It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: tranny temp warning light while on beach?
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

yesterday while on the local beach that has soft deep sand. I went about 5 miles out then half way back the temp light for the tranny came on. has anyone else had that happen? what should I look for as far as why? I've been on this beach several times before without incidents. I was driving in 4 high, track control off and 20 LBS of tire pressure. picture is from yesterday

Post subject: Re: tranny temp warning light while on beach?
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

Both of my 08's have done this. pull over and slight rev in neutral until the light goes out. It only does it in 4wd hi on slow gradual climbs.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

thank you for the reply Teastley! a guess it's not to much to be concerned about then. Kinda bugged me out. I hate having to get a tranny done! they are never the same after!

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Use 4low for sand.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:59 am 
LOST Addict

Where on Long Island are you? My tranny runs warm on the beach, but never to the point of the light coming on. I'm also running 31s, and only sometimes air down. BUT I also shift the tranny myself on the beach. 90% of the time I make her hold 1st or 2nd so she doesn't hunt for gears or anything. 2nd really only gets used over 25-30mph.

4Low might help you keep her cooler, but just be sure you keep the speed down.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:14 am 
LOST Newbie

You need to air down more 20lb is not enough. Need to go to at least 15lb. No need for 4Lo, the added torque will just dig you in. Just lock out OD and hold it in a lower gear.

JBA/OME 927 / 731
255/60R18 Hankook Dynapro AT-M

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:10 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If 20 pounds keeps you from digging in you're OK. Especially with low profile tires. As stated above, 4lo and keep the OD off. Check your fluid, mine was very burnt at 80000 miles. Don't go to a place that flushes. Just drop the pan, replace the filter and put eight quarts of ATF +4 in.

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:34 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

442stu wrote:
You need to air down more 20lb is not enough. Need to go to at least 15lb. No need for 4Lo, the added torque will just dig you in. Just lock out OD and hold it in a lower gear.

YOu have no idea what gear multiplication does and how it keeps your trans cooler.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:53 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
442stu wrote:

YOu have no idea what gear multiplication does and how it keeps your trans cooler.

:BINGO:

2010 KK Deep Water Blue,OME Liftplus 1",JBA 5.5 UCA ,Dynaflow cat back exhaust, Weathertech VV & mats,Mopar skids,Atthehelm front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 10, Rigid LED's,RL Skink Supersliders,Gecko Safari Basket Detroit Truetrac rear, E-Locker front, G2, Dana 4.10's

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

Bmxer524 wrote:
Where on Long Island are you? My tranny runs warm on the beach, but never to the point of the light coming on. I'm also running 31s, and only sometimes air down. BUT I also shift the tranny myself on the beach. 90% of the time I make her hold 1st or 2nd so she doesn't hunt for gears or anything. 2nd really only gets used over 25-30mph.

4Low might help you keep her cooler, but just be sure you keep the speed down.

I'm in Medford , and I was at smiths point! thanks for the Advice. I never thought i would have to worry about the tranny temp since it seemed like the truck was doing ok in the sand. some spots were rougher then others but it seemed like it wasn't really bogging down. I guess I need to learn the newer type 6 cylinders. My old 8's just powered through like butter!

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for all the help everyone! I need to adjust my beach habits :D

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 5:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

tjkj2002 wrote:
442stu wrote:

*&^^&* off. You in colorado have no idea what is necessary to drive on our sugar sand beaches. I know all about gear multiplication, but it's not necessary if you air down properly. 4Lo will only increase rpms which increases heat, especially at low speeds since there is not enough air flow. The torque multiplication applied to the wheels will cause them to spin more and just dig you in to the sand more. Best is to keep airing down until you can let off the gas and coast a bit.

JBA/OME 927 / 731
255/60R18 Hankook Dynapro AT-M

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

442stu wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
442stu wrote:

*&^^&* off. You in colorado have no idea what is necessary to drive on our sugar sand beaches. I know all about gear multiplication, but it's not necessary if you air down properly. 4Lo will only increase rpms which increases heat, especially at low speeds since there is not enough air flow. The torque multiplication applied to the wheels will cause them to spin more and just dig you in to the sand more. Best is to keep airing down until you can let off the gas and coast a bit.

Little testy aren't we.

Higher engine rpm's does not mean more heat,means less stress which equals less heat.You will not be spinning the wheels more in 4low unless your redlining it at 5600rpm all the time.

Don't think you understand at all.

Plus I do live,now, in Colorado and wheel at 10,000+ feet and never venture off the road unless in 4low and my low range is over twice as low as a KK with even less airflow(thin air at high altitude) and never have any issues with heat.

And just to let you know we also have sand dunes here and I've had the my KJ on many beaches on the west coast.

The only thing you have right is to air down but if your running P metric tires anything below 20psi is bad,you need LT tires to go lower and not damage the tires.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:31 am 
LOST Addict

As far as they're saying about airing down, I run anywhere from 12-20psi. Sometimes 25, sometimes I keep her at the 35 I run my duratracs at. It all depends on the day, traffic, temperature, and when and how hard the last rain was

4low won't spin the tires if you're easy on the gas. But if you don't have the best throttle control....it'll dig you in real quick.

I've never been out to smiths. I heard it's nice. Problem is I'm looking at an hour ride to get out there. I'm in Lindenhurst/Babylon. I normally head to demo or sore thumb.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

Bmxer524 wrote:
As far as they're saying about airing down, I run anywhere from 12-20psi. Sometimes 25, sometimes I keep her at the 35 I run my duratracs at. It all depends on the day, traffic, temperature, and when and how hard the last rain was

4low won't spin the tires if you're easy on the gas. But if you don't have the best throttle control....it'll dig you in real quick.

I've never been out to smiths. I heard it's nice. Problem is I'm looking at an hour ride to get out there. I'm in Lindenhurst/Babylon. I normally head to demo or sore thumb.

I never heard of Demo, and have no idea where sore thumb even is! for an Island it's a pretty big place! LOL
Airing down below 20LBS with these low profile tires makes me nervous. The truck came with these 18" rims and I hate them, I'm too cheap to buy new ones though! :D

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:11 pm 
LOST Addict

Democrat Point. It's the end of the Robert Moses beaches. Sore Thumb is off ocean parkway by Cedar Beach and Overlook. You need the state 4x4 fishing pass for those. It also allows you to go on a few of the other beaches out your way.

18s kinda suck, but you should be fine around 17-18 psi if you want to go lower. If not try holding gears and/or using 4low for now.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

when airing down is it the extra width or the flex in the sidewall that helps in soft sand? I don't want to buy new rims, but if I went from the 235's to the 255's which is around a little over an inch wider be beneficial over the airing down (to 15LBS)?

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

oldanddusty wrote:
when airing down is it the extra width or the flex in the sidewall that helps in soft sand? I don't want to buy new rims, but if I went from the 235's to the 255's which is around a little over an inch wider be beneficial over the airing down (to 15LBS)?

It's more about the length of the tread. Think of a tank track. There's more of the tire's tread in contact with the ground as the tire pressure is lowered.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:12 am 
LOST Addict

The width helps. When you air down the side walls bulge giving a wide tread footprint to help float. So yes the 255s would help. Would also allow you to air down a tad more I bet.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ted15 wrote:
oldanddusty wrote:

It's more about the length of the tread. Think of a tank track. There's more of the tire's tread in contact with the ground as the tire pressure is lowered.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense !