 Gears. RRO Super Sliders, Side Rails. Mopar Skids, Hooks. Curt Receiver. SC Brush Guards. RR Mats. Yakima/Bison Rack.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Lower lift to no more then 2.5",keep same height but would need very heavy coils and rollbars added,disable ABS systems(all the lights will be on in the IC at all times)or return to stock.The issue is the gyro detects more body roll/vehicle height and false activating the ESP.

There is no fix for the ESP for KK's,there is for JK's/XJ's/WJ's but the only company that makes tuners to adjust the ESP system for Jeeps(AEV) already stated years ago they will not make one for the KJ/KK due to low demand.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:50 pm 
LOST Member

Why does it only happen after cold start though? Wheels lock for the 1st left turn and then doesn't happen again until I restart the car.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

You could make an ESP killswitch like Scar0 but for the love of god please don't take it to another shop and pay somebody to do that.

I think it's time to get a little more hands on with your Jeep and stop shelling out $$$ to dealerships who truly will not know any more about the KK than anybody on this website. :?

I had a similar sounding problem (similar is keyword here)... and it turned out to be my rear brake rotors, ebrake shoes, rear calipers and rear brakes would get sticky every now and then in the morning and lock the wheels up on me and make awful noises while setting off my ESP (until the binding rust ridge would break). The thing that fixed it for me was replacing the rear brake rotors, ebrake shoes , pads, and taking a wire brush and a crap ton of PB blaster to every surface I could find and bleeding the brakes (luckily for me my calipers were not seized like others have suffered).

Mind you I live in the North East and I literally had to beat my brake rotors with a deadblow hammer for nearly 30 minutes EACH to get them off. I am guessing in CA that level of corrosion is not your problem but it could be worth looking into.

But just putting that idea out there. tjkj2002 knows his stuff and is probably right :2cents:

Try taking pictures of things and posting them for us. People will chime in and help - and it won't cost you $1 ! Let us see your front suspension, your rear suspension, steering linkage, etc - I'm sure one of us will notice something!

2012 Bright white KK - Steelcraft black brushguard, painted black rims (didn't know it was so popular lol), 1" clevis lift in the front, RS Chip (woke her up!), magnaflow muffler + resonator delete and a few other small mods.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:28 pm 
LOST Member

KrazyKK wrote:
You could make an ESP killswitch like Scar0 but for the love of god please don't take it to another shop and pay somebody to do that.

I think it's time to get a little more hands on with your Jeep and stop shelling out $$$ to dealerships who truly will not know any more about the KK than anybody on this website. :?

I had a similar sounding problem (similar is keyword here)... and it turned out to be my rear brake rotors, ebrake shoes, rear calipers and rear brakes would get sticky every now and then in the morning and lock the wheels up on me and make awful noises while setting off my ESP (until the binding rust ridge would break). The thing that fixed it for me was replacing the rear brake rotors, ebrake shoes , pads, and taking a wire brush and a crap ton of PB blaster to every surface I could find and bleeding the brakes (luckily for me my calipers were not seized like others have suffered).

Mind you I live in the North East and I literally had to beat my brake rotors with a deadblow hammer for nearly 30 minutes EACH to get them off. I am guessing in CA that level of corrosion is not your problem but it could be worth looking into.

But just putting that idea out there. tjkj2002 knows his stuff and is probably right :2cents:

Try taking pictures of things and posting them for us. People will chime in and help - and it won't cost you $1 ! Let us see your front suspension, your rear suspension, steering linkage, etc - I'm sure one of us will notice something!

