It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transmission whine when coasting at low speed
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:43 am 
LOST Newbie

I recently had my transmission replaced less than 5k miles ago. Since I got it back from the dealer ( who replaced under warranty) I have had a audible noise coming from somewhere in the drivetrain whenever I am coasting at low speeds (less than 10mph). Car still runs and drives fine, just this noise is annoying and I don't know what it is. Anyone ever had this problem? Don't want to bring it back because its now out of warranty and they're probably gonna say I have a list full of repairs. The sound is hard to describe, there is no clunking or banging, its like a low pitch whirling noise that changes as the car decelerates. Any help is appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Transmission whine when coasting at low speed
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:46 pm 
LOST Addict

It honestly sounds like the torque converter whine. It's normal and extremely common in our tranny. KJs had it, even TJ/LJs do. If you put the Jeep in 1st and make it hold the gear it'll do it. Even in 2nd, just not as loud.

You're probably only noticing it below 10-15mph because the Jeep is staying in 1st. 15ish mph is close to the shift point for 2nd when you're babying it (like really babying it).