It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The KK is on Life Support
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:50 pm 
LOST Member

Dealership says they will replace the rack one last time. They're telling me that there's no problem with the pump or pressure but again these guys are not the sharpest. Should I have them just replace the steering pump anyway?

2011 KK Sport, Blacked out. JBA 4" Silver, Tire Carrier. 265/75/16 Duratracs. 16x7:4 AR172 Bajas. 4.56 Gears. RRO Super Sliders, Side Rails. Mopar Skids, Hooks. Curt Receiver. SC Brush Guards. RR Mats. Yakima/Bison Rack.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:56 am 
LOST Newbie

Surely if you don't you can only expect the issue to return. Advice from guys in this forum seems reasonably logical. Even Marlin is suggesting it's a pressure issue. Replacing the pump & valve would be far easier than stripping off all your mods to resell and if the issue is found to be resolved the dealer can cover it. In my case I only blew racks due to the weak mounts and yeah I was pushing the limits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:19 pm 
LOST Member

So here the deal:

Dealership is willing to replace the rack under warranty one more time BUT only if I pay for the steering pump. I asked if they would just replace the rack again but the mechanic told me he was only able to get Chrysler to agree to cover the rack install again as part of a package deal with the steering pump. Problem is they are quoting me 850$ for parts and labor for pump install! (500$ for brand new pump, the rest labor). Seems pretty steep to me but as I've mentioned before I don't have much mechanical experience and I'd rather avoid having to do these replacements myself if I can (although if the rack goes again that's what I'll have to do.) I also confirmed with the mechanic that these are Remanned rack going in. I asked if we could get a hold on a brand new rack but he said that he is only able to get remanned racks from his parts supplier. Obviously I'd prefer a new rack but the only way to get that would be order myself online and the dealership wouldn't cover labor for install on this part. As of right now we're going through with replacing the steering rack again with a remanned rack, and installing brand new steering pump. This is becoming a real money pit.

2011 KK Sport, Blacked out. JBA 4" Silver, Tire Carrier. 265/75/16 Duratracs. 16x7:4 AR172 Bajas. 4.56 Gears. RRO Super Sliders, Side Rails. Mopar Skids, Hooks. Curt Receiver. SC Brush Guards. RR Mats. Yakima/Bison Rack.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I don't think there is a difference between 3.7 PS pumps but I got my brand new PS pump from the dealership(res and pulley installed and not a remaned) for $140 when I did my SFA swap 7 some years ago.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:52 pm 
LOST Member

I'm sure I can get a better deal elsewhere but at this point they have it so it just gonna go through with it. How likely is it that the steering pump is even the problem though? Are remaned racks inferior to new? at this point I'm expecting the worst. I'm gonna buy a new rack online to have ready to go if and when this rack goes. In talking to Marlin he mentioned he's had a few customers run into problems with the steering rack on lifted KKs, but practically no problems with the KJs he's lifted (and they've lifted a lot more KJs). We were wondering if we could swap a KJ rack into the KK?

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:57 am 
LOST Addict

I think reman is ok. That's what I got for my KJ and knock on wood, it didn't blow out on me in a week. :SOMBRERO: Most people get remans.

It sounds like a pressure issue to me. IDK how different a KK's rack is, but with KJs I've never seen someone blow one out unless it's really old. I've them break the mounting tabs off though. Have pics of the KK rack?
https://www.ultimatepowersteering.com.a ... -04-12-07/

Found this. Not the solution to your issue but I don't see how that would work on a KJ rack. So I think they're different.

2015 KL Limited

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:35 pm 
LOST Member

I'm taking it back into offroad warehouse next week, they want to look at it to see if they can help figure out why this is happening. Is there anything they could have royally screwed up with the lift install that would cause the steering to fail? They are also going to look into the possibility of swapping for a KJ rack. Once I get it back from the dealership with the new pump and rack and I'll post some pics under the car so you guys can see if anything looks funky. Hoping the pump was the issue.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 8:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

How long ago did they install the lift for you? If it's been a year or two I kinda doubt their install is causing your issues. I wonder if they installed the UCA's on the wrong sides though.

2012 Bright white KK - Steelcraft black brushguard, painted black rims (didn't know it was so popular lol), 1" clevis lift in the front, RS Chip (woke her up!), magnaflow muffler + resonator delete and a few other small mods.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:24 pm 
LOST Addict

KrazyKK wrote:
How long ago did they install the lift for you? If it's been a year or two I kinda doubt their install is causing your issues. I wonder if they installed the UCA's on the wrong sides though.

My thoughts exactly. I wonder if the tie rods are more likely to hit the A-arms on full extension/compression while turning?

Here's a useful thread that addresses which way the A-arms should be installed. The links to the pics are broken, but the written description is still useful.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=72982

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

Last edited by lfhoward on Wed May 03, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:27 pm 
LOST Addict

Also, here is a link to the "KJ steering rack in a KK" thread over on JF, in case anything new gets posted there that we don't have here.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f292/kj-steering-rack-kk-4061682/

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:48 pm 
LOST Member

They installed the lift 6 months ago. I'll take a look at the arms when I get it back.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ElCuervo52 wrote:
They installed the lift 6 months ago. I'll take a look at the arms when I get it back.

Your alignment would be very out of adjustment and could not even get close to being "in" and the fact the bumpstops would not be inline with the balljoint.

If I remember right from the KK's left/right specific UCA's you'd have negitive caster in the 10-15+ degree area.It would be uncontrollable.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:03 pm 
LOST Member

What do you guys think of swapping in a KJ rack? Possible? Anything I should have offroad warehouse looking for when I take it in? I've noticed since installing the lift my front end makes a TON of noise. Not too bad on road but offroad there's loud squeaking and clacking every time the wheels articulate. I'm assuming it's the A arms and/or coils. Anyone else had his experience w/ JBA? New pump and rack should be in tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:00 am 
LOST Member

Shouldnt be any noisier than the stock suspension when it was new. Something is loose or seized up.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:36 am 
LOST Addict

The front end should be absolutely silent with JBA. The rear end will be silent if you went with the Steinjager track bar ends with the bushings, but it may clack a bit if you went with heim joints.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:25 pm 
LOST Member

I'll have them double check everything. Did they just not tighten everything enough? I just hope the rack holds up for the drive to the shop. Taking it straight from the dealership to offroad warehouse on Monday (30 miles). What are the thoughts on the KJ rack swap guys?

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:36 pm 
LOST Addict

On the KJ rack swap it's hard to know without seeing them side by side. If the mounting brackets aren't in the right place, then you're looking at having to fabricate something.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:39 pm 
LOST Addict

On the suspension noise, they need to torque everything down with the weight of the vehicle on it. If they torqued the bolts down with the Jeep in the air and the wheels hanging, then that sometimes causes noises even though everything was installed correctly.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:05 pm 
LOST Member

The nightmare continues! Dealership said they were installing the new pump and realized it had been damaged in shipping. Now they have to source and ship a new pump! Yayy!! Add another 2 weeks at the rate they move. :banghead:

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 2:03 pm 
LOST Member

Had a ton of popping and clunking on my newly installed OME. lf is absolutely correct. I loosened and re-torqued with the wheels on the ground and all noises stopped. I waited a while because I was remembering how much of a pain mine was to install. Once I went to work it only took 10 minutes. there is plenty of room to access all the bolts and nuts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next