Thanks for the post. Regardless of what it is I cannot spend another dime on labor. Whatever needs to be done it will have to be myself. I have very limited mechanical experience but I'm capable and a fast learner once I put my mind to it. I'm sure I don't have all the tools I need to start taking things apart thought so I'll have to start there. I'll post a bunch of pictures tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:51 pm 
LOST Member

She sure is a beauty, it would be a shame if I couldn't get it working. Like I mentioned before this vehicle will no longer be a daily driver so this gives me some flexibility to turn it into a project. I just can't afford to dump any more money into it. Image

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:54 pm 
LOST Member

32's lookin good Image

Initially there looked to be some camber of the front passenger side wheel but it's looking pretty dead on after getting it aligned yesterday Image

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:02 pm 
LOST Member

Front end Driver side. My phone is level here so that's about the true angle of the tie rods. I've blow seals twice on this side of the rack. Tie rods are at a pretty good angle but the guys at ORW say they've working on much steeping angles that held up. CV angles don't look that bad either. Image

Passenger side. 1st time the rack went out was a blown seal on this side. Image

Driver side wheel looking nice and straight too. Image

Last edited by ElCuervo52 on Wed May 17, 2017 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:09 pm 
LOST Member

Drivers side UCA Image

Passenger side Image

Rear End Image

Had to Trim the pinch weld to fit the 32s at 3.5 inches. Just barely clears at full turn. Image

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:28 pm 
LOST Member

Last but not least, here's the new ride that my GF will be taking to work. Get's a little better mpg than the KK. Image

Let me know if there are any other angles you guys want to see. As of now steering seems good w/ no leaks. Brand new pump and remanned rack are in. Had it aligned as well. Right now the issue is grinding noise and wheel locking after cold start on my first left turn, and then not again until next start up. Never happens on R turn, also doesn't seem to happen if I let the engine idle for 10 min before driving, or if I'm not required to make a L turn after startup. On start up, TPS light comes one along w/ change oil code (even though oil is good). ESC light is not on at startup. As I turn left after startup I hear faint puttering underneath and then as I'm bringing the steering wheel back straight that's when the loud grinding noise happens and wheels lock up for a half second, sometimes it happens again very briefly a couple more times as I start accelerating after that 1st left turn. After this happens, that's when the ESC light comes on and stays on until I turn the car off. After the initial grinding and light comes on, no problems whatsoever as long as I don't turn the car off. After having the engine on for 20 min, I drove all around a parking lot making turns and I could not get it to happen again unless I turned the car off. I tried pressing traction control button to off before driving but that didn't change anything. I'm confused why it only happens w/ cold start and only 1st left turn. And interesting that if I let the car idle or if I start up and just have to drive straight or go R for first quarter mile it doesn't happen at all. Looking forward to hearing what you guys think!

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:14 pm 
LOST Member

Front wheel bearings tight? Any slop? If the bearing gets worn put enough, it may cause a grinding noise and may set the esp light. Jack up each wheel and gram the tire on to and bottom and try to rock the wheel. If theres any play it needs a new hub assembly.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:24 am 
LOST Member

So today I found that the grinding/wheel locking does not happen in 4wd. If I start the car up and immediately put in 4wd, I can turn left with no issues. In 4wd the ESP light will still come on after about 10 seconds of driving. At that point, I can switch to 2wd and no issues for the remainder of the drive. So it seems like something happens on startup with the ESP but I'm able to bypass these issues by starting the drive in 4wd and then switching to 2wd.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:02 pm 
LOST Member

Have you guys given up on me? Lol

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:50 pm 
LOST Addict

Definitely haven't given up on you! :lol: I personally have no idea why the ESP is behaving that way in your Jeep, but I'm still interesed and checking the thread. Hoping for good news for you.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:13 pm 
LOST Member

It's probably worth noting that the ESP light first came on when I hit a rock on the trail on the drivers side wheel. Not sure if that could have jarred something loose. Is there a way to reset the computer? For now starting in 4wd is the only solution I've come up with.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:45 am 
LOST Addict

Is it the speed sensors that control our ABS? I forget. Maybe you damaged one of those, I'm not sure.

Btw, am I the only one who can't see the pics? They don't work for me.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:13 am 
LOST Addict

The pictures don't show up for me either.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

Pictures don't work for me either.

2012 Bright white KK - Steelcraft black brushguard, painted black rims (didn't know it was so popular lol), 1" clevis lift in the front, RS Chip (woke her up!), magnaflow muffler + resonator delete and a few other small mods.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